PDA

View Full Version : Yeast and organic food

Beavereater
09-09-2010, 02:43 AM
My wife is big on organic anything. She's is way to lean to be worry about her weight, she needs a bit more muscle IMO. She has been buying this bread made at a local bakery that is 'yeast-free'...there are a couple of different breads made without yeast that she has been buying and they actually taste pretty good. Would the exclusion of yeast make eating this bread any healthier? I've been eating this bread, with raw salmon and cottage cheese the last couple of weeks for dinner and it's pretty good...more cheese and salmon than bread though. It's always nice living in a building where the first floor is a supermarket...

Mercuryblade
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I've never heard anything to suggest health problems from the yeast in bread.

Alex.V
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I've never heard anything to suggest health problems from the yeast in bread.

Me neither. Even "systemic yeast infections" are cause by a weakened immune system, localized conditions leading to overgrowth, etc., and not by yeast in the diet.

dynamo
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
yeast infections arent even caused by the same genus or species that people put in bread. Candida albicans for the bod. Saccharomyces cerevisiae for the dough.

mike mcgee
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Honestly, the only research I could find on "no-yeast" are for people who frequently get yeast infections. http://www.theyeastdiet.com/yeast-free-diet.html (wfs). Also, of course as in Passover, the Isralites used no yeast because they didn't have the time to let the bread rise as they were fleeing the Pharoah. As far as to pinpoint if it's healthier, most people when talking about bread are talking about the flour (bleached) not the yeast.