PDA

View Full Version : Want to bulking, but I'm skinny with a belly

skinnbones
09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm 5'11" and weight 163lbs at 31 years old, and have a belly on me. I don't have any bulk on me at all besides my waist.

I'm wondering should I be going by these guides on bulking up even though I still have this tire around my stomach?

I don't want to get into protein shakes and things of that nature if it is going to hurt me. I don't plan on all out massive body building, but I do want to start working out 3 times a week and try to put some bulk on me instead of being skinny all the time. This is mixed with playing softball 2 to 3 times a week and a treadmill for cardio.

Is it still ok to follow these guides on daily intake, or is there something I need to be doing first. I'm really interested in finding a guide to nutrition and have read a lot of articles here, but I'm mainly wanting something that just plain tells me what I need for the week which would help me (mentally) on just getting started.

tom183
09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm wondering should I be going by these guides on bulking up

Which guides are you referring to?

I don't want to get into protein shakes and things of that nature if it is going to hurt me.

Why do you think they would hurt you?

I do want to start working out 3 times a week and try to put some bulk on me instead of being skinny all the time.

Do you have a routine in mind? If not, read this:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124795

joey54
09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
It;s going to be an uphill battle for you at this age, but it can be done. A higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet may be what is needed. If I were you, I would research carb cycling and the such. Good luck.

skinnbones
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Which guides are you referring to?

http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertrophy-cluster-training-hct-12/hypertrophy-cluster-training-hct-12-nutritional-program/

Basically I am inquiring if it is suitable to go with the guides on bulking, even though I have a spare tire and toothpick arms and legs. Do I try to get the goodyear under control or do I not worry with it and follow guides like these and try to max my intake.

"1) Establish your daily needs Ė how much protein, carbohydrate and fat are necessary?

Anyone that hasnít worked out what they should be eating should pick a goal, 200lbs at 10% bodyfat, for example. Work out the maintenance calories required for that goal, regardless of whether you need to gain or lose to reach it, i.e., work out what a 200lbs and 10% bodyfat version of you would need to eat to stay at that weight and condition.

So for anyone thinking of calculating that, there are a few equations that require you to just plug in the numbers, and you can find them on-line."

This article hits the mark of what I'm confused about, but I'm still unsure of what to calculate for my specific case.

Is there a specific site this is referring to for me to try to plug in my numbers? I would want to get my abs back of course, that I had 7 years ago, but if that can't happen while trying to bulk up, I'm still ok with that.

Being a noob to working out (on a plan using numbers and calculations) I am just confused on how to start and what would work best for me at this age and weight.

skinnbones
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
It;s going to be an uphill battle for you at this age, but it can be done. A higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet may be what is needed. If I were you, I would research carb cycling and the such. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll look this up today.

mike mcgee
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
usually people who are skin and bones but have a belly sticking out are malnurished. What is or was your current diet like? There has to be something that has cause the spare tire, is it a beer belly? I'm assuming as you want to bulk up, you're going to be hitting the weights pretty hard. I'm sure everything will even out if you change your diet. As mentioned, look at upping your protein intake, there's nothing wrong with shakes, and lowering your carbs. Cut out process foods, breads, pasta, or at least switch to whole grains, etc... You can still bulk up without these. Eat lots of meat, veggies and fruits. If you are going to be doing a program like Starting Strength, the recommendation is a gallon of milk a day. I don't care who you are, thats going to put some weight on you.

skinnbones
09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
usually people who are skin and bones but have a belly sticking out are malnurished. What is or was your current diet like? There has to be something that has cause the spare tire, is it a beer belly? I'm assuming as you want to bulk up, you're going to be hitting the weights pretty hard. I'm sure everything will even out if you change your diet. As mentioned, look at upping your protein intake, there's nothing wrong with shakes, and lowering your carbs. Cut out process foods, breads, pasta, or at least switch to whole grains, etc... You can still bulk up without these. Eat lots of meat, veggies and fruits. If you are going to be doing a program like Starting Strength, the recommendation is a gallon of milk a day. I don't care who you are, thats going to put some weight on you.

Oh yeah man, my diet was about as mundane and crappy as possible. I don't necessary have a beer belling, there is still the tracing of abs I once had, but its nothing I want to take my shirt off and show at the beach. This one of the reason's I want to get back into the game of looking good. I figured why just try to get my 6 pack back? Why not try to get some bulk as well.

With all this material to read, it was just confusing on how to start for me.

From what you are saying and what I'm reading today, seems like the nutrition thing will end up working itself out through the weights.

Thanks for the replies

ApieceofMEAT
09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
My advice would be to figure out your total caloric intake per day (count EVERYTHING) and then keep the caloric count the same only replace your ****ty calories with lean proteins and complex carbs. Combined with intense heavy lifting 3-4 days a week i think you should be set.