PDA

View Full Version : Briefs for a raw squatter?

ThomasG
09-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Over loading with knee wraps helped my raw squat a lot, so what about briefs? I also hear they are good for the hips with speed work.

pricedtosell
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I think it probably depends on what your goals are. Are you ultimately just trying to increase your raw numbers or do you want to lift in gear eventually? I'm not sure how training in briefs would help your raw numbers.

ThomasG
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Just increase my raw numbers. I don't think I'll ever go to training in gear....

BigTallOx
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't have briefs, but I do have a loose single ply squat suit that I train in ( in addition to the suit I've competed in ). I know for a fact that my geared training has also carried over to my raw squat, and squatting in my suit protects my aging hips, which allows me to train harder and recover faster.

Tom Mutaffis
09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Loose briefs may help to prevent injury and/or allow you to squat more frequently, though I would not recommend tight-fitting briefs since those could throw off your form.

Your best bet would probably be some entry level singly ply briefs like Inzer Power Pants. They only cost $35 + shipping and are easy to put on / take off.

Another way to overload your squat would be to do bottom-up squats from pins or box squats to a high box.

NickAus
09-07-2010, 04:11 PM
If you squat wide sometimes then loose briefs would be a good investment for sure!

StLRPh
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Your best bet would probably be some entry level singly ply briefs like Inzer Power Pants. They only cost $35 + shipping and are easy to put on / take off.

I've got a pair of these on the way the reasons Tom and BigTallOx said. Hoping to try them out soon.

Keith
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Loose briefs may help to prevent injury and/or allow you to squat more frequently, though I would not recommend tight-fitting briefs since those could throw off your form.

Another way to overload your squat would be to do bottom-up squats from pins or box squats to a high box.

This is what I would recommend.

I have Inzer Power Pants and have used them for over a year now. They keep my hips/groin healthy while pulling and squatting wide.

ThomasG
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Great replies thanks guys!!

ScottYard
09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I would stick to High squats or Rack type work. briefs will change too many things form wise.

Cmanuel
09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
This is what I would recommend.

I have Inzer Power Pants and have used them for over a year now. They keep my hips/groin healthy while pulling and squatting wide.

Did you order them a couple sizes large?

Sensei
09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
You could also just go w. a cheapo suit and wear it straps down. The Inzer Champion is about as cheap as they come and has leg openings that won't cut you off above the knee.

Keith
09-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Did you order them a couple sizes large?

I can't remember, it's been too long. I do know that I can get them on in under 30 seconds.

elilliebridge
09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Training in just briefs will probably not help your raw squat too much, depending on your stance since most briefs require a wider stance to squat with, but it definitely will help with your stability, using heavier weights than you can do raw and not having "suit straps" to help keep you erect when you're in the hole. I have trained in briefs quite a few times in the past and it did not carry over much for my raw squats, at the time i was squating 750 in belt and wraps and could do 900+ in just briefs easily, but my raw squat did not go up. It did however make my raw squats feel very light on my back since i was used to holding 100+lbs on my back using briefs every week compared to my best raw squat ever at the time. If you squat with a wider stance it might actually help you out a lot more than it did for me, because i squat with a more narrow stance, about shoulder width apart.