PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Places to eat while out.

davetha1
05-12-2002, 03:26 PM
I keep finding myself running into this constant problem. Whenever i go out with friends or just out running errands and need to eat i really struggle to find somewhere that will give me a good high protein meal but wont also have 80g of fat. If everyone could list their top 5 places to eat while out i'd appreciate it.

Behemoth
05-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Tace bell is decent if you get like a chicken tortilla and tell them no sour cream and maybe take out the tortilla (good chicken). Subway you can eat pretty fair, just get wheat bread and no dressing or fat free. If you do end up at mcdonalds or BK or wendys I'd just order 2 grilled chicken sandwhiches and just eat the chicken lettuce and tomatoe. None of it is superb for great healthy eating but it's better than have a wendies tripple with mayo and french fries, you'll get your 80g of fat there!

NateDogg
05-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Well, it's probably going to vary by region so I won't list specific restaurants, but...

Any steakhouse should have a sirloin, which are pretty low fat and very high protein
You can get a grilled chicken sandwich just about anywhere.
A salad with light dressing and grilled chicken would be good.

Lots of times you just have to ask and most restaurants will make what you want, and how you want it.

Nd

Jane
05-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Fish prepared DRY would have tons of protein and only a little fat.

Dressing always on the side.

Taco Bell: two soft tacos are actually not that bad. nutritional info here: http://www.tacobell.com
Add a small salad and a diet coke if you're hungry.

McDonalds/KFC/Chik Fil A/Wendys/Burger King: Grilled chicken sandwiches and grilled chicken salads

Most food courts have a nice salad place where you can load up different veggies and get tons of grilled chicken. Usually there is a place where you can get a sandwich made as well. Dont worry about asking for specifics. For example: rye bread + sliced turkey + lettuce&tomato. :nod: Get them to heat it as well, if you like. If the sandwich comes with a side like coleslaw or french fries, ask for veggies as a substitute. That works in restaurants as well. Ex: order a sirloin steak entree and instead of white rice ask for veggies on the side. If veggies already come with the steak, ask for Extra veggies. For dessert, tea or coffee with artificial sweetner is a nice thing in the fall/winter.

The best restaurants to go to are the ones you know will pay attention to your special requests and have various "starting" points for you to choose from. For example, a mexican place might be difficult, but your local Red Lobster will have tons of fish options and TGI Friday's has grilled chicken/steak etc.

Budiak
05-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Stay away from Mexican and Italian restaraunts. Burger joints are good, they usually have a wheat bun and you can tell them no condiments or anything, and no butter on the bun. Dont be afraid to make really special orders, they've probably heard worse.

Chinese food is also pretty bad. I say these foods are bad because you dont know whats in it. Sure they're a basic recipe for a taco, fried rice, etc, but they might have a way of cooking it that adds calories and fat.

Most Italian restaraunts basically dip the pasta in butter(not olive oil), some restaurants actually throw the pasta into a pan and fry it before serving. Mexican places..who knows.

Steaks are trouble because they often put glazes like butters and oils all over the meat. Ask them not to put a glaze on the meat. No, those arent juices, they add that ****.

I'd say the absolute best place to eat would be a burger joint where you dress your own food. One of those places where they give you the meat on the bun and you go put crap on it your damn self. Plain food is always best.

Plain food includes Sushi. Just fish and rice, unless you get a roll, which has all kinds of nasty **** in it like cream cheese and fatty roes.

My top five restaurants to eat at are as follows:

1: Black Angus (Great meat, potatoes, and you can just order it all dry)
2: Togos or another sub sandwich place
3: Burger Kind (Chicken whopper anyone?)
4: Mel's Drive In (expensive for what you get, though)
5: Budiak's love shack

All are pretty good choices.

davetha1
05-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone! How bad are fast food places in terms of the quality of their food and fat. For the time being i find myself just stopping in at a regular restraunt and getting something to go (tri-tip/chicken/fish) but it gets kind of expensive, thanks for some good alternatives.

Jane
05-13-2002, 04:30 AM
Subway is good as well. You can usually get some whole wheat bread, sliced turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion and ask them to leave off the mayo and cheese and you're set.

iLUDEd
05-13-2002, 06:53 AM
subway chicken fillet!

MarshallPenn
05-13-2002, 06:59 AM
Hmmm....

French Laundry
Nobu
Radius
The Inn At Washington Creek
Totonno's (Why not - Best Pizza in the World)

Relentless
05-13-2002, 08:49 AM
I think that the two biggest offenders at fast food places are the pop and the fries. Empty calories galore, and they always ask you to 'SuperSize' them. They might as well say "Would you like to SuperSize your butt with some extra lipids?".

Ideally, you wanna avoid fast food as much as possible, but I tend to agree with most of what's been said here...

My 'eating out' choices:

1. Sushi (I prefer sashimi, and a lot of it!)
2. Wendy's (their salads aint' bad, skip the dressing, add a chicken breast or two, or even a burger hold the bun if you don't like chicken)
3. Any place that has broiled/baked fish (as opposed to deep fried fish'n'chips style stuff)
4. Subway (you can have them put meats on a salad instead of on a bun, which is great. Again, skip the dressing).
5. Other fast food places (agree with TryingToBeBig here... just order some burgers/chicken and skip the mayo and bun; eat the greens and the protein).

Callahan