PDA

View Full Version : Diet and a 6 Pack - Clarification

Mr. Lu
08-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Hey everyone,

I have searched the site to try and answer some of my questions, there weren't any specific answers I found to what I was looking for. If you know of a thread or have a clear answer please let me know.

I am going for the "lean look" and I want those coveted 6 pack abs. I do 40 minutes of cardio, plus a hard workout daily. My question comes from dieting:

I've calculated my BMR and TDEE (Which estimates I should consume around 3500 calories per day). I need to consume about 500 calories less per day (or 3000 Kcal) to lose "a pound of fat per week." Here are my questions:

1) I have trouble consuming that many calories, on a low fat, low sugar diet, so how does not consuming the proper amount of calories negatively affect my fat loss goal?

2) Of that "1lb of fat" lost per week, how much of it is actually fat and how much is muscle, etc?

3) What are "empty calories?"

4) How does a high sugar/carbohydrate diet affect my goals?

5) I am still under the impression that if you aren't eating enough, consuming enough calories, that your body will not be as efficient in burning fat, or burning as many calories. Is there any truth to this?

6) Will my body continue to burn fat, during rest periods and activity periods, even if my caloric intakes are at a deficit?

7) I've also read "myths" that if you consume a lot of sugar, (i.e, fruit juices, candies, simple carbs) your body will burn those sugars and store the fat. If this is true, should I consume no sugar so that my body only burns fat?

I am keeping a journal of everything I eat and I feel like my diet is the one thing stopping me. If the questions seem simple, I am beginner so I am learning as I go.

Appreciate any help,

Peace,

Lu

tom183
08-08-2010, 03:19 AM
1) I have trouble consuming that many calories, on a low fat, low sugar diet, so how does not consuming the proper amount of calories negatively affect my fat loss goal?

You're likely to lose muscle as well.

2) Of that "1lb of fat" lost per week, how much of it is actually fat and how much is muscle, etc?

There are too many variables to give any sort of accurate prediction. Genetics, your bodyfat percentage, training age, diet and lifting routine being to most notable.

3) What are "empty calories?"

Calories which contain little to no nutritional value.

4) How does a high sugar/carbohydrate diet affect my goals?

How high?

6) Will my body continue to burn fat, during rest periods and activity periods, even if my caloric intakes are at a deficit?

Yes.

Mr. Lu
08-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the response. The reason I ask the dieting question is because I want 6Pack Abs, and I figure my diet is keeping me from it. I think I eat a lot of sugar/carbs, with maybe 50% of my calories coming from Carbs. Is this too high? I am not as concerned with losing muscle right now, as I am focused on getting my stomach flat and my 6 Pack.

And here is another question, maybe you, or someone else can answer: What foods can I eat, or what can I do to make up for my calorie deficiencies? I need to be at about 3,000 calories per day, as an estimate for fat loss, but I am currently consuming about 1,900kCal. What foods can I eat that will meet my caloric needs, but not add unnecessary fats or sugars.

f=ma
08-10-2010, 04:50 AM
you have to have muscle to diet down to in order to be showing abs. as a result, you should be very concerned with muscle loss. since you dont seem like you are a lifter, this is something you should be considering.

read the stick for info on lifting foods