PDA

View Full Version : Bench Form/Leg Position Question for Short Armed Benchers

pricedtosell
09-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Just re-watched Dave Tate's 'So You Think You Can Bench?' series, and at the end of the 6th video and beginning of the 7th he shows a second style of benching where your feet are extended further out in front of you so that your knees are lower than your hips. He explains that this is actually a better technique for benchers with short arms (like I have) looking to press in a straight line and that, for the leverages short-armed benchers have, this style actually shortens the range of motion, despite having a smaller arch. He also said this style is great for using more leg drive in your bench.

I usually bench on my toes with my feet as far underneath me as I can get them, while keeping as big of an arch as I can with my ass still touching. I thought this style was best to shorten the ROM for the bench. I'm now planning on trying this 2nd style that Tate shows. He even said he benched with that 2nd style for many years and only changed it up because of a shoulder issue. I was under the impression that these days, the 1st style that he spends 95% of the SYTYCB instructional showing, was king for almost all benchers. Is this not true for short armed benchers?

I wanted to know if anyone, particularly benchers with shorter arms, have any experience with this style and could give any advice on it. Any comments on the difference in the set-ups, arches, leg drive, etc. would be appreciated. Also, any advice on the primary differences for any of the big 3 for shorter limbed lifters would be great, but I'm mainly looking for bench advice. I remember reading a post here from Travis Bell about being short armed, so I've watched a ton of his youtube vids to work on form. Any other good benchers to watch?

In case you haven't seen it. http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/features/so-you-think-you-can-bench-get-the-whole-series-here/

Brian C
09-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I've tried both styles and keep going back to pinning my feet under me. You really need to spread your feet apart pretty wide to keep your butt down and get good leg drive. I just can't get the far enough. As far as shortening the ROM, I really didn't feel that it shortened it IMHO. It may for some, just didn't see it for me. I set up exactly like Tate does in vid 6 with my feet under me. Its all about experimenting with what works for you.

Travis Bell
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I would agree, to some extent it's going to be lifter specific.

I bench with my feet out and pushed wide, but if you look at Frankl bench, he has his feet nice and tucked way underneath him. Obviously it works quite well for him.

I just find that for me, I am able to get a lot more leg drive and am much more stable when I have my feet out in front of me

robchris
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
priced, are you geared or raw bencher? (I dont think you mentioned either) My set-up is basically the same both ways but set-up on toes style, really reduced my ROM a lot which makes it way easier to touch in a tight shirt.

pricedtosell
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I would agree, to some extent it's going to be lifter specific.

I bench with my feet out and pushed wide, but if you look at Frankl bench, he has his feet nice and tucked way underneath him. Obviously it works quite well for him.

I just find that for me, I am able to get a lot more leg drive and am much more stable when I have my feet out in front of me

I definetely agree about the leg drive aspect, do you feel like there's a significant ROM difference in the 2 styles? Or is leg drive/stability your primary reason for using that style?

From what I could tell in the SYTYCB explanation, Dave extended his legs pretty far out, with his feet well past the knee. From the clips I've seen of you benching your legs seem closer to perpendicular with the floor. Ryan Celli's style seems similar to yours also. It seems like that foot positioning is more moderate and inbetween tucking the feet and extending them far out, I can't find any benchers that keep their feet as far out as Dave shows though.

I guess the ROM is the biggest thing I'm trying to find out about. From 1:43 - 1:50 of this vid Dave shows it, it's the only example I can really find of someone making their ROM this short while barely maintaining any arch.

NrB8NHmqGu0

pricedtosell
09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
priced, are you geared or raw bencher? (I dont think you mentioned either) My set-up is basically the same both ways but set-up on toes style, really reduced my ROM a lot which makes it way easier to touch in a tight shirt.

Raw.

AdamBAG
09-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Jason Coker is a good example of the second style. He has a fairly long torso for his height and shorter arms and legs. He benches with a good arch, but also with his feet out in front of him.

You just have to find the best style for you.

vdizenzo
09-07-2010, 05:31 AM
I am in between the feet way out in front and tucked under. My feet are a hair behind my knees as far as I can tell. I have done the feet out in front a few times. I found that it cuts downs on my arch a little and I also drive myself back into the bench a bit.

mchicia1
09-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I couldn't get past 245x3 with my feet tucked underneath on my toes. When I changed my style to wide, out, and feet flat, I finally realized just what leg drive was and my bench shot up 40 pounds in 2 months....I agree, I think its lifter specific because I have very long arms.