PDA

View Full Version : Training for vertical Jump

Shaunton
09-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Shaun.

I do alot of sport which demands a good vertical jump.

Unfortunately, genetically, the part of my calves which develop greatest is the side part of the calf muscle (tibialis anterior- I think).

I have been longing to increase the back part (gastrocnemius), which hopefully, if not just for visibly making my legs more proportionate, also help make my vertical jump increase.
----------------

I am open to any advice regarding anything, even bizzare methods for training this part of the calf if anyone can help me

Travis Bell
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Best advice is to quit training your calves. They don't help you jump

Squatting and deadlifting to train your posterior chain is what will increase your jump, along with some plyo training.

Shaunton
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Best advice is to quit training your calves. They don't help you jump

Squatting and deadlifting to train your posterior chain is what will increase your jump, along with some plyo training.

lol thanks, but yeah it was also a goal of mine to target that part of my calves anyway :/

I do heavy heavy leg press and will return to deadlifting soon. I just dont like the idea of squatting w/o PT advice first. else i may injure etc. always worked around squatting - maybe its something to look into :/

Travis Bell
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Leg press isn't going to really help your vertical jump near as much as squatting and pulling will.

I have no advice on how to target your specific lobe of your calf, but like I said earlier, if your goal is to be better at your sport, training your calves is going to be about as effective as training to wiggle your ears.

IronDiggy
09-10-2010, 11:45 AM
^ I can vouch, I can wiggle my ears and my vert sucks.

Kiff
09-11-2010, 01:52 PM
^ I can vouch, I can wiggle my ears and my vert sucks.

lol.

Dgro
09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
training for a big meaty gastroc and training for a badass vertical are two different tasks. pick one and report back.

Shaunton
09-14-2010, 01:33 AM
update: I have began some basketball specific plyometric exercise, also I am dropping calf raises entirely and doing squat instead. more worth the time, and better goes with my other goal.