PDA

View Full Version : benching with chains for raw lifting

thewicked
08-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Looking for a solid tricep workout post benching and close grip benches bother my shoulders abit. I was considering doing bench with chains after my regular bench rotation. Better to use more chains or more straight weight? What would be the typical set/rep recommendation of this? I was thinking 3 sets of 4-8 reps depending...

tnathletics2b
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Just curious because I want to learn...

How would doing the same bench movement but with chains put more emphasis on the tris? Or are you just looking for a burnout on them? Interested to see what people have to say, because I am seeking the same thing you are Wicked!

thewicked
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
just more tricep work in with a movement that mimics the bench press more

ScottYard
08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
The close grip chain benches will still feel ****ty on your shoulder. Try 5 boards with a close grip. They will hit the tris well and not tax the shoulders too much.

ProjectGoliath
08-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Chains will hit triceps more because it makes the easiest part of the rep (the lockout i.e. all triceps) harder.

I wouldnt however do chain after normal bench. Do chain bench first then go onto a tricep specific exercise afterwards.

When you say it bothers your shoulders? How so? usually narrower grip is better for shoulders especially if your arms are 45˚ and not 90˚. Possibly dont go quite so narrow.

Otherwise i would do any other 'big' tricep movement. Weighted dips? Possibly incline close grip bench? Standing pullovers with a dumbbell? See what hurts your shoulder and what doesnt and go with that.

TP

(edit to add subscription to thread)

robchris
08-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Agree w/ scott.... High bd. work & rack lock-outs for heavy tricep work. The limited ROM will be easier on your shoulders.

We generally do these after ME bench then finish up w/ DB roll-backs/ key-presses or band push-downs as a finisher.

NickAus
08-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Chain 3 board for sets of 5 will work well.

You can do this after max work or speed work (not both).