PDA

View Full Version : bands on speed day

power16
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM
when training on de day do you train 50percent of your shirtless max plus bands or just bar weight ?

Brian Hopper
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I usually use double monster minis for my band setup and as far as bar weight goes, i'll just work up to a weight that I can keep moving fast. If I feel the bar speed slow down then i'll lower the weight some.

ThomasG
09-11-2010, 07:59 PM
when training on de day do you train 50percent of your shirtless max plus bands or just bar weight ?

I'm not a westside guru but it vary's from person to person. If I did and have done what brian does it burns me out. Just cause the weight is moving fast doesn't mean its the right weight for me. I've over trained doing my speed work too heavy even though the weight was still moving fast.

I use minis on speed bench days and keep the straight weight around 40-60% of my 1rm shirtless more so around 40% or my shoulders burn out in a few weeks. This is just my individual feed back. I believe you're supposed to cycle through 40-60%. Listen to your body and once you know how to adapt westside to your body you will make your greatest gains.

Brian Hopper
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
I guess I could of been more specific, my bar weight usually stays between 40 and 50 percent of my shirted max.

Travis Bell
09-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Brian, if you're using 300+ lbs of bar weight in addition to your bands, that's probably a good bit too heavy for speed work.

I keep the weight between 50-55% of my raw max

Personally I feel that speed bench is most effective when something about is rotated every week. Usually we cycle through, minis, monster minis, chains, between arch bar and regular bar and we vary the target bar weight as well.

When this stuff is rotated with more frequency I noticed my speed work was much more productive.

Brian Hopper
09-12-2010, 07:46 AM
I meant my raw max not bench shirt max, lol!!!!

Travis Bell
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I meant my raw max not bench shirt max, lol!!!!

Ah that makes more sense lol

NickAus
09-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree with Travis that rotating and changing speed work pays off more than doing 3 week waves then repeating.

I personally go a little heavier on speed squats and a little lighter on speed bench (than the normal percents) as this works for me, part of it is because speed squats I wear briefs mostly and the benching is raw.

AdamBAG
09-13-2010, 09:10 AM
I usually use 50% of my raw bench with bands and chains added. Although I'm not afraid to do a few sets at a lower weight if things aren't firing quickly like they should. So I might do a couple of sets at 135, a couple at 155, and then up to 185 to finish. On days I'm feeling fast all my sets might be at 185.