PDA

View Full Version : Pat Mendes Raw ATG 800lb Squat

ThomasG
09-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Mind=Blown.
WK7m6I5m6gY

dynamo
09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
man that was crazy he just fell down with the weight and then got stuck after he was out of the hole then finished woot woot!

ThomasG
09-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Looked a little high. We all know you can't judge depth from the front though.

Brian Hopper
09-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Damn, that was strong!!!!

Off Road
09-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow!

Pete22
09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Probably one of the most impressive squats I've ever seen.

mchicia1
09-11-2010, 11:03 PM

You nuts? Look at 0:28...he is clearly in the hole....

aj24
09-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Quick question, its good to just fall like that?

Very impressive in any other case though

tomv
09-12-2010, 03:34 AM
That's no joke.

joey54
09-12-2010, 05:45 AM
You nuts? Look at 0:28...he is clearly in the hole....

Pretty sure he's joking around. Awesome lift.

chris mason
09-12-2010, 09:07 AM
He drops like that to get the elastic bounce out of the hole (not to mention the stretch reflex) that will aid the lift. ATG squats are no more impressive when done like that than a parallel, or just below parallel squat for that very reason (you will note he literally bounces right past the usual sticking point).

I don't recommend squatting like that unless you start very light with that style and work your way up as you really need to strengthen your connective tissues to be able to do it without injury.

With that said, a raw 800 lbs squat is awesome!

brauny96
09-12-2010, 12:12 PM

If it were in a powerlifting squat, I would have given him a 2 whites and a red.

fasteddy
09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
and no spotter's ! his buddies must have a lot of confidence in him, could hear laughing after the sqt, AWESOME though

Rugby Dad
09-12-2010, 02:26 PM
DANG he walked that out too, and no spotters. AWESIME

JK1
09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't want to be an ass with squat, its an impressive feat of strength, but how are you guys coming up with 800 lbs based on the weights on the bar? Even if those are 25 kg (55 lb) rubber plates for all of them but the two really skinny ones (which I'm considering are probably 10 KG--22 lb plates), I'm only coming up with something in the mid 600s.Help me out here please. I'm obviously adding up something wrong.

Thanks

mastermonster
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
He drops like that to get the elastic bounce out of the hole (not to mention the stretch reflex) that will aid the lift. ATG squats are no more impressive when done like that than a parallel, or just below parallel squat for that very reason (you will note he literally bounces right past the usual sticking point).

I don't recommend squatting like that unless you start very light with that style and work your way up as you really need to strengthen your connective tissues to be able to do it without injury.

With that said, a raw 800 lbs squat is awesome!

This! It's like bouncing one off of a box except much lower (of course). My cousin Todd McKee used to squat like this in the middle 80's. He was 100 or so lbs. better bouncing off of the bottom than trying to stop at just under break. What you'll realize if you study the past lifters with this style is that their careers wern't real long. Most done by their 30's...like most olympic lifters who use the same technique on the clean and jerk. I'll never recommend any squatter using that style.....but like Chris said; still very impressive. Not too smart without spotters though!

ThomasG
09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm sure he knows how to bail from a squat...

SELK
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
that squat is insane. I hear he is going to do a raw PL meet soon, i bet he puts up a huge total, may even be close to the record from the numbers ive heard!

ThomasG
09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
that squat is insane. I hear he is going to do a raw PL meet soon, i bet he puts up a huge total, may even be close to the record from the numbers ive heard!

I haven't heard of that, that would be badass.

chris mason
09-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Close to what record?

chris mason
09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
I wonder why he would waste his time with a PL meet? He is strong enough that with some good technique he might actually make for a competitive US Olympic lifter...

JK1
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I want to know how those plates add up to 800 lbs... someone please help me out here. Thank you.

Pete22
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't want to be an ass with squat, its an impressive feat of strength, but how are you guys coming up with 800 lbs based on the weights on the bar? Even if those are 25 kg (55 lb) rubber plates for all of them but the two really skinny ones (which I'm considering are probably 10 KG--22 lb plates), I'm only coming up with something in the mid 600s.Help me out here please. I'm obviously adding up something wrong.

Thanks

I want to know how those plates add up to 800 lbs... someone please help me out here. Thank you.

I believe those are 50kg Eleiko bumper plates.

chris mason
09-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm guessing the big green ones are 100+ lbs.

JK1
09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I believe those are 50kg Eleiko bumper plates.

Even then, I'm not coming up with 363 kg. The most I can get adding them is 350 kg..

This is what I'm coming up with.
4 "red" plates (this includes the orangish colored one) at 25 kg each/side or 100 kg
1 "green" plate at 50 kg each/side
1 "blue" plates at 10 kg each/side
the yellow discs on the bar assume 5 kg each
and the bar--assume 20 kg... that adds up to 350 kg at the most.

I apologize for making such a big deal out of this, especially to Pat Mendes, even as I'm adding it, a 750+ lb RAW squat is a great squat. I don't want to take anything away from this video of his lifting.

I have stared at that barbell off and on all day now and I can't get the numbers to add up. I'm obviously missing something and its driving me nuts. I'm either coming up with something less than 800 lbs or something way over it. I'm doing something wrong with the math here.

NickAus
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
8 X 25 KG
2 X50 KG
2 X20 KG
2 X1.25 KG
Bar 1x 20 KG

Total=362.5 KG/ 799.16 LB

That is if they are in KG's which I think they are.

Strong squat, dangerous and asking for trouble but strong.

BloodandThunder
09-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Close to what record?

Open Raw World Record w/o wraps
275: 850
308: 826

Put a belt on him....let him optimize his PL form since he squats it Oly style. Both are obtainable. He'll also have to make sure he doesn't double-bounce out of the hole.

As far as powerlifting, a meet is not that big of deal given his training regime. He most likely back squats to a maximum several times a week. Remember Oly lifters train at a much higher frequency than PLers. This lift is most likely not even a peaked squat as a result of a training cycle, which is scary.

As far as the Olympics, I believe there's alot of dispute about him actually competing for USAW (mostly over drug testing). He just entered an Oly meet and entered as a Crossfit affiliate. He may actually lift for Brazil in 2012. His gym lifts are impressive, between him and Kendrick, American weightlifting may be a player soon in the Olympics.

JK1
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
8 X 25 KG
2 X50 KG
2 X20 KG
2 X1.25 KG
Bar 1x 20 KG

Total=362.5 KG/ 799.16 LB

That is if they are in KG's which I think they are.

Strong squat, dangerous and asking for trouble but strong.

Thanks Nick. I kept looking at it and try as I might, it didn't make sense to add up to the weight that was listed. I think I got caught up on the narrow blue plates. I have plates that are of that thickness in my gym that are 25 lbs (just over 10 kg), but I can see it if they are actually 20 kg plates. The thickness of the plates kept short circuiting my brain.

Thanks again.

chris mason
09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Open Raw World Record w/o wraps
275: 850
308: 826

Put a belt on him....let him optimize his PL form since he squats it Oly style. Both are obtainable. He'll also have to make sure he doesn't double-bounce out of the hole.

As far as powerlifting, a meet is not that big of deal given his training regime. He most likely back squats to a maximum several times a week. Remember Oly lifters train at a much higher frequency than PLers. This lift is most likely not even a peaked squat as a result of a training cycle, which is scary.

As far as the Olympics, I believe there's alot of dispute about him actually competing for USAW (mostly over drug testing). He just entered an Oly meet and entered as a Crossfit affiliate. He may actually lift for Brazil in 2012. His gym lifts are impressive, between him and Kendrick, American weightlifting may be a player soon in the Olympics.

I am pretty familiar with the general parameters of Olympic weightlifting training.

Your point about a powerlifting meet doesn't really make a lot of sense beyond the squat. First, it is claimed he almost never benches. Next, he most certainly would not do much deadlifting either....

As for his squat style, if he went to more of a powerlifting squat (to parallel etc.) he would squat less weight as he would not get to bounce out of the hole.

Finally, as to the US being a player, the guy hasn't done **** in an Olympic meet and even his videoed lifts would not be highly competitive in his weight class at a high level Olympic competition.

I think the guy has potential, but we will have to see if that translates to anything.

patos
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I am pretty familiar with the general parameters of Olympic weightlifting training.

Your point about a powerlifting meet doesn't really make a lot of sense beyond the squat. First, it is claimed he almost never benches. Next, he most certainly would not do much deadlifting either....

As for his squat style, if he went to more of a powerlifting squat (to parallel etc.) he would squat less weight as he would not get to bounce out of the hole.

Finally, as to the US being a player, the guy hasn't done **** in an Olympic meet and even his videoed lifts would not be highly competitive in his weight class at a high level Olympic competition.

I think the guy has potential, but we will have to see if that translates to anything.

His best youtube gym lifts would have won him junior worlds by a wide margin (48kg if you count his 240clean as a c+j, word is he jerked it from rack but didn't C+J it yet). The same lifts would have placed him 3rd at open world's, as a junior. If that's not highly competitive I don't know what is. His latest competition lifts would have won junior worlds as well, with an 8th place finish at open worlds, again as a junior. That's not what I'd call "hasn't done **** in a meet".

BloodandThunder
09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Think Chris is alluding to his performances in major meets....gym lifts are impressive, but they're gym lifts at the end of the day. Very impressive kid and his training is interesting. I believe there is a video of him sloppily benching a decent raw bench. Either way, a just for fun PL meet would be interesting. There seems to be more young talent in the USAW pool than years past which is nice.

chris mason
09-13-2010, 09:10 PM
His best youtube gym lifts would have won him junior worlds by a wide margin (48kg if you count his 240clean as a c+j, word is he jerked it from rack but didn't C+J it yet). The same lifts would have placed him 3rd at open world's, as a junior. If that's not highly competitive I don't know what is. His latest competition lifts would have won junior worlds as well, with an 8th place finish at open worlds, again as a junior. That's not what I'd call "hasn't done **** in a meet".

Who gives a **** about juniors?

A 528 lbs clean and jerk is good, if he actually does it, but still miles away from competing with the best of the best unless I am sorely mistaken.

Oh, and what were the actual competition lifts - not if you count something he didn't do...

Allow me to clarify my point. The US has the best powerlifters in the world. We therefore have strong people. US weightlifting hasn't done **** for years and years. The US should NOT be the chumps of the weightlifting world. This young man seems to have great potential, but potential means ****. Let's see him focus and get out there and do it.

patos
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Who gives a **** about juniors?

A 528 lbs clean and jerk is good, if he actually does it, but still miles away from competing with the best of the best unless I am sorely mistaken.

Oh, and what were the actual competition lifts - not if you count something he didn't do...

Allow me to clarify my point. The US has the best powerlifters in the world. We therefore have strong people. US weightlifting hasn't done **** for years and years. The US should NOT be the chumps of the weightlifting world. This young man seems to have great potential, but potential means ****. Let's see him focus and get out there and do it.

I could smell that juniors statement coming from miles away, and it's just not the right thought process in my opinion. Even though ultimately it's obviously true that open class is what really counts, you have to put him against those he's to be put up against. The fact is he sits on top of his actual highest level competition, or at least (probably) would if he went up against them. We have to compare him to open class lifters when he gets there, just like we compare 90kg lifters to 90kg lifters and 105kg lifters to 105kg lifters. Same concept, only one is age and one is weight.

I'll use an example to illustrate my point. Sidney Crosby was hyped as the next big thing already when he was playing 3 or even 4 levels under the NHL (hockey's MLB,NFL,etc). At that time, he was obviously total garbage laughable ****stain horrible compared to NHL players, let alone NHL stars, but he could be and was compared to them when they were at that level. Why? Because he was crushing his current competition something unbelievable.

To answer your question, I don't know about other competitions, but at the Vegas Open he went 180kg snatch and 220kg C+J, both 2nd attempts. It was on August 21st. 1st place junior worlds 2010 totaled 392kg.

chris mason
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Your concept of the juniors thing really does nothing for me relative to a guy who is 20+ years old. That's like aspiring to be a loser to me. You either want to beat the best or you don't. What weight class is he in?

rinse
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
But is he really a junior anymore? You stop being a junior in Olympic lifting the year you turn 21. There's a really good junior from Armenian who did 195-237 at the European Championships this year and cleaned 246 twice but just missed the jerk. That is in competition and with a drug test. Pat is extremly strong but he has too do his training lifts in the same conditions as his top rivals which means in international drug tested competitions for them to mean anything.

rinse
09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Your concept of the juniors thing really does nothing for me relative to a guy who is 20+ years old. That's like aspiring to be a loser to me. You either want to beat the best or you don't. What weight class is he in?

He's a super heavyweight.

Tom Mutaffis
09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
To answer your question, I don't know about other competitions, but at the Vegas Open he went 180kg snatch and 220kg C+J, both 2nd attempts. It was on August 21st. 1st place junior worlds 2010 totaled 392kg.

I agree with Rinse:

But is he really a junior anymore? You stop being a junior in Olympic lifting the year you turn 21. There's a really good junior from Armenian who did 195-237 at the European Championships this year and cleaned 246 twice but just missed the jerk. That is in competition and with a drug test. Pat is extremly strong but he has too do his training lifts in the same conditions as his top rivals which means in international drug tested competitions for them to mean anything.

Pat competed in the Vegas Open as a "crossfit lifter", you cannot compare that to numbers from an IWF international meet.

elilliebridge
09-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Pat is strong as hell! With that kind of weight, i would never let anyone even attempt squating it without spotters, even if you know you're strong enough to control it and get the weight....i've come to learn from my own expierence that you can get injured with any amount of weight when you least expect it. But then again i don't think he trains extremely heavy on the powerlifts like most powerlifters do that often, so the chance of him getting injured is a lot lower than your average raw powerlifter.

And i understand what Chris is saying completely. If he tried to only go parallel or just a inch under, he would probably get stuck with the weight, because that is not his style of squating. He is used to going ATG and bouncing out of the hole. From previous videos i've watched of him, it looks like he has been doing this for a very long time, so his joints and tendons and everything have built up to the tolerance with the heavy weights and explosive bouncing out of the hole. Now if he wore a belt, wraps or both together, this would also mess with his form because they help hold you tighter and i don't think he would be able to accomplish the same form and bouncing out of the hole with belt and wraps on. But i'm sure if he trained in belt and wraps for a little while, he would blow past an 850+ raw squat in no time like a joke. I do hope one day he does get into the belt and wraps, because well he's only human like the rest of us, and his joints and knees can only take that beating for so long until something lets go.

Pat seems like a real cool guy and one hell of an athlete/lifter. I would not be surprised to see him competing in the olympics, his explosive power is just insane. Congrats to you Pat and good luck with the rest of your training!

ThomasG
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong someone but I'm pretty sure Pat recently turned 20.

chris mason
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Don't go to the drugs testing b.s. Anyone who believes someone clean and jerking over 500 lbs is clean is a moron. Testing means ****.

Strong is strong.

rinse
09-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Don't go to the drugs testing b.s. Anyone who believes someone clean and jerking over 500 lbs is clean is a moron. Testing means ****.

Strong is strong.

Drud testing does matter. Ask anyone who competes in tested comps. The guys aren't clean that's not what I'm saying but to pass the test most guys lose a bit of their top strength. The top russian guys a couple of years ago lost 5-7,5 kg in the clean and jerk from their best non tested lifts to the world championships.

ThomasG
09-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Lol, Olympians get away with drug use all the time including in America. Americans love a winner are we really going to fail our best athletes? No.

rinse
09-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Lol, Olympians get away with drug use all the time including in America. Americans love a winner are we really going to fail our best athletes? No.

LOL! Your point is what? That drugtesting doesn't matter? Yeah right get some real knowledge about it and come back. Don't you think that weightlifters loses a little bit of strength and power if they have to get off certain drugs prior to getting tested? The numbers I posted are from a Russian coach that was posted in a closed russian forum back in the early 2000's. Even the lifters names where posted. In weightlifting it's one thing to do something in training another to do the same thing in competition and yet another thing to do the same thing in competition with a drugtest after.

chris mason
09-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Well Rinse, it really depends on a lot of factors. For one, the athlete may have access to a as of yet undettectable drug. In addition, what is your experience with anabolic use? Have you ever come off long enough to pass a test. Do you really know what can and cannot be done? Do all of those who fail actually get in trouble? A lot of factors...

rinse
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Well Rinse, it really depends on a lot of factors. For one, the athlete may have access to a as of yet undettectable drug. In addition, what is your experience with anabolic use? Have you ever come off long enough to pass a test. Do you really know what can and cannot be done? Do all of those who fail actually get in trouble? A lot of factors...

Well if you fail in the Olympics you can be sure you get in trouble. If you look up real meet results you can see that when certain lifters lift in untested events they usually lift a little bit more. This happens all the time in Eastern Europe. Why do you think the records from back in the 80's still stand in Olympic lifting? Can a lot better testing have something to do with it? Oh I wonder.....

There have even been charts of when certain steriods was stopped prior to a international comp. I don't know how things are now but in the early 2000's the lifters going to the Worlds first got tested at home to see that they could pass at Worlds a week later. This was in Russia where they support their lifters. Not every country does that. I compete in the WPC now and I followed the rules back when I lifted in the IPF if my personal expercience has a lot to do with my statements. My statement was just that it's one thing to do something in training and another thing to do the same thing in an international comp like the Olympics or Worlds. The drug testing is just one thing that makes it different.

But I hope Pat gets to the Olympics in 2012 and does really good. The guy obviously has a lot of strength and some really impressive training lifts.

chris mason
09-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Your logic that better drug testing is why some records from the 80s still stand is not very sound. For example, a similar phenomena has occurred in powerlifting and goes back to the 70s (if you look at raw lifts). I personally would ascribe it to the fact that anabolic steroid use really came into vogue at that time and until some better performance enhancer comes along (or a freak of freaks) human performance, even drug induced, can only go so far. In other words, the best drugged athletes of the 70s and 80s were as good as the best drugged athletes of today.

rinse
09-16-2010, 07:05 PM
But why are there records that are so far ahead from back in the 80's compared to today? Today the standards are higher but the top results are lower. If you compare the top 5 from the 80's to today the top 5 from today have a higher medium total but not as good top results as back in the day. Training and science has gone forward. But so has drugtesting. **** look at track and field. What about shot put, discus etc. Explain this.

And if the gear would have stayed the same as in the 80's you can bet that most records would have gotten broken. Sure there is some freaks but in weightlifting praticly no records are broken that were set in the 80's. Explain this?

You also have a new strength sport now that takes a lot of great guys from powerlifting. Back in the 80's strongman was pretty small and a lot of guys doing strongman would compete in other strength sports if strongman was what it was back in the 80's.

chris mason
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
What???? There are a LOT more powerlifters today then there were in the 70s.... That was a goofy statement.

Has not the Iranian fellow done something VERY close to the Russian fellow's best clean and jerk? Science in training hasn't done ****... The training methods of today are no better than they were then. That is just wishful and programmed thinking. We always want to think we are better than our predecessors.

If the top 5 median total is better than it was in the 80s then that pretty much ruins your argument? Are you trying to say only the 1st place people were doped?

rinse
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
What???? There are a LOT more powerlifters today then there were in the 70s.... That was a goofy statement.

Has not the Iranian fellow done something VERY close to the Russian fellow's best clean and jerk? Science in training hasn't done ****... The training methods of today are no better than they were then. That is just wishful and programmed thinking. We always want to think we are better than our predecessors.

If the top 5 median total is better than it was in the 80s then that pretty much ruins your argument? Are you trying to say only the 1st place people were doped?

Yeah and there would be even more top guys if strongman wasn't around.

The superheavyweight class is ONE class. Yes he was close but he didn't beat any of the records. Look at all the other male classes.

Weightlifting has grown in a number of countries and some top countries now a days weren't very good in the 80's. More people training and with a little better training(in my mind) and recovery. This raises results(median) but the records still doesn't get beat. Why? I'm not claiming that the guys today are clean because they aren't. What about shot put and discus? Why is the results worse today than then?

chris mason
09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
I can't say why shot putters etc. are not better and I will have to take your word on that as I don't know what is being done today vs. then.

I would guess a big difference may have a lot to do with training. Track guys used to be brutally strong. I wonder if they are now? I wonder if they have fallen the way of the US weightlifters and think speed and form are the key....
:)

Travis Bell
09-17-2010, 05:52 AM
A couple of the top US shot putters are pretty darn strong, but other than that, no it's not quite as impressive as it used to be.