PDA

View Full Version : Katana vs. Super Katana

AdamBAG
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on the differences in a Katana and Super Katana? I've benched a few times in a standard Katana and liked it. However, I see most are wearing a Super Katana. Does anyone have experience in both? Likes, dislikes? Difference in carryover?

Thanks!

90kg_pwrlftr
08-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on the differences in a Katana and Super Katana? I've benched a few times in a standard Katana and liked it. However, I see most are wearing a Super Katana. Does anyone have experience in both? Likes, dislikes? Difference in carryover?

Thanks!

I have used both. I get about 10% more from the SK but I have issues getting it set the same each time so my touch point is all over the place. I went back to the regular Katana for USAPL bench nats this year.

The only diff is the collar. The SK has a re-inforced scoop neck that you can really jack down.

AdamBAG
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply.

dammstrate
08-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't remember your body type Adam, but beware the SK if you are long armed, or don't have much
arch/belly. The big collar on the SK locks up like a mo-fo right at the bottom. I can 1-board LOTS of weight
that I can never get to touch properly. Also, at some point, the Katana material changed to NXG super+. So,
if you have a old Katana (say more than 18 months), it might be slightly thinner material (NXG+) vs. the
current material.

Ben F Burgess
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Big difference in carryover IME.

I only got another 10lbs or so out of a regular Kat vs an F6.

In the super im currently getting an extra 30-35 lbs vs an F6 and i dont even jack the collar down much.

AdamBAG
08-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't remember your body type Adam, but beware the SK if you are long armed, or don't have much
arch/belly. The big collar on the SK locks up like a mo-fo right at the bottom. I can 1-board LOTS of weight
that I can never get to touch properly. Also, at some point, the Katana material changed to NXG super+. So,
if you have a old Katana (say more than 18 months), it might be slightly thinner material (NXG+) vs. the
current material.

Thanks Greg, that's a good point on the material. I'm not sure how old the ones I've used are. They feel like the new material, but I'm not sure.

I usually don't have issues touching in shirts. I'm 6'1" and 250ish. Arms aren't super long, but I get a pretty decent arch b/c I have a fairly long torso compared to my legs (or at least this is what I'm told).

Big difference in carryover IME.

I only got another 10lbs or so out of a regular Kat vs an F6.

In the super im currently getting an extra 30-35 lbs vs an F6 and i dont even jack the collar down much.

Thanks Ben, good information.

robchris
08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Adam,
Are you single or multi-ply? I've used the 1-ply SK and IMO its the best single-ply hands down!

However, in the 2-ply alot of guys have trouble touching at my gym. I love the Metal shirts in the 2-ply!
RC

Chris Smith
08-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I am double ply--used both. I have a Super Katana with the neck made out of the F-6 material--Ken A did this for me. It took all the issues out of not touching. I am short armed, and still have trouble touching that last inch. But with the F-6 neck, it made it alot easier to touch, as it has some more stretch to it. I highly recommend going that route. Any questions get with me.

Smitty

Chris Smith
08-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I didnt mean neck--I meant the collar of the shirt is the F-6 material. Sorry--been setting up the Pro-Am all day, my mind aint right. lol

AdamBAG
08-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Adam,
Are you single or multi-ply? I've used the 1-ply SK and IMO its the best single-ply hands down!

However, in the 2-ply alot of guys have trouble touching at my gym. I love the Metal shirts in the 2-ply!
RC

Robchris, I actually compete in both. I've done mostly multiply and wore a Rage-X with all the trimmings. I've done one single-ply meet (USAPL) and wore a single-ply Katana. I bombed in that meet, but it was because of me, not the shirt.

I am double ply--used both. I have a Super Katana with the neck made out of the F-6 material--Ken A did this for me. It took all the issues out of not touching. I am short armed, and still have trouble touching that last inch. But with the F-6 neck, it made it alot easier to touch, as it has some more stretch to it. I highly recommend going that route. Any questions get with me.

Smitty

Chris, thanks for that info. Luckily Ken is local here so I should be able to get exactly what I need.