PDA

View Full Version : First suit - Titan Super Centurion or Metal King V-type?

Keith
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase my first single ply squat suit. I squat with a moderate to wide stance and pull wide. After doing some searching around here, it seems the favourable starter suits are the Titan Super Centurion and the Metal King V-type. What would you recommend?

About sizing:
I currently weigh 180 lbs and I'm in the process of slowly working up to 200 lbs. For my first meet (this December), I plan to compete at whatever I weigh that day to avoid extra stress by making a certain weight. I originally chose to attempt to break the Canadian CPF deadlift record in the 181 class, but after some reading and talking to a few people, I decided to do my first meet with limited stress/worries and just have fun at whatever weight. By December, I'll probably be about 190 lbs. But in the long run, I'll most likely be competing in the 181s. So I'm wondering if I should get a size that's tight at 190 and stretch it out as I make my way up to 200. Or do you guys have a better suggestion?

Thanks,

Keith

AdamBAG
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
If you have never worn a suit before I would not get it super tight, just get it snug. As your bodyweight goes up the suit will get tighter, but you'll be comfortable with the groove already.

I have never used either of the suits you listed, so I can't comment on which one to get.

JK1
09-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I squat ina super centurion. I've never used Metal equipment, so I can't comment on them.

I'd strongly consider waiting until you get your bodyweight stable before you shell out the $$ for a super centurion. A fluctuation of a few lbs at your size can make a big difference in my opinion with that suit---ie you lose a bit and the suit slides up your hips, you gain and the seam cuts the **** out of your leg or the straps throw you forward.

I personally like to start beginners in a Superior or regular Centurion if they've never had a suit on before. That gives them a chance to get used to the tightness of the suit without it freaking them out. Also as the suit stretches, you can use it to deadlift in, vs a tight super centurion (which if the suit is fitting correctly and tight, you really should NOT be able to get to a deadlift bar unless you are 5 feet tall with 4 foot long arms). That said, my wife was unable to get any other suit to work right for her until she got into a super centurion, so there is some individual lifter variation.

SoCoBarbell
09-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I've used both suits. I use my Metal King V-type squatter for deadlifts now. There is no comparison to the Super Centurion. I'm squatting in 2 ply Predator briefs now and keep thinking I get more pop from my single ply Super Centurion. Call Ken Anderson at Anderson Powerlifting and explain to him it's your first suit and he'll make sure you get the right size (a little loose for now). The reason I say call Ken is because when your suit stretches out or you want it tighter you can send it back and he'll alter it for you pretty fast. All poly gear stretches out Metal stretches fast. I've moved up from #198 to now about #235 and I've had my Metal suit sized down twice. Good luck.

Keith
09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
If you have never worn a suit before I would not get it super tight, just get it snug. As your bodyweight goes up the suit will get tighter, but you'll be comfortable with the groove already.

I have never used either of the suits you listed, so I can't comment on which one to get.

Yeah I was thinking get it snug to start, then eventually stretch it out as I get heavier if I want.

I squat ina super centurion. I've never used Metal equipment, so I can't comment on them.

I'd strongly consider waiting until you get your bodyweight stable before you shell out the $$ for a super centurion. A fluctuation of a few lbs at your size can make a big difference in my opinion with that suit---ie you lose a bit and the suit slides up your hips, you gain and the seam cuts the **** out of your leg or the straps throw you forward.

I personally like to start beginners in a Superior or regular Centurion if they've never had a suit on before. That gives them a chance to get used to the tightness of the suit without it freaking them out. Also as the suit stretches, you can use it to deadlift in, vs a tight super centurion (which if the suit is fitting correctly and tight, you really should NOT be able to get to a deadlift bar unless you are 5 feet tall with 4 foot long arms). That said, my wife was unable to get any other suit to work right for her until she got into a super centurion, so there is some individual lifter variation.

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking about that, but I'm not sure I'm going to be sticking to a certain weight at this point. I do want to increase muscle mass so I'll be bulking and cutting carefully for quite some time. I do want to compete in December to and I'd rather not compete raw at this point. I took a look at Titan's sizing chart and it seems pretty doable. A size 40 at 165 is a "regular fit" which is snug fit for new lifters or more passive support but a size 40 is also a "competition fit" for a 198. At 181, they classify a size 40 as a "meet fit" which is tight for training and competition. So couldn't I just get a 40 or even a 42 as a starter?

http://www.plgearonline.com/sizing.htm

I've used both suits. I use my Metal King V-type squatter for deadlifts now. There is no comparison to the Super Centurion. I'm squatting in 2 ply Predator briefs now and keep thinking I get more pop from my single ply Super Centurion. Call Ken Anderson at Anderson Powerlifting and explain to him it's your first suit and he'll make sure you get the right size (a little loose for now). The reason I say call Ken is because when your suit stretches out or you want it tighter you can send it back and he'll alter it for you pretty fast. All poly gear stretches out Metal stretches fast. I've moved up from #198 to now about #235 and I've had my Metal suit sized down twice. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Great to hear he can make alterations for you. I heard he's great to talk to. I heard Titan keeps fit a lot longer than Metal. How is the Super Centurion to pull in?

SoCoBarbell
09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Just me but, my super is too much suit to pull in. I even have velcro straps on mine and it's just to hard to set up right but, I'm 6'2". That's why I use the Metal suit because the material is alot thiner and stretchier.

It's funny that you ask though because I was gonna try pulling in my Super again this Monday or next. I'll let you know how it goes.

NickAus
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Titan is the best single ply gear from what most lifters say.

Keith
09-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Just me but, my super is too much suit to pull in. I even have velcro straps on mine and it's just to hard to set up right but, I'm 6'2". That's why I use the Metal suit because the material is alot thiner and stretchier.

It's funny that you ask though because I was gonna try pulling in my Super again this Monday or next. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah, let me know how it goes. When you say it's too much suit do you mean it's just too restricting?

Titan is the best single ply gear from what most lifters say.

That's what I've been hearing. I think I'll just get the Super Centurion. Thanks!

BloodandThunder
09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
From a single-ply guy, Titan is the way to go.
Of the national meets I've been to (300+ lifters), Titan suits are easily the most used. I've maybe seen three or four Metal suits lol. Hell I got a Metal suit for free and ended up buying a Centurion.

If you pull sumo, wear the Centurion backward.

You'll get a good shelf life out of a centurion....so size it accordingly for say 3-4 meets at least. If you're going to gain weight long term, get a bigger size and grow into it. Otherwise, it'll be way too tight for someone who doesn't have much experience with gear.

I believe PLGearOnline has a 10% off for Labor day too

Keith
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
From a single-ply guy, Titan is the way to go.
Of the national meets I've been to (300+ lifters), Titan suits are easily the most used. I've maybe seen three or four Metal suits lol. Hell I got a Metal suit for free and ended up buying a Centurion.

If you pull sumo, wear the Centurion backward.

You'll get a good shelf life out of a centurion....so size it accordingly for say 3-4 meets at least. If you're going to gain weight long term, get a bigger size and grow into it. Otherwise, it'll be way too tight for someone who doesn't have much experience with gear.

I believe PLGearOnline has a 10% off for Labor day too

Interesting with regards to the popularity of Titan.

Why backwards?

Yeah, makes sense I'm just not sure if that weight gain will be long term. Hopefully, but I may find the 181s a comfortable weight class. Good to hear about the discount, I'll take advantage of that.

AdamBAG
09-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Interesting with regards to the popularity of Titan.

Why backwards?

Yeah, makes sense I'm just not sure if that weight gain will be long term. Hopefully, but I may find the 181s a comfortable weight class. Good to hear about the discount, I'll take advantage of that.

Liftinglarge.com is offering 10% off for labor day weekend as well (not sure about plgearonline.com).

Ben F Burgess
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah I was thinking get it snug to start, then eventually stretch it out as I get heavier if I want.

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking about that, but I'm not sure I'm going to be sticking to a certain weight at this point. I do want to increase muscle mass so I'll be bulking and cutting carefully for quite some time. I do want to compete in December to and I'd rather not compete raw at this point. I took a look at Titan's sizing chart and it seems pretty doable. A size 40 at 165 is a "regular fit" which is snug fit for new lifters or more passive support but a size 40 is also a "competition fit" for a 198. At 181, they classify a size 40 as a "meet fit" which is tight for training and competition. So couldn't I just get a 40 or even a 42 as a starter?

http://www.plgearonline.com/sizing.htm

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Great to hear he can make alterations for you. I heard he's great to talk to. I heard Titan keeps fit a lot longer than Metal. How is the Super Centurion to pull in?

Tough call on the sizing.

On the one hand, 165s who total big do NOT wear 42s!!! More like 34s. Im a big 181 and i squeeze into a 36. On the other hand, that is screaming tight and would probably put you off equipment for life.

You could get a stock 40, that would give you some support as you are learnign and you could get it adjusted tighter as needed. Or you could try find something second hand in a 38, both PLW and Fortified Iron have classifieds sections...

Oh yeah, and in my experience, most lifters will go down one or two sizes UNDER what is recommended as 'meet fit' on the Titan sizing chart in the name of a bigger total. Have fun.

Keith
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Tough call on the sizing.

On the one hand, 165s who total big do NOT wear 42s!!! More like 34s. Im a big 181 and i squeeze into a 36. On the other hand, that is screaming tight and would probably put you off equipment for life.

You could get a stock 40, that would give you some support as you are learnign and you could get it adjusted tighter as needed. Or you could try find something second hand in a 38, both PLW and Fortified Iron have classifieds sections...

Oh yeah, and in my experience, most lifters will go down one or two sizes UNDER what is recommended as 'meet fit' on the Titan sizing chart in the name of a bigger total. Have fun.

Damn, a 36?!

Yeah, I think a 40 would be good and have it adjusted in the future if I decide to cut down to 181. I'll check out PLW and Fortified first, though. Thanks for that!

Ben F Burgess
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Damn, a 36?!

Yeah, I think a 40 would be good and have it adjusted in the future if I decide to cut down to 181. I'll check out PLW and Fortified first, though. Thanks for that!
Yeah i get a 165 guy to break in a 36 for me.

You should be able to get something off PLW or FI for around $50 which would save you a fair bit of cash

Brian Hopper
09-08-2010, 08:18 AM
My vote is for Titan!!!!!

IronDiggy
09-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I have the super centurion. Got it for my first suit, and if your not used to squatting in a suit yet it's a little much to learn. I've been having a bugger of a time getting used to it because of the thick material. I would probably suggest getting a the superior or spartan and getting it a bit looser and getting used to the grove of a squat suit and get a super when you're better with a suit or hit that 200 mark.