PDA

View Full Version : 55 year old 400+ lb bencher is broken

dynamo
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
So this buddy of mine at the gym who is 55 hurt his shoulder. He had an MRI and goes to PT but he describes it as his shoulder won't fire. He has no pain and sometimes his arm is numb he took the week off and his shoulder he says got worse (this shoulder problem has been around for almost 2 months). He says he can bench 185 but it comes up crooked. He tore his glute 2 years ago and just recently started squatting and deadlifting again, before he was a bench only competitor due to that injury. He does light shoulder exercises and tries to get the blood flowing but no luck on improving.

He said a few weeks before competition he had 418 on then bench and after he unracked it it was like his shoulder gave out and he almost lost the weight and rolled off the bench but he recovered did his reps and finished his workout and failed his 385 opener on competition day and has been broken ever since. Any input as to what his issue is? Thanks!

AdamBAG
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
What did the MRI results say? What did his doctor say?

It is possible to have weakness in the arms due to a neck/spine issue. Has he seen a chiropractor? If his ortho didn't see anything on the MRI then I would try a chiro.

dynamo
09-09-2010, 08:56 AM
no nerve issues or muscle tears from his MRI. ill let him know about trying out a chiro. His PT just does some deep tissue massage and stretching so a chiro might be the best next step, thanks!

AdamBAG
09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
You should try to contact Tommy Fannon that owns Tampa Barbell. He posts on this board sometimes I think. I'm pretty sure that I read he had some upper back issues that caused problems with his arms and shoulders.