PDA

View Full Version : Forearm pain / tendonitis?

martin
09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Guys,

Has anyone experienced tendon / muscular pain down the palm side of forearms for a few days after benching?

As my bench has been going up recently (thankfully!) I have started to get more problems in my forearms. This week its been bad enouh to stop me doing rows and back for all week since mondays bench.

They seem to go hard and sore as hell.

Any tips or ideas?

Martin

dynamo
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
make sure you're sitting the bar on the pad of your hand it sounds like youre sitting it in the center of your hand which is causing your hand to bend back far too much and causing some issues. Try to keep the bar in line with your forearm, not behind it.

vdizenzo
09-03-2010, 12:25 PM
This is not an uncommon issue as your bench gets stronger. I had terrible pain for a while. I was going to doc's and pt's and nobody could figure it out. I contact Ryan Kennelly about it and he told my I had to get my forearms stronger. I proceeded to train them twice a week. I would do all regular and reverse wrist curls with my forearm isolated on a bench one day and then I would do reverse curls on another. I also made sure to ice after bench days.

If the problem persists, I would go get it checked out. You could have some small fracture that could completely blow out one day and that is not a pretty sight.

BloodandThunder
09-03-2010, 12:44 PM
+ 1 with what Vinny said.
In the offseason I make sure to do a lot of thick bar stuff too which helps thicken those forearms. Look at any big bencher and look at the size of their forearms. Also videotape your benches from the side. You're obviously experienced given your numbers, but you may not be benching with your wrists in line with the bar. We all revert back to bad habits time to time.

If it starts to prohibit you from doing simple lifts like rows, then I'd take some time off from heavy benching and get it checked out. Assuming you're multi-ply, it seems hairline fractures do occur from longterm high intensity bench work week after week.

martin
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys.

Although my numbers are going well I haven't been doing this all that long - it's only my third year. I'm still learning alot.

I will have to get someone to watch my forearm position when I bench. As far as I'm aware I'm keeping them over the elbows but as we all know what we do and what we think we do can be different things.

Other than pulls I don't really do any forearm work so I will add some curls in as you suggest Vinny and try icing post bench workout.

I have a meet in three weeks where I hope to go over 600 :)

SoCoBarbell
09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I see you're a full power lifter. Is the pain shooting up and down from the elbow? Just wondering because I have been fighting this pain for the last month and finally realized it's from squatting not benching. I got some TK elbow sleeves to where when I squat. Problem solved.

I could be totally wrong and this may not be your problem at all but,I thought I would throw it out there.

By the way a 2200 total at your body weight after less than 3 years of training is ****ing incredible!!!!!!!!

martin
09-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Thanks bro but its more fom the wrist down to be honest. I have bicep problems from squatting but i don't think this is related.

It seems to be top half of the forearm - recently pain has been shooting down my forarem as soon as I let go of the bar if this helps any diagnosis???

Ben F Burgess
09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I get a lot of elbow/forearm pain esp. if i bench heavy the day after i sq heavy.

Thick bar curls for high reps (e.g. 20) seem to give both instant relief and have some kind of pre-hab function. I aint got no idea why or the physiology of it but it works.

robchris
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
+ 2 on icing and plenty of forearm work... had the same problem once I get over 400lbs. but the aforementioned really helped a lot.

make sure you're not bending your wrist as stated earlier. (Hand-cuffing) the bar so to speak. I used to do it at the bottom when trying to touch in a tight shirt.

Kevin K
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm starting to have the same problem around my elbow. I think I'm letting the bar get behind my wrist. I hope this gets better soon because I'm benching 50 lbs. less now because of it.