PDA

View Full Version : Least unhealthy way to crash diet

FuriousGeorge
09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I've started lifting again. The only difference between now and the other ten times I've re-started lifting in my life is that I'm not skinny anymore. I'm overweight.

I'm about 5'11" and 180 lbs at 20% body fat.

It's been about two months, and I'm happy with my progress, but I'm still quite fat. I may look a bit thinner, but that is only because my chest protrudes a bit farther out then my gut now.

I'd like to lose ten pounds quickly, as I'm getting sick of carrying this goo around with me everywhere I go.

I was thinking of eating nothing but V-8 juice and milk for a week to see what happens (not really but kinda), but I thought you guys might have a better idea.

The good news is that my weight has stabilized through no more than watching how much I eat, if not what I eat, so I figure if I can drop 10 lbs I can probably keep it off if I keep going to the gym.

Joe Black
09-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Try not to go too extreme or you're just going to lose a ton of lean muscle - try and do something in between.

I like this approach - http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/elemental-fat-loss-six-weeks-to-grecian-proportions/

seK
09-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Personally I have crash dieted to lose a few pounds and didn't have much trouble with it. I would get ahold of Lyle McDonald's-The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. He makes it very clear that crash dieting isn't healthy by any means and the book is only for those whom wish to do it even though there are risks. He will give a full outline of suppliments, foods and workouts.
Even if you don't plan on doing it his books are a great resource to have around.

blakjak12
09-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Don't go on a crash diet; make a lifestyle change. A crash diet will only be a temporary solution that will probably leave you with less muscle and not looking or feeling much better than you did before.

zela
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm in the similar boat as you. I started Lyle McDonalds Rapid Fat Loss, like suggested earlier and its been great so far. I already feel much lighter and went from 192 to 186 in 5 days so far. A good portion of that is water weight, but its only a 10 day thing, it has you eating alot (for me 300g of protein a day with minimal fat and carbs, usually 10-20 is what I end up with). It should also shred about 10lbs off my body weight with probably 6 of that being fat and retain my muscle mass. After that I will jump into UD2.0 his more moderate carb cycling diet.

FuriousGeorge
09-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Try not to go too extreme or you're just going to lose a ton of lean muscle - try and do something in between.

I like this approach - http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/elemental-fat-loss-six-weeks-to-grecian-proportions/

Personally I have crash dieted to lose a few pounds and didn't have much trouble with it. I would get ahold of Lyle McDonald's-The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. He makes it very clear that crash dieting isn't healthy by any means and the book is only for those whom wish to do it even though there are risks. He will give a full outline of suppliments, foods and workouts.
Even if you don't plan on doing it his books are a great resource to have around.

Don't go on a crash diet; make a lifestyle change. A crash diet will only be a temporary solution that will probably leave you with less muscle and not looking or feeling much better than you did before.

Thanks for the advice guys. There's a lot of good information there. The only problem now is what to do with all this milk, V8 juice, and cocaine that I bought :scratch:

Flabs
09-23-2010, 04:10 AM
As a seasoned professional diet-quitter, I'd recommend you keep doing what you're doing. I've done quite a few crash diets that usually end with me double-fisting Big Macs on day 3.

Raleighwood
10-03-2010, 03:43 PM
You're 5'10'' 180lbs, that's not very heavy for your height.

It may be more productive to just focus on maintaining your weight and allowing strength training to recomp your body over time.