PDA

View Full Version : Cash in Pro Powerlifting

Jake Impastato
08-08-2010, 08:04 AM
My question to all WannaBeBig members is how much money would need to be paid out to the winners of each weight class to get the best powerlifters in the world to compete on one stage. We would all like to see this happen and it is possible. No answer is too high or too low.

Lones Green
08-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Lots of guys travel pretty far distances to come to the pro/am every year. There's quite a bit to win at that one

ScottYard
08-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I think its more about spreading the love.

I would rather see 500 for first, 400 for second, 300 for third, 200 for fourth, 100 for fifth type payouts then only 2 guys out of 30 getting money.

JasonLift
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I would think especially for overseas lifters travel arrangements would be just as important.

vdizenzo
08-09-2010, 02:25 AM
First of all it needs to be broken down into 3-4 classes. There are just too many classes to make for good payouts in powerlifting. $1250, $1000, $750 (it can even be done by formula within the 4 classes). If you go 4 classes that's 8k total in payouts. Even third place can cover travel expenses this way. I have done a number of cash meets and my favorite meet still has to be Bench America I. Even though there was no money involved, It was the only event where we were treated like pro athletes. There were greeters who met with you, checked you in, they did not allow 5000 a**holes in the warm up room. They booked the hotel rooms (even though we paid). There were busses that took us to the arena. The thinking was taken out of everything. We just had to lift. Plus it was on tv. It was really nice being treated like that for once.

MarcusWild
08-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I think if you want everyone at the same meet, then the promoter would have to cover travel expenses. Athletes in the NFL don't pay for their own travel to games. You'd need some big sponsorship money. I still think supplement companies are where the money is at. That's a multi-billion dollar industry. The only way I can see that happening is if powerlifting gains traction on TV.

AJ Roberts
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
This is an interesting thread as I emailed 12 of the pro lifters from last years pro/am on behalf of Louie asking them about payout structure. Out of all those that responded only 1 person said they would like to see it spread out, so we stuck to the previous format.

I think one big thing we have realized with the pro/am this year is it's timing. A lot of guys don't like summer meets due to the heat, plus those with kids have just started the school year or getting ready to. We are tossing around the idea of moving the date next year.

Jake Impastato
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree it does take sponsors to come up with the money. Almost every big event in the country happens only due to sponsor support. But how much money will it take for the best in the world to say "I will put up MY money to take a chance at winning that much. So if I say the winner of each weight class gets five grand is that alot or does it need to be ten or twenty thousand if they win. There is certainly an amount that will make every great lifter say "hey, I've got to at least take my chances, I'd be crazy not to!" That's the number I would like to know. Look, Joe Weider doesn't fly the pro bodybuilders that compete in the Olympia to the event for free. Nor does Arnold fly anyone to the A. Classic but they come from all over on their own dime to compete because the money is there. Of course it is a prestgious event but so will any event that gives away large sums of money.

vdizenzo
08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't think you can compare bb to powerlifting. BB's will fly themselves all over for the exposure. The more they are seen the more likely they are to be used in mags, ads, sponsors, etc. The guys who gets 10th place on stage at a big pro show might now win much in terms of prize money, but can reap other financial rewards from the exposure. With powerlifting, the only financial gain is the prize money.

Jake Impastato
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah you are right they will go anywhere for exposure and powerlifters as a whole are not like that. Hopefully we can change some things in the near future. That's one reason why I am spending the money and putting in the time for the Clash for Cash. I think powerlifters deserve so much more for their efforts and I want to see them get the recognition they deserve. I just spoke with Dave from FoxSports and we are both really excited about the show and getting this one on TV. My vision of an unbelievable powerlifting meet with a ton a cash on the line that attracts worldwide attention is my goal.

vdizenzo
08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Are you going to have a bench only? Chicks dig big benchers, at least mine does.

Rob Luyando
08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
VIncent I thought you girl was digging me in Vegas. Lol!

I have done my share of money meets. I don't think there is a set limit as to what it would take to get the best of the best on the same platform. promote a good meet and they will come.

RayceeIII
08-13-2010, 11:27 PM
No chicks dig the full meet guys, there is no variety in the missionary only guys.

Jake Impastato
08-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Yes I would do a bench only division. Although looking down the road I would like to do a separate bench only meet of the same caliber. I am all for more quality cash meets for powerlifters. Things are looking really good for more great meets from PRPA and RAW504.

Ryan Celli
08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I like 3 wt classes done by wilks formula to determine winners. 114-181, 198-242, 275-shw. Even 2 wt classes would work 114-198, 220 - shw.

I like Vince's idea about money spread out over maybe 1st - 3rd.

It would be nice to just have travel expenses paid but the problem with that is that would all depend on where you were traveling from. If I see a cash meet that I think would cover some or most of my travel I would most likely do it.

But how much money? The most I've ever won was $1000. wooohooo!!!!

BloodandThunder
08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
You're onto the right idea regarding TV. TV is what powerlifting needs. Twenty years ago, if you asked what Strongman was, people would have looked at you like you were on crack. But then ESPN increased coverage and Met-Rx stepped in. Now, some people might know who Marius Pudz is because they saw him on ESPN2. Same thing with MMA. Started small, worked its way up with better, dare I say, infrastructure and sponsors. Eventually, it got on primetime TV. Now, MMA news is on ESPN and in daily local newspapers. We compete in an odd sport. Noone really knows about powerlifting, noone really knows about Kennelly or Frankl or any other big American powerlifter. I think Bench only meets on TV are the best way to go. Every gym rat knows what a bench press is. Noone outside of powerlifting cares about deadlifting or squatting to some reasonable depth. Tell a friend you squatted 800 lbs, they prob think you leg-pressed it or quarter squatted it.

I never competed in it, but I always liked the WPO breakdown of weight classes. To get the very best on the platform, say one flight each 8-10 lifters, you'd have to put up enough for each lifter to reason taking time off work to travel, focus on training, and commit to such an important meet. Maybe have a few qualifiers around the country, then everyone who makes the final stage is guaranteed some piece of the pie.

rinse
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
There should be qualifiers outside of the US also if you want oversea lifters. Setting a qualifying total probably is the best idea.

Eric Downey
08-19-2010, 09:11 PM
i speak from experience. Jake pays cash on the spot for the winners, and the have a wealth of sponsorship back there concept of a powerlifting meet.

Jake Impastato
08-21-2010, 07:12 AM
As the sport continues to evolve I am dedicated to putting together meets that are prestigious enough to attract the best lifters in the country. Eventually there will be qualifying totals needed to enter the Clash. It may be as early as next year. I would like to be able to provide an expense coupon for top lifters traveling to our meet. It would be something that would have to be won based on their placing in the previous years Clash and not totals posted in other meets. The outstanding lifters(lwt men, hwt men, top female) would probably be the first to be offered travel expenses. I do like seeing the money spread out but not too thin to where the top guys don't get big cash. This is part of the reason for having all the weight classes. First through third will get paid next year but that will not take away from the higher placings. I understand that everyone cannot win but at the end of the day if you place second or third at least you can win your hotel money or entry money back. Right now there will probably be a few going home with $3000 cash and many others winning all their travel expenses back plus some extra cash in this years meet. I think that is really good for just the second year of this meet.

Priest
08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I have asked around about this and most I have talked to said they would like $ spread out between 1st-3rd.
And having 3 weight classes. 198and under, 220-242, 243 and up.

I agree with Rob. Promote a good meet, give out some $ and folks will show. I think the idea of a top 3 payout is cool.

seK
08-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I have always been under the impression that most power lifters are in it for the actual competition not the prizes which are pretty small in comparison to some other pro sports. Meaning if you gather up some of the top PLers and put on a good event most will show just to complete against the best.

rinse
08-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I have always been under the impression that most power lifters are in it for the actual competition not the prizes which are pretty small in comparison to some other pro sports. Meaning if you gather up some of the top PLers and put on a good event most will show just to complete against the best.

But to do that you need cash since Nationals isn't was it used to be. To many feds. You need big cash(big for powerliftin) to get the best on the same platform.

Jake Impastato
08-28-2010, 07:56 AM
There is going to be changes for the better each year in the Clash for Cash. I will announce that we will pay the hotel room and entry fee for this year's overall winners if they return to defend their title the following year. We will also pay first through third places next year. In the future I will continue to offer the top lifters the incentives they need to step onto our platform and compete. PRPA and RAW504 will have the best competition for raw powerlifters in the country. This year we are stacked with talent and just a few spots away from hitting the cap of 100 lifters. With only two weeks remaining the field will be full and the stage will be set for an awesome show complete with stage lights, smoke, a pro DJ , FoxSportsTV and a few other great shows in between. Come check out this event for there has never been a show like this one before!