PDA

View Full Version : Question about training with straps down.

jaco1159
08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I have been power lifting for almost 3 years now and am starting to compete by the end of this year. I recently purchased an Inzer hardcore single ply, and have been training with straps down on squat days. When I started using it I noticed my hamstrings never really got sore anymore. Well last week on my DE day I decided to go raw and the few days after I was really sore. Should I be training with straps down still? Or should I maybe keep training raw? Or maybe just train in briefs? Any advice and input would be appreciated.

ScottYard
08-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Your hams werent sore b/c they arent working as much due to the support of the suit. Dont read too much into it. Soreness is part of the game. Just be sure to know your gear.

Wear your gear close to meets. If you are far out(more then 12 weeks or so) then train raw. But if you are squatting wide a pair of briefs should be worn on both days. If not your hips will get torn up quick.

mastermonster
08-29-2010, 05:27 PM
If you are training for single ply meets I'd say also to squat with the straps down and save the hips. If you are getting ready to compete multi-ply and will use briefs then train in the briefs (same thing really. The last couple of meets I've done I only put my suit on the last set or two when I'm ready to go straps up. I'd address the glutes and hamstrings by adding a direct move for them like SLDL, or goodmornings or similar moves. Good luck! P.S. I only squat raw for a short period of time just before I do a raw meet; and I squat very wide.

NickAus
08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I get a lot more soreness raw, the hamstrings have to do more work as Scott said.

I would do a mix of raw and suit bottoms so you get the extra muscle work in but still get used to the heavier weights on your back.

One is not better than the other...

jaco1159
08-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the help. yeah I'm training for a single ply meet, so I think I will mix it up and switch between raw and equipped during my ME and DE cycles. And then going straps down for the circa max phase.

NickAus
08-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Good luck, let us know your progress!!