PDA

View Full Version : how many carbs

tonelo26
08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
im about 215 not sure bf but its not low i still am trying to put on about 15 to 20 good lbs. I dont want to put on fat so im just confused on how many carbs i should be taking in and from what sources?

ehopkins932
08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Its different for everybody. Im 157 and take in ~220g on my training days and ~120 on my "rest" days to stay lean and be able to cut to 148 for meets. I have a friend who is 15lbs lighter and can eat 400g a day and not get fat. Everyone tolerates carbs differently. I know you are looking for a general formula, but none really exist. If you already have a high-ish BF, its a combination of too many carbs/cals. I dont know if you know who Charles Poliquin is, but he is a very reputable trainer. He estimates 70% of the population to be carb intolerant, so take that for what its worth.

....But good carb sources are:

Waxy Maize (PWO)
Potatoes
Oats
Brown Rice
Fruits/Green Veggies (these should be added due to their alkalizing effect)
Etc.

There is a lot of variation, anything low-GI is best. Some people dont tolerate carbs from milk/wheat well, so keep that in mind. If you are trying to stay lean and playing it safe, then have your pro/carb shake, a pro/carb meal an hour or so after, and maybe another pro/carb meal depending. For off days you can just cut out the shake.

Play around with the macros and log what you eat. Stay on whatever plan you have for 2 weeks and adjust from there.

tom183
08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
....But good carb sources are:

Waxy Maize (PWO)
Potatoes
Oats
Brown Rice
Fruits/Green Veggies (these should be added due to their alkalizing effect)
Etc.

Agreed.

Are you counting calories? What is your maintenance?