PDA

View Full Version : Busy lifestyle, bad fast food habbit. What to do?

matthewalan8
09-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Okay, so I have been lurking around here for quite a long time, but I have some concerns about my health. First of all, I am 26 years old, 6'1" and 200lbs and nearly all of the weight is in my spare tire (Currently 41 inches around the fattest area of my stomach).

From my sophomore year in HS, until my freshman year in college, I literally ate fast food 2-3 times a day. Since then, I go on and off. I have always been very skinny (160lbs starting 10th grade). My biggest weight was up to 225. I then got back down to 190 doing P90X and mostly eating Healthy Choice microwave meals. Obviously, as any nutritionist will tell you, when you diet, you almost always "fall back" because you aren't enjoying the food.

I fell back hard. I gorge on fast food, and eat basically two meals when I do. I crave it. I live a busy life style and work odd hours. Sometimes working 9am to 9pm (leaving little time to work out) and other times 11am to 9pm. Fast food is...fast....easy...addicting...expensive.

I don't know how to cook, although a couple of times I have made a really good white chicken chili (probably bad for me as well). Even if I do feel like cooking, I don't get home until 10pm most nights and by then I just want to relax. I am not a morning person and most nights I stay up until 2-3am, sitting on my computer or catching up on my shows, laying in bed (this could be better utilized working out, but I can't afford a home gym set-up). Okay enough background...

1. How do I break the cycle of constant fast food cravings?
2. What options are out there that are easy/satisfying/healthy?

---A couple workout questions thrown in, sorry---

3. 200 lbs isn't a bad weight for someone my height (6'1), but I'm 20% body fat. Should I basically just find a gym and start lifting heavy? Obviously, better nutrition is needed, but would it be better for me to lift? Or to lean out first?

4. Can someone explain creatin to me in lehman's terms? Everytime I try to read about it, it feels like I'm reading Chinese :confused:

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry for the long post, but I really want to be healthy, look good and feel good. So far, I'm none of the above!

f=ma
09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
#1 & 2. it wont be easy to make the change but you need to prep your own food and stop making excuses. i do recognize it is hard to break the habit but the answer is to stop eating it. there is a thread in the stick that addresses #2 which will tell you what foods are ideal. its called what body builders eat
3. lift heavy as you lean out. alternatively, you can do P90X or insanity.. whatever. a high intensity program such as those two are inferior to lifting imo but they are perfectly viable options.
4. creatine improves the physiological response to exercise (thank you wikipedia for a nice summation)

VikingWarlord
09-06-2010, 11:54 AM
#1 & 2. it wont be easy to make the change but you need to prep your own food and stop making excuses. i do recognize it is hard to break the habit but the answer is to stop eating it.

Pretty much what he said. It becomes a matter of deciding to shut up and do it. Grow some discipline and make the change you know you need to make. Replace your unhealthy urges with better ones. Focus on what you get to do/have instead of what you have to cut out. You're making a choice to do something. You've already given yourself an excuse to fail by walking into it with the worst possible mindset. Change your thinking, then you can change everything else.

Irish Pilot
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Plan. Adapt. Overcome.

Behemoth
09-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Protein bars are great for a busy lifestyle. Novus bars are extremely popular, not sure that I've once read a bad review about them http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=24&osCsid=r03c551svpnmd0g0t88kkdasv4

matthewalan8
09-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I need to make a change. Behemoth, those bars seem great and would make a good snack for when I'm at work. Read a bunch of the reviews and they seemed to enjoy them.

As for prepping my own food. Everyone knows freshly cooked food taste better than re-heated food, so I'm afraid of this. If I prep my food, then take it to work and put it in the fridge, am I still going to enjoy it? Sure wish my work had a stove/oven available rather than a microwave :)

greemah
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I find reheated food tastes just as good. Give it a try and see how you like it, and if it's that bad, then you can worry about finding an alternative

shazoo123
09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Pretty much what everyone said above is true. You will have to start from within yourself. I do understand that it may be difficult at first. If this is the case, first start off by picking out healthier options at the fast food joints. There has been extreme progress in many chains to cater to the "health-conscious" individual. Additionally, some chains are better than others (ie. Chick-fil-a vs. KFC). Besides that, I can only motivate you to be inspired by some of your favorite mouth-watering dishes, and then try to find an easy recipe of some sort. Start small, and eventually you will be making strides and become more proficient in the kitchen. It sure worked for me.

LAM
09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I have found that when preparing meals you have to plan as to how they will be heated. that being the case and we know how the microwave dries up meats, etc. then get used to eating them cold and heat up the non-proteins that aren't really effected by the microwave.

Holto
09-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I have found that when preparing meals you have to plan as to how they will be heated. that being the case and we know how the microwave dries up meats, etc. then get used to eating them cold and heat up the non-proteins that aren't really effected by the microwave.

Great to see you on the boards my man!

Codeguru
09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
1. How do I break the cycle of constant fast food cravings?

Stop eating it when you're hungry. Find a good combination of sandwich options with a "healthy" bread, usually the one that has the most protein, and use a lot of sodium based condiments, and drink ice water with it. The only way to break any cycle is to just stop doing it and replace that part of your life with something else until it's normalized. Being busy just means you have to schedule stuff efficiently, and not be in a position where you feel like you're dragging yourself around being forced to do this. Make it your own, beat the hell out of yourself in your mind when you start to whine and just do it. That's what I had to do.

I look at these diets on TV where they have you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars a month having them send you your food meal by meal and I just have to laugh inside considering I did the same thing with the littlest bit of willpower and it cost 5% of what these people pay. What I eat now costs way less than what I used to eat, deserts and treats are now actual treats again not just an every day thing, and a lot more importantly I don't get little twinges of heart pain like most people do eating burgers every day. That last one scared me the hell off eating a burger every day at college.

I know it might seem stupid because it's on TV everyday but eat a bowl of Honey-Nut Cheerios as your breakfast. A good sized bowl will probably be around 350 calories, depending on the type of milk, since the suggested serving size of cereals is rediculously small so they can look good on the nutrition label. That's the first thing I did to help control what I eat, then I switched to a whole grain bread and made a bunch of sandwiches that I liked the taste of. Nature's Own Whole Grain bread is very easy to get used to, and it tastes great with JIF peanut butter. Even if you are very busy, you can always carry a sandwich in a bag, try eating 4 or 5 meals a day with the same amount of calorie intake, 2 snacks between the 3 main meals is easiest. If you're doing it right there should be no need to EVER junk food snack again which is one thing that really packs on fat. If you're going to crave junk food once in a while, eat it WITH one of those meals. And always try to wash things down with ice cold water. You can drink as much of that as you want and if your tap water has a nasty aftertaste like mine does use some sort of filter like Britta.

I think the last thing that really cemented in the healthier eating habits for me was the fact that I'm constantly ramping up my cardio. I usually have a set schedule on weight lifting and I always try to move upwards in weight but I also take Tae Kwon Do. I have since become much more serious about my training, and eating crap food constantly has no benefits there. If you eat nothing that can actually fuel your body then you'll feel it. Whatever workout you do, just take it a lot more seriously and constantly put more work into it. Once you start seeing and feeling the practical results, it's hard to complain about eating good food...

Codeguru