PDA

View Full Version : Gear/Squat Suit Question

CiceroBrian
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Hello All,

How much assistance should I expect from a squat or deadlift suit? Or are wraps sufficient and do I need a belt?
I am pretty new to powerlifting and most of the gear leaves me a little confused, I just ordered an Inzer Bench Shirt and while on the site I was looking at Squat and DL Suits, but I am a little confused as to the benefits of training/using them or if they would even be useful for me at this point.
As a starting point I squat and deadlift somewhere in the 500 lb range, and I bench without a shirt using 385 for between 6-8, but I have not tried a 1 RM max in years (for fear of the results). I have always trained with good form (squats below parallel, pause on the bench) in the 6-8 rep range but I have noticed that almost all the powerlifting protocols call for a reduced rep range and a wide variety of explosive assistance work, subsequently I am a bit lost as to whether I should work up to using gear or whether I should just get acclimated to it now.
My goal is to somehow get a 2000 LB total in the next 24 months through any combination of numbers, I am in my 40's so I get to lift as a Master and I will be lifting in either the 275 or 308 class depending on how much my body grows or shrinks from the training.
Sorry for the long winded post, I appreciate any help you can give me.

barbell01
08-11-2010, 04:19 PM
just order a pair of briefs and get nuts! and a belt yes.

barbell01
08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
O, and your definitly gonna wanna find a group of benchers to help you out with that shirt. DO NOT go at it alone! warning.

MarcusWild
08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Step 1: Find a group of powerlifters to train with.

It speeds up the learning curve an incredible amount. You can search for a powerlifting gym near you.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

ScottYard
08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
An experienced gear efficient full power guy can get up to 700 lbs out of gear. Decide what you feel comfortable in. You can go 100% raw, raw with just wraps, single ply, or multi ply. If you go single ply Then you have to figure out what single ply means to you. Monolift or walked out.

AtLeast get a Belt and some wraps and go from there.

Lol good luck . As you can see you have choices but there's no right or wrong way. Only what you prefer.

theBarzeen
08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
+1 on finding a good team to train with..... having experienced lifters to train with will do more than gear alone. Where are you located?