PDA

View Full Version : Need help breaking my Coke habit

lawndarts
08-26-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm strung out on coke and can't seem to get off of the stuff. I'm talking about the soda here. I've tried coke zero, but it's just not the same. I hate water, but I do drink it- it just can't be my drink of choice. Tea is an involved process to prepare, and sports drinks have tons of sugar in them.

How do I say no to this syrupy goodness straight from hell that seems to hate my abs? I eat clean as can be, my only vice is coke.:evillaugh:

chaddukes
08-26-2010, 08:23 AM
God No!!!!!

seK
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Commit.

SCmmaFAN
08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Are you addicted to the caffeine or the sugar?

lawndarts
08-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Are you addicted to the caffeine or the sugar?

I think its more the sugar than the caffeine, but definitely both. Also some of it boils down to just plan habit. I'm used to have a soda with my meals.

I know that sugar affects brain chemicals, so it may be more than just a "comfort factor", but I certainly feel better while drinking one.

I try to commit, and I've had some success in the past. But this is beyond hard. It's ridiculous how much I crave them. Its not a simple matter of will power.

Kiff
08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
All addiction is a matter of willpower, just degrees of how much.

If it helps then cut them down by one can a week or a day whatever you can untill it is only one can a day then one on workout days as a treat then none.

That is if you cant just stop of course.

JakeFurfaro
08-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Powerade zero is pretty good. Zero sugar and zero calories, it sure beats drinking water with every meal! Blue and grape are the best flavors IMO

Ascalapius
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
You may have a combination of factors going on there. Caffeine, Sugar and a psychological addiction. Why not try to identify the cause, switch to no caffeine coke. If you still crave, then caffeine was the problem. If you dont, then caffeine was not.

For thepsych addiction, stimulus control ( sc) is an ffective treatment. Say u always eat a bag of chips when watching TV then sc tries to identify and remove the association between them.

I hope this helps.

ThomasG
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Op, I've got two words I want you to pay close attention to them. STOP IT!!

Alex.V
08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Switch to meth.

I mean, um, low carb monster.

Actually, tell you the truth, years and years ago I had a bad coca cola addiction. Forced myself to start drinking diet coke, even though I hated it at the time. After three weeks, I couldn't go back.

lawndarts
08-26-2010, 01:34 PM

I tried switching to the low carb monster and I swear that I started storing fat around my waist. I don't know what caused it, but I got puffy around the abs.

I think my coke habit is mainly a pyschological addiction. I'm trying to replace it with coke zero. I'll just go this route longer than I have before to see if I can break the habit.

It was hell trying to break my chip habit (I was a grab bag fiend), but I finally found that protein bars did the trick.

nejar462
08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Lock yourself in your room for 5 days with access to only water and healthy food.

It will be the hardest, darkest 5 days of your life.

drew
08-27-2010, 05:55 AM
I have the same problem. The only way to quit is to stop drinking any kind of soda, diet too. After a while you won't "need" it anymore.

seK
08-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Switch to meth.

Actually, tell you the truth, years and years ago I had a bad coca cola addiction. Forced myself to start drinking diet coke, even though I hated it at the time. After three weeks, I couldn't go back.

I am the same once although once I switched to Diet Coke I became addicted to it.... I am cutting back allot, I am down to one can a day.
What I wouldn't suggest is switching to a drink which is even worse for you in higher quantities such as an energy drinks, sports drinks or even vitamin water.

Skalami
08-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Make the switch to diet coke, i know this sucks but after a few weeks it wont be as hard and you will loads better.

Codeguru
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Don't waste money on that crap diet soda. Diet food is a bad mentality to get into, you're just pussy footing around making actual good eating habits for yourself. Just start drinking ice cold water with every meal and you will get used to it. And always make it ice cold, I can't stand to drink warm water either. I find the Britta filter gets all the horrible aftertaste out of tap water. My advice is get the regular coke and only drink it once a day or a few times a week and always keep an eye on the calories, 1 coke means less of something else hopefully without protein. I always drink a Vault/Mountain Dew/Sunkist before my Tae Kwon Do classes to wake me up and give me an extra shot of carbs and sugars. It works well to control the cravings. If you're going to drink it, you might as well use it to be more active when you're going to be burning off calories anyway...

Codeguru

Iplan
08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I did got off cafeine accidentally about 10 years ago.

1. Buy decaf tea bags (which my wife did),

2. Drink "cafine free Coke" which is sold in 2-liter bottles.

After a few weeks you'll be "off cafeine" ~ and feeling much better.

Eventually, I also dropped the tea, and the Cafeine free Coke. Now it's just milk, Orange juice, and water. Just be warned, drinking a coke when you haven't had cafeine in your system in a few months is quite the hassle, as you won't sleep well for 2 or 3 nights.....

GWilly
08-29-2010, 08:15 PM
I use to have the same exact problem and what lead me to stop it was pretty much all mental strength. A good friend of mine kept telling me to stop drinking soda (dr. pepper/mr pibb) and i would quit for a few weeks and start back up on it.

But thinking of football, i forced myself to quit so I could get into better shape and not let the soda drag me back. I also started taking creatine and thought to myself that I needed to drink more water so therefore i cut out of the soda to drink more water....

A little over a month later and I feel a lot better. I can run farther, faster, and I just feel overall better. I do drink 1-2 20oz diet rootbeers after a long 8 hours of work on the weekends but they are 0 calories and they taste the same as regular rootbeer so I'm good...

Crimea River
08-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I never felt any kind of "draw" to soft drinks, in and of themselves -- like just to be drinking them all day (which I know some people have a SERIOUS problem with). It was always something like how people say different kind of wines go w/different foods -- how exactly would you go about eating a double cheeseburger, pizza, popcorn, or fried (this, that, or the other) w/a friggin glass of water?? Huh?? ;)

Once I started eating better (and by the same token, only when I don't), it really ceased being an issue.

It did take time to adjust, and I might still have a coke in the house I'd stop and take a drink of, but other than that, I really didn't desire it all that much. And, even when I do eat bad and just have coke w/a meal, I don't drink nearly as much as I used to.

I did try the coke zero crap, too, and I just can't stand it. It may as well be Pepsi, cuz it don't taste **** like coke, which also makes it easier to just opt for water.

Liftersize
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Tejava

shootermcgavin7
08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I used to drink Coke and Monster like crazy. I eventually switched to Diet Coke and the LowCarb Monster (I believe Belial suggested this). It makes me shudder when I think of how much damage I probably did to myself.

I eventually just gave it all up, not sure why or when. I drink tons of water, green tea, red wine; some beer and milk. That's about it.

Pretty sure you could just quit cold-turkey. It isn't like you're trying to kick cigarettes or anything. If that doesn't work - follow Belail's advice and switch to diet Coke to kick the sugar, then drop that to kick the caffeine.

ccanter
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Coke Zero, Pepsi Max, and Diet Dr. Pepper all taste like "real" soda. They taste a bit different than Coke, Pepsi, and DP, but they are much sweeter than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi and they have no calories/no sugar.

If it wasn't for these drinks I'd be really fat right now.

ApieceofMEAT
09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
damn man c'mon.... stop being a pussy and just stop drinking the ****

skinnbones
09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm actually in the middle of trying to stop drinking coke myself, so I know what you are going through.

31 years old and I've drank coke my whole life.

I would say by far that caffeine free coke taste the closest. Although it is a good start, I have finally made the commitment to drink only water.

This first week and a half has been pretty rough, mainly due to the fact that I have only drank water in my life when I was playing a sport or had a long run. With meals, coke or sweet tea was there.

I'm basically working on it by drinking water for lunch and sweet tea for dinner (I would rarely drink coke for dinner). I have also had success at a restaurant this week and drank water, which wasn't that bad (and the money you save from that is pretty huge if you eat out a lot)

Over the next couple of weeks I'll end up taking out sweet tea and forcing myself down to water only. I think it is more of a mental thing overall and repetition. This will be cured in time most likely as long as I care what I look like. (because this is the ultimate reason that I'm trying to get off the wagon anyway) So I insert what I think I'll look like if I continue, and then I'm good.

xray328
09-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I just quit drinking that stuff a month and a half ago myself. I was drinking a 2 liter a day. No wonder I was /am fat. I went to iced tea with splenda and haven't turned back. Now I'm even drinking..are you ready....water. Splenda has really helped out though. I know it's still not like plain water, but it gets me by.