PDA

View Full Version : does it matter

cwny69
05-11-2002, 12:44 PM
is it easier to lose weight when you are a teen or when your an adult and does

and i heard when your a teen you only need to burn 1800 calories to lose a pound

are these statements true

InferiorDesign
05-11-2002, 12:51 PM
your metabolism starts slowing down when you stop growing, and it progressively downscales from there. but it depends highly on what kind of shape your in, an out of shape teenager will have more trouble burning cals than a 35 year old olympic runner

Tiare
05-11-2002, 01:06 PM
1800 calories sounds right for a pound of muscle, but a pound of fat has 3500 calories wether it's on a teenager or an adult.

cwny69
05-11-2002, 01:06 PM
thanks but does a teen need to burn 3500 to lose a pound of fat or is it different

InferiorDesign
05-11-2002, 01:08 PM
dont think of it like that. how much calories you burn during exercise is a very small amount compared to how much is caused by a higher metabolism, which is created by doing excersize.

Wizard
05-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by cwny69
is it easier to lose weight when you are a teen or when your an adult and does

and i heard when your a teen you only need to burn 1800 calories to lose a pound

are these statements true

1. when you re a teen, it is easier as your growth hormone levels are higher than when you re an adult as well as testosterone levels.

2.a pound is a pound: you need to eliminate the same amount of calories to lose a pound but as I said above, a teen will lose it easier than an adult

Behemoth
05-11-2002, 04:07 PM
dont think of it like that. how much calories you burn during exercise is a very small amount compared to how much is caused by a higher metabolism, which is created by doing excersize.

Inferior, are you telling me that if I go out and run all the time and do tons and tons of weight training and am constantly burning calories that my metabolism will increase, and burn more calories if I sit on the couch for a day than I would have if I never did all that exercise?