PDA

View Full Version : Smolov

TKisner
08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
So over this summer, i've traveled all over the place and done alot of cool things. With the increase in travel came a serious decrease in working out. Now that i'm back at school I have access to a full, albeit old and crappy, gym. I didn't really know what program I wanted to get on. I have a desire to increase my athletic performance, decrease my body fat, and get brutally strong. So I picked smolov. So far it's been fantastic. My first week which I finished today went like. All numbers are off of a 380lb estimated max.

4x9x266lbs
5x7x285lbs
7x5x305lbs
10x3x325lbs

The first workout was a bear. It was my first time doing BB squats in at least 2 months. I'm not a high rep guy. As the week went on the more I workout the more the soreness is subsiding. For assistance i've been doing chins pushups and db rows. Both my shoulders are kinda crappy so i'm working on that. I feel incredibly more solid as far as my form goes. The repetition is really grooving the movement. Stretching alot and sleeping alot are definetly helping.

TKisner
08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I've started walking to the gym. It's a 10 minute walk. I feel like its a great way to warm up on the way and then on the way back its the beginning of my active recovery. Anyhou, Saturday was the 4x9 day. I warmed up with alot of bodyweight squats then 135x5, 185x3, 235x3. The working weight was 285lbs. It felt rock solid. I feel like this is the best my form has been since high school. I'm initiating the movement at the hips. Knees are staying wide. I'm bracing against the belt well. They are all deep as well. I'm getting the top of my thigh to parallel. I've got pretty large thighs so I know i'm getting down there. The depth will hopefully really get my posterior chain. I'd like to become faster and be able to deadlift a house. Deep squats will help both of those.

On sunday I did my little upper body maintenance workout.
A1 5 pull ups
A2 45 seconds stretching lower body
A3 10 fat man pullups
A4 45 seconds stretching lower body.
I did that for five rounds then I wanted to see what I could bench just to see how weak i've gotten. I got up to 265 for a single. Without a handoff or a spot I didn't want to go any higher. I did pull ups in between benching. So I did a grand total of 50 pull ups. I followed that up with db curls and db rows. Today is the 5x7 workout I have 305lbs scheduled. I'm going to rape it. It should be fun.

ELmx479
08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I have only read about Smolov recently but it looks insane. What does the layout of your entire week look like for the other lifts also? Good luck with the program.

TKisner
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
@elmx479 I'm really not doing much outside of squatting. On my days off from squatting I am going in doing 50 chins/pull ups combined + I'm doing about 100 fat man rows, and that is it. I'm really not too worried about my upper body. I'm sure i'll maintain and if not muscle memory will bring back whatever I lose quickly.

The 5x7 workout went well. The 305lbs didn't feel too bad. On the last two sets I had to pause a little bit but nothing too serious. Tomorrow is 325 7x5. Should be fun.

I should mention while i'm gojng through this whole ordeal I am cutting weight. Right now i'm eating roughly 2500 cals a day. Typically less than 120G carbs, @ least 200g Protein, and then the rest I fill in with fat. Since starting this i'm down @ least 6 or 7lbs. Some of that is bloat associated with the fact that I jumped into this diet and smolov after going on pretty much 18 days of vacation. I'm looking alot leaner, I've got the beginnings of a V-Taper and some vascularity in my arms. Hopefully I can continue to squat @ this rate without having to go into a caloric surplus. What i really think is making this alot more possible and probable is the fact that I started taking results. This is also something which I think is making the 6-7lb weightloss more impressive is the fact that i started taking results which is good for a couple lbs of water retention (creatine)

TKisner
08-26-2010, 12:02 PM
The 325 7x5 workout felt great. I felt stable in the hole. Broke with the hips nicely I'm getting very low which is causing me to lean forward slightly. I need to fix that besides that though i'm happy. 10x3 with 345lbs is later today

TKisner
08-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Yesterday was the 10x3 day. Warm up went like this
bar x10
135x 5
225x 3
315x3
345lb work sets. As I was going through the work sets I started to feel a pain in the middle of my right quad. I got all the way through the 9th set and decided not to push it. Hopefully two days off and stretching, which I haven't been doing as much of, should help straighten it out.

TKisner
08-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Well the right quad felt good the left one started feeling iffy. lol. Either way I got the 4x9 with 295lb in. So im on my way.

Cards
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Good luck with your training. One thing I've heard is the routine helps to teach mental toughness. Towards the end I hear it's extremely intense.

TKisner
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't get an upperbody workout in Sunday. It was the first saturday night back at school so I got wrecked. It was a good time. I was back at it today though. Squatting workout was 5x7 with 315lbs. It was very tough. I wasn't sure if I was gonna get all 5 sets in. I did the workout faster than I would have like to because I needed to get back to my house and eat before a big chunk of class. I got it all done though. @ cards you are very right about this being difficult stuff. I've never finished a program all the way through. This is going to be the one. For as long as I have been picking my own workouts I've done a great job of sticking to workouts focused around compound exercises with effective accessory movements. I just want to do this one all the way through to say I did it.

On a diet note I recently bought some betaine hcl. Which supposedly helps re-acidify your stomach, aiding in protein digestion, and also killing off any bad intestinal flora in your intestines. I have ulcerative colitis so I know I don't absorb nutrients well. I'm hoping that better protein absorbtion will really help my gains, and that the killing of the bad intestinal flora will help my health. I need to stop being lazy and go pick up some raw milk so I can get some good bacteria back. I'll never take antibiotics unless I really really have to again. To me its just not worth it.

I'll get my upper body maintenance workout in tomorrow. I need to decide whether or not I want to do the 2 week break before maxing and starting the intense phase or If I want to just jump right in. I was thinking about specializing on my back for 2 weeks, with lower body work being plyometric in nature. We'll see i've got a couple more days to decide.

TKisner
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
7x5 335lbs. Wasn't a problem @ all. The first two sets I thought it was gonna be tough, but I felt stronger the further I went in. Part of it was I had to adjust where I placed the bar on my back because it was bent, but it went well. Tomorrow is 10x3 W/355lbs should be good.

The Betaine HCL seems to be affecting me. It is having effect on my Bowel Movements, I know thats not a topic talked about too much, but intestinal health is paramount to overall health so its good to see an effect.

TKisner
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
10x3 with 355 was not a problem. It felt great although the last couple sets were hard work. Now I have to figure out how long I want to wait before I max out again.

TKisner
09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Well I did my max squat attempt today. Worked up to 425 buried it deep in the hole, and powered out of the hole with pretty good speed. Form was good, it was a solid rep. I tried to hit 455. I tightened the belt a notch tighter than before and went for it. I was in the hole I made sure to go pretty far below parallel, but my chest came forward in the bottom I ended up dumping it. I feel like doing the belt tighter was a mistake it just didn't feel right. I'm happy I got 425. I had a splitting headache the whole time, I had been stressed out from school and it felt good to get a nice lift in.

TKisner
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Well I skipped the extra transition week and jumped into the intense phase. Monday was 3x285 4x327 3x4x370 5x370 I plugged in 435 instead of 425 as my max. I feel like it was a bad decision so today I backed it down to 425 as my max. The workout looked like 3x255 3x300 4x340 3x3 380 2x5x360. I forgot that the joeskopec calc is off on the 3x3 set of wednesday week 1 so I ended up doing I think like 40lbs more than I was supposed to for that set, but the important thing is I got it.

TKisner
09-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Friday
4x270 4x290 5x4x340lbs. Smolov is and has been my bitch. I'm loving it. As soon as it's over im gonna take about a month off from specialization and do a DL one. I looked at the formulas online. If I can do all the sets and reps in Smolov in 4 weeks I should be putting up a 480lb max. I think I can do it. We'll see, my squats already up an easy 50 480 would make it a solid 100.

Sat.
Pallof Presses 5 sets of 3 reps with 10 second holds at the end of each rep with 40 lbs.
Suitcase carries with trap bar and 25's on each side. I went all the way around the track @ my school switching 3 times.
Floor press x5 135 185 225 240 245
Tricep Extension 150x5x5

Cards
09-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Looking strong in here, glad to see you're liking the routine. It's nice to see a journal on this routine, they're few and far in between.

TKisner
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Looking strong in here, glad to see you're liking the routine. It's nice to see a journal on this routine, they're few and far in between.
Your very right, there isn't too much on Wannabebig about Smolov. That's part of the reason I started the journal. Plus its a nice way to keep track of progress.

Today's workout went as follows 3x275 3x315 4x362 3x3x380 3x404. I was kinda nervous about how this workout was gonna go with the final 3x404. My groin was very tight in the beginning sets, but once I stretched out I got all the sets!

TKisner
09-25-2010, 01:52 PM
3x275 3x315 4x362 4x5 385lbs. This was a toughy. The bar I was squatting with was bent a weird way and I was dumb and too lazy and didn't swap it out. My abs are very weak. When this is over im going to focus on them more. I was falling forward in the hole more than I would like.

TKisner
10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Heres what i've been up to
Last Week
Monday 3x255,3x300,3x340,5x5x385
Wednesday 2x255,3x300,3x340,2x3x404
Friday 3x275,3x320,3x360,4x3x404
This Week
Monday 3x300,4x340,5x5x380
Wednesday 3x300,3x340,4x3x385
I've learned from this process that my abs are super weak. I can squat a ton more with a belt. Im looking forward to doing my last workout tomorrow and then maxing in about a week or so.

TKisner
10-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I finished Smolov. I ended up only doing 1 week of switching instead of 2. I also didn't take a week off to test my new max. I ended up doing 450lbs on the monday after doing my final workout on Friday. The 450 shot up pretty fast. I would be good for at least 460-70. I just wanted to start my show and go workout. So when it was all said and done my actual max went up 70lbs, but in actuality I really got about 80-90 lbs over 9 weeks.