PDA

View Full Version : few questions on cutting diet

Vynod
05-12-2002, 08:07 PM
I had been on a bulk up routine for almost 3 months. Now I am trying to get rid of some extra fat. I have got rid of sugar, cheat foods, beer and many things more considered fatty or high in carbs. But 3 months of intense bb'ing has charged up my metabolism and I feel hungry all day long. I eat 6 meals. My questions:

1. I consume a total of 4 teaspoons of peanut butter a day. I liek its taste (skippy honey roates pb with chunks) .Do you recommend PB while cutting.
Each teaspoon is 8g fat (1.5 is saturated), 3.5 protein.

2. I take 3 cups of skim milk a day with whey.

3. I eat may be 1/2 cup of cottage cheese a day.
1/2 cup cottage chees is 1 gm fat, 16 protein and 3 gm sugar.

4. I do all my cooking on George foreman. I grill my chicken and veggies and breads everything on this grill. question: I also grill steaks and hamburgers on this grill. It drains all the fat down. Am I OK with this or shall I get rid of steaks and burgers totally.

Thanks guys.

Jane
05-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Changing from bulking to cutting is hard at first, but you'll get used to it. Some tips that may help:
1. 4 teaspoons of peanut butter seems perfectly reasonable if it fits into your plan. About 20-33% of your calories should come from fat, and natural peanut butter is a great source for that. Flax oil, olive oil, and fish oils are also good fat sources and help supress hunger and cravings.
2. If you take your whey with water instead of milk, you can have those 270 or so calories to spend on a small sandwich or something instead, so you won't feel as hungry. Personally, I hate drinking calories while dieting because they contribute so little to fullness and satiety.
3. Cottage cheese is a great food! In fact, some consider it the perfect slow-releasing-protein food to have before bed. You can also mix it with tuna and put it on some toasted whole wheat bread.
4. The George Foreman Grill kicks serious ass. Keep using it, only try to replace your hamburgers and steaks with sirloin steak, top round steak, or eye of round steak. Those are the leanest kinds--look out for a lot of marbling. Steak is fine as long as it fits in with the rest of your day. Have chicken and turkey and fish as well. :)

Shao-LiN
05-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Is skippy honey roasted peanut butter natural peanut butter? If it's not, I tend to say it's not ok. I think it has more saturated fats than mono and polyunsaturated.

Go with natural peanut butter.

And the George Foreman grill is fine. Don't see why it wouldn't be, really.

As long as the burgers and steaks are clean and fit into your daily requirements, should be fine. Try to stay away from processed meats though. If anything, can always make your own hamburger meat.

Vynod
05-13-2002, 10:03 AM
the peanut butter I got has somewhere like 3 gms of saturated fat out of 16gm total. When it comes to taste I have to say it rocks.
By the way where do you find whole wheat sandwich rolls or hambruger buns. I shop at pathmark or stopnshop. I do get wheat bread but not buns or sandwiches???

gino
05-13-2002, 10:27 AM
I am cutting and having great success. Here are some responses to your questions.

The nutritional stats are no different between regular and natty peanutbutter, so which ever you prefer is fine considering the amount you are eating. If you were eating a cup of pb a day and not getting healthy fats elsewhere in your diet, I'd say go with the natty. Currently I eat about 3-4 tablespoons of regular pb every day. Make sure and get your EFAs from flax and fish products.

I do not drink much milk or eat cottage cheese now that I'm cutting. I'd rather get carbs from brown rice and wheat products than from lactose sugar found in milk. I keep my milk intake between 8 and 16 oz daily. I find that lowering my milk intake helps me shed fat more quickly.

Do not get rid of steaks and burgers because of their fat content. You definitely need to keep plenty of fats in your diet while cutting, and only if you can't keep your calories low enough should you cut some fat. I'd rather sacrifice some carb calories than fat calories while cutting. I do prefer 90% lean hamburg while cutting, but I don't worry about steak fat much.