PDA

View Full Version : Carb Up w/o Depletion Workout?

Jane
05-12-2002, 04:19 PM
I understand that a depletion workout prior to a CKD carb up is necessary to prime muscles for glycogen uptake. However, I feel like such complete and absolute crap during this workout that I was wondering if it would not be more productive to:
1. 4:30-4:45pm Saturday: interval sprints
2. 5:00pm Saturday: start carb up
3. 12:00pm Sunday: finish carb up
4. 1:00pm Sunday: do an extensive legs+mini-chest/tris workout
5. either Monday or Tuesday: do extensive back/biceps workout
6. either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday: get some ches/tri work

The next week, I would switch back/bis with chest/tris.

This way I will get 300% more from my big Saturday workout and get an early start on getting back into ketosis. And I'll have the majority of Sunday to focus on my work, instead of being distracted by carbohydrate needs.

Any opinions?

Wizard
05-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Jane, given your schedule, and based on your plan to avoid the full body workout, I think that Saturday is the best day for the carb up.

Notice that a delay of two hours between the end of training and the start of the carb up can cause glycogen resynthesis to be almost 50% slower than if carbs are consumed immediately.

Don't worry though. You can do something to "wake up" your muscles and supercompensate them. If you can, do some intervals before the carb up. Even 10-12 min of intervals will do the trick. Your muscles will be anyways damaged from the hard work of the week days.

Finally if you are performing a 1 or 2 day carb-up, the type of training before to the carb-up is not very critical.
Enjoy your carb feasts :D

Jane
05-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the input! I edited my idea to include interval sprints before starting the carb up.

Any further opinions?

Jane
05-13-2002, 04:35 AM
Would there be any advantage to cutting the suggested amount of carbohydrate in half or reducing it by 25%? Would that (along with minimizing fat) be the only way to prevent fat spillover?

Wizard
05-13-2002, 08:54 AM
Not necessarily. It depends on the amount of carbs that you ingest but I don't believe that you will exceed the limit.
Now, the minimizing fat option would be wiser.