PDA

View Full Version : The Focused Chronicles

Focused70
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away .... oh. Wrong movie.

Some of you know me, and those of you who don't, soon will.

In another life on WBB, I was known as the hobbit that could. Unfortunately, because of some financial difficulties, I haven't been lifting for quite a while. Three years to be exact. I used to weigh 175 ... not big by this board's standards, but given that I'm also HIV+ and started out at 135, pretty good if I do say so myself.

Next week will be the final installment on a $21,000 loan that I've been repaying for quite some time and it can't come soon enough! I'm about two weeks to a month away from rejoining a gym ... I could do it next week but I have some $$$ things that need to get squared away first.

I'll be ordering Starting Strength (the book and the DVD) shortly. Because I've been inactive for so long, I might as well be considered a beginner at this point. It'll do me some good to have some resources at my fingertips though. I also need to get reacquainted with some of the material on this site.

This journal will serve as a record of my lifts and also a photo record of my progression. For ****s and giggles, I weighed myself a few minutes ago. The good news is I'm 154. I also did a set of bodyweight squats. At least I haven't forgotten form. The bad news is my thighs want to know "who are you and what did you do to Focused?"

By this time next year, I will be 175 -- weight gain is easy on the SeeFood diet :drooling: -- but whether I'll be able to bench 100 lbs. is another story altogether. I'm looking forward to it, in any event.

Focused70
09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
So this is my "before before" pic thread, which you can view here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?82300-Spammage&highlight=sobaaddict70

I'll have updated "before before before" pix posted later tonight. I'm going to post them in this thread so that everything is in one place so I don't need to go search the site for something that I want to read.

I figure I can get some things done (prep, you might call it), between now and when I re-join the gym I used to belong to three years ago.

I don't know that I can do Starting Strength (SS) the first day back in the gym. I have specific issues (don't we all) that I need to address, compounded by the fact that I've been inactive for a long time.

1. Looking back on my old journal, I was working on squat balance and squat form. I'm stronger on my left side than on my right. Doing freeform balance work last night, I see that that hasn't changed, although once I get back in the saddle, things should improve quickly.

2. I need to strengthen my core before I attempt an SS program. I see Sensei has some videos addressing some movements, which I've bookmarked for later viewing.

3. Boris (Isaac) mentioned something about pushups ... being able to perform a pushup successfully, as a yardstick in order to bench press. I lack significant upper body strength to perform bench presses using a meaningful weight. I can do pushups from a kneeling position and that's about it. I think, what I'm going to have to do, is do a little research in this area first.

Workout and stuff

BW squats x6
BW squats x6

Random **** -- Doing squats makes you want to eat a horse afterwards.

And now I have to go get food. Later.

Focused70
09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
As you can see, I'm starting at roughly the same place as my "before before" pix this time around.

Goals:

Short term -- to be able to re-learn what I used to know, without too much trouble.
Long term -- if I can squat properly with a weight heavier than 90 lbs., in say, six months' time, that'll do wonders for my psyche.
Long(er) term -- ditto if I can bench more than 90 lbs.

Weight gain is easy, especially if you like to eat as much as I do. I'm contemplating doing half GOMAD and half cottage cheese and some combination of Nitrean and/or Results. I would do full-on GOMAD, except I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I have my own office which is great -- but a roomful of gas won't make me any friends at work.

Workouts and stuff

Plan was to do some burpees but I ditched that instead and walked home from the office. 2.5 miles in 45 minutes (includes time spent navigating crowds and waiting for street traffic/stop lights). Before anyone says anything, that's 40+ New York City-sized blocks. I have some residual DOMS in my quads, glutes and inner thighs which should be gone by tomorrow.

Diet and stuff

1: Triple egg omelette with bacon and cheese on a buttered roll; apple juice; banana
2: Pulled pork burrito with guac, sour cream, cheese, beans and salsa verde
3: Baked trout, tomatoes and shallots; rice; milk.
4: Cottage cheese + 2 tablespoons olive oil

The trout will be baked with 2 T. olive oil.

Needless to say, lots of water.

Totals: 3,620 calories; 169.1 p, 205.8 f, 276.6 c

Protein intake for the next two weeks will be a little lower than normal, at least until I'm able to place an order of Nitrean.

Later.

Focused70
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Workout and stuff

Burpees (http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm)

BW x10
BW x10
BW x10

Harder than they look or sound, but incredibly fun and challenging.

Diet and stuff

1: Triple egg omelette, 1 can tuna, rice
2: 8 tablespoons natty pb
3: 2 massive tuna salad sandwiches
4: Cottage cheese + olive oil
5 (to come): Raisins.

Half-gallon of whole milk and lots of water.

Totals: 3,962 calories; 242.4 p, 239.4 c, 231.5 f

Later.

Focused70
09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Am looking at an old journal I kept in this forum.

This is the routine that I'd like to eventually ease into, because it's what worked for me back when I was lifting regularly. I'll be going slowly at first. Because I've been out of commission for so long, there's going to be a little "re-learning" curve, if you will.

Wheelz

Squats
Good mornings
SLDL *or* hack squats
Leg extensions
Calf raises

Back and shoulders

Deadlifts
Military press in rack
Some kind of rowing movement *or* chins
Some kind of rear delt movement
Arnies
RC work
Shrugs

Chest and misc.

BB flat bench press *or* DB flat bench press
Dips/skullcrushers
Curls of some kind
Static holds/farmer's walk
Some kind of "core" work (see Sensei's vids)

Another thing I want to make clear (more of a note to myself but also helpful to other viewers) -- I don't do every movement that's listed for a specific part. I will do the main lift followed by a few side lifts depending on "feel" for that day.

I'm still going to get SS (the book and dvd) -- for tips, pointers and random bits of wisdom. If I do utilize power cleans in my routine in the future, Ripptoe's instruction will be very useful.

Workout and stuff

Nope.

Diet and stuff

3,423 calories; 201.1 p, 280 c, 172 f

Random **** -- Time spent in the gym is precious ... make the most of it. Use failures as learning experiences; look forward instead of backwards.

Chubrock
09-20-2010, 12:55 PM
What's going on man! Been quite a long time. Good to still see you here. Didn't recognize ya at first with the name change. Glad to see you've got the appetite of a horse man. Everything going alright? How's the bloodwork looking these days?

Focused70
09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
What's going on man! Been quite a long time. Good to still see you here. Didn't recognize ya at first with the name change. Glad to see you've got the appetite of a horse man. Everything going alright? How's the bloodwork looking these days?

Bloodwork is great as usual.

I really can't complain. I don't recall the numbers off-hand from my last checkup but T-cells were 500+ and vl was undetectable. HDL/LDL were pretty low too although it'll be interesting to see whether those numbers hold true the next time around being that I'm regularly consuming eggs, milk, cheese and red meat these days.

I changed my name because I want to get into a different mindset. (More on that later.)

Thanks for visiting Chub.

==============

Workout and stuff

Still doing conditioning prep.

blah blah warmup/RC work blah blah

One-legged deadlifts

BW x6
BW x6

Lunges

BW x5 (alternating)
BW x5 (alternating)

Bodyweight squats

BW x6
BW x6

Diet and stuff

Calories are a little low today. Had to go to a City agency this morning to file an application, then got sucked into a couple of projects once I got back to the office. Eh, I'll live.

1: Three egg omelette, home fries, banana, milk
2: Mixed salad w/ chicken, veg, mozzarella; banana, milk
3: Pasta with chicken liver and roasted peppers, milk
4 (to come): Cottage cheese + olive oil, milk

Lots of water and more milk.

Totals: 3,386 calories; 184 p, 273.5 c, 176.2 f

Random **** --

I'm like the biggest wuss ever. I've been going back and forth between my old routine and doing SS. Mostly because power cleans look intimidating. But I said the same thing about deadlifts back when I was more nooby, so maybe I should just man up.

But my shoulders and arms really are weak. Weaker than an 8 year old girl's if you can believe that. From conversations with Paul Stagg (for those of you who remember him) and Relentless, I'm subbing in bent-over bb rows for power cleans in Workout B and adding one set of chins to Workout A for the time being. Everything else remains the same. We'll see how that goes.

In other news, I'm renewing my gym membership on Friday. I can't ****ing wait.

Later.

Focused70
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
And so it begins.

Fri-uh-day, September 24, 2010

Workout and stuff

blah blah RC stuff blah blah

Squats

Warmup -- bar x5
55 x5
55 x5
55 x5

Notes: Was not really interested in adding weight so much as getting form and depth correct. I might have to figure out how to take videos using my digital camera so people can critique me.

Bench press

Warmup -- bar x5
50 x5
50 x5
50 x5

Notes: Increases are going to be very slow, although 50 was surprisingly easy -- 2nd set for the first two or three reps.

Deadlift

Warmup -- bar x5
65 x5

Notes: Not interested in weight so much as form.

Bent-over BB rows

bar x5
bar x5

Diet and stuff

1: Leftover pasta from last night; milk.
2: Triple egg omelette w/cheese, sausage on a toasted bagel; milk; a banana; grapefruit juice.
3: Chicken burrito w/ the works (rice, beans, shredded chicken, cheese, guac, lettuce, salsa verde); tostones; milk
4: Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, salad, milk
5 (to come): Peas and carrots w/butter, milk

Lots of water, etc.

Totals: 4,055 calories; 203.4 p, 421.2 c, 176 f

Random **** -- Weight this morning was 157.5. That's like, 6.5 lbs. gained since I started on the half-gallon of milk diet. Of course, most of that is probably fat but hey, I'll take what I can get. :drooling:

In other news, a friend sent me a copy of Starting Strength (the book). I just ordered the DVD. Can't wait.

Later.

Focused70
09-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Snoozeday*, September 26, 2010

Workout and stuff

+W indicates weight increase
+R indicates rep increase
+! indicates PR**

blah blah stretching, hip mobility exercises*** and RC work blah blah

Squats[/b]

Warmup -- bar x5
55 x5
55 x5
60 x5 (+5W)

Note: "You're taking a dump!" is an effective mantra.

Press

25 x5
25 x5
25 x5

Standing calf raises

75 x8 (slow count)
100 x8 (slow count)
100 x8 (slow count)
125 x8 (medium count)
125 x7 (medium count)

Situps

5 x8

*Because I like to sleep too much.
**Not going to happen for a long while unfortunately. :swear:

Diet and stuff

1: Scottish oatmeal w/ raisins, milk
2: Protein shake w/ fruit, natty pb, milk
3: Banana, mixed nuts, milk
4: Pasta w/meat sauce, salad ... and guess what, milk
5 (to come): Baked trout, squash, rice and milk
6 (to come): Can of tuna, 2 T. olive oil and milk

Totals***: 3,706 calories; 180.3 p, 319.2 c, 196.6 f

***Probably a little bit less b/c the protein shake was from my gym so I don't know macros there.

Later.

Focused70
09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Crappy workout, crappy diet, crappy weather and crappy mood right now.

Have less patience for idiots than usual today.

Workout and stuff

blah blah rotator cuff stuff/stretching blah blah

+! indicates PR

Squats

Warmup -- bar x5
60 x5
65 x5 (+5W)
65 x5

Note: Must remember "heels!"

Bench press

Warmup -- bar x5
60 x5 (+10W)
60 x4 (fail @ 5th)
50 x5

Note: Thank god I had a spotter for the 2nd set. Not sure what happened there ... 1-3 were sort of ok, struggled with the 4th and on the 5th, my arms decided to take a vacation. Oy vey.

I'll have to do 55x5x3 next time and see how that works out.

Deadlift

Warmup -- bar x7
65 x3
70 x3 (+5W)

Note: Must remember "heels!"

Diet and stuff

Calories are low so far today.

I'm an environmental law/land-use and zoning paralegal. It's a great job because it's not as sedentary as other paralegal jobs I've had in the past. The downside is when my stomach demands "FEED ME!" and I have to beat it back with a big stick. Or something.

Had to file a ULURP (uniform land use review process) application downtown at a City agency, then headed to Central Park to the Parks Dept. to pick up a document, then walked back to the office. So there's my cardio for today. Just got back to the office 45 minutes ago and I'm just having lunch now. :(

1: Couple of bananas and milk
2: Eggs over-easy, homefries and OJ
3: LARGE beef burrito w/ everything. Side of plantains.
4 and 5: Not yet, but I'll think of something. There'll be milk involved.

Totals: It'll be pretty meh.

:soapbox: Wannabe Palaver :soapbox:

So I'm about to go up to the cashier in this sandwich/salad shop at my office building when a group of tourists enters and gets there ahead of me. They're talking and doing the tourist thing and chatting up the cashier, and I'm like "folks, sightsee on your own time ... not when I have food in my hand that I'd like to eat". And the kicker is, some old lady asks me "are you on line" to which I reply "Yeah, lady, I like standing here".

I'm a nice guy most of the time until you get between me and my food.

Later.

Focused70
09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Weekly Weigh-In: 158.5

Probably mostly water weight and fat.

The plan is to do a slow clean bulk for the next eight months, then see what happens from there. Even with a .5 gain every week (a conservative estimate), I should be somewhere between 174 and 190 by May 2011. The first time I did the bulking thing back in 2004 I ended up at 187, then went on a PSMF-style mini-cut and ended up at 175. Just placed an order of Nitrean so that should help things along.

Weight gain is easy for me. Strength gain on the other hand, is a different ballgame. Because of my condition, it feels like a never-ending two step forward/one step backwards kind of thing. Especially on bench press.

Calories are going to be a little low today but not as low as yesterday hopefully. Have a field trip to a City agency in a few minutes ... should be exciting. And by exciting, I mean 'tedious'.

Workout and stuff

Crunches

x20 (slow)
x20 (slow)

Plank

x1 (30 seconds)
x1 (30 seconds)
x1 (45 seconds)

* Going to throw in medicine ball push-ups and related movements to help get bench up to speed. I might have to include some machine stuff.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Fri-uh-day, October 1, 2010

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

blah blah stretching, hip mobility and RC stuff blah blah

Squats

Warmup -- bar x7
60 x5
70 x5 (+5W)
70 x5

Note: Last couple reps of the 3rd set was a little shaky. Probably do 70x5x3 on Sunday.

Press

30 x5 (+5W)
30 x5
30 x5

Note: I'm gradually working my way up to doing these with the oly bar (as a baseline).

Assisted chins

12 -- x6
12 -- x6
12 -- x6

Note: Lower numbers = more weight/harder challenge. 12 is a nice baseline number to start off. The upper bod strength will also help nicely WHEN -- *not if* -- I learn to do power cleans.

Icarian Chest Press

bar+20 x6
bar+20 x6
bar+20 x6

Note: I'm not sure what the handlebars weigh so rather than enter an inaccurate weight, I'm just including the plates I added to the stack.

Standing calf raises

75 x8 (slow count)
125 x8 (slow count)
125 x8 (slow count)
150 x8 (medium count) (+25W)
150 x6 (medium count)

"Core"

Medicine ball crunches -- 2 x20
Arm-leg raises -- x20 (each side), x20
Plank -- 3 x 30 seconds

Diet and stuff

1: Cottage cheese, milk
2: 5 egg white omelette + cheese, homefries, fruit, toast, OJ
3: A BK double whopper with cheese, fries and soda. (Ok ... I have like less than 5 Big Macs a year ... I'm entitled to one every so often)
4: Pasta with tuna, broccoli, garlic and olive oil. And more milk.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
10-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Sunday, October 3, 2010

Can't believe it's already October. I turn 40 in 2 months. :(

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

blah blah stretching, hip/RC blah blah

Squats

Warmup -- bar x7
70 x5
70 x5
70 x5

Bench press

bar x8
55 x5
55 x5
55 x5

Deadlift

Warmup -- bar x5
60 x3
95 x3 (+20W)
95 x3

Assisted dips

Lower numbers = more weight. Not gonna happen for a while though b/c I'm essentially starting over again.

13 x6 (narrow)
13 x6 (narrow)
13 x6 (narrow)

General notes

Started doing "core" work on my off-days. Basics stuff like planks and crunch variations, mixed in with arm-leg raises. When I'm in the gym, I have fun with exercise balls. Also, thanks to Sensei for his vids ... they're extremely helpful.

Also -- I never thought I'd say that I enjoy doing "core" stuff. :windup:

Cardio: Nope.

Diet stuff

FitDay food log doesn't include a protein shake from my gym -- 1,150 calories and 60 g p (approximate amounts)

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4851579902_3cb68eab54.jpg
Part of today's lunch. Grilled salmon w/ dill.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Good looking workouts...good looking food...but what is your avatar supposed to be now?

I miss the donuts...they looked very yummy.

Focused70
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Good looking workouts...good looking food...but what is your avatar supposed to be now?

I miss the donuts...they looked very yummy.

Thanks for stopping in.

They're BBQ ribs, Texas style. Anyone who's in Dallas might know Baker's Ribs. They had a booth at the Big Apple Block Party here in NYC in 2008.

Donuts will reappear eventually in some form. :)

Off Road
10-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Okay, I see the ribs now (duh).

drew
10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey good to see you're back. Hope everything is going well.

For pushups: I remember reading an article Dave Tate wrote abot coming back from shoulder surgery. He did 100 pushups against a wall and gradually worked his hands down the wall over several months until he could do 100 pushups on the ground, then he began benchng again. Not saying you should do 100, but maybe start with 10 and see how it goes.

Focused70
10-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Fri-uh-day, October 8, 2010

Migraines suck. I get them once every few months. When they happen, everything shuts down for a few days. My environment gets limited to a darkened bedroom with the blinds drawn and my eating goes to ****.

On the other hand, something must have been working because I mysteriously gained 3 lbs. this week. Either my scale is broken or I'm delusional.

=============================================
Drew -- Thanks for stopping by. That is an idea which I'll be stealing. Guess I'll be doing those on my off-days.

Weekly Weigh-In: 161.5

Very likely fat and/or water weight but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Workout and stuff

Truncated session today. Lunch hour workout, then had to rush back to the office but at least some things got done.

+! indicates PR

blah blah stretching, hip and RC movements blah blah

Deadlifts

bar x8
60 x4
95 x3
95 x3
105 x3 (+10W)

Assisted chins

Lower numbers = more weight.

13 x5 (medium grip)
12 x5 (narrow grip)
12 x5 (narrow grip)

Standing calf raises

75 x8 (slow count)
100 x6 (slow count)
125 x6 (slow count)
150 x8 (medium count)
175 x8 (medium count) (+25W)
175 x8 (slow count)

Angled calf raises

The gym I belong to doesn't have the usual seated calf raise thing. Instead it's sort of like an angled bench at a 45 degree tilt. It's also plate loaded, the same kind of plates you use for free weight movements.

90 x8 (slow count)
90 x8 (slow count)
100 x8 (slow count)

Fun with exercise balls

x20 (slow)
x20 (slow)

Finis.

Diet stuff

I'll have to log my entries later. Mostly turkey sandwiches (how boring!) and shakes.

Random ****

The same folks who brought you this:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1429/536648908_fc92b4a897_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1376/536643636_e54e0c6621_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/536761217_f8260db296_o.jpg

recently opened a fried chicken version called imaginatively enough "Hill Country Chicken". Early reports are that it could be better. I'll be going in a couple of weeks ... there'll be lots of delicious food pr0n if you're into that sort of thing. :hump:

Later,

Stash

Off Road
10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad you're feeling better. Looking forward to the food pron, that stack of BBQed meat looks delicious.

Focused70
10-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Off Roadster -- If I've made you hungry, my photography has succeeded. :evillaugh:

=======================================

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I can't seem to catch a break. Ugh.

Caught a cold last week, ironically enough the day after I got my flu vaccine shot. That annoying sore throat I had during Friday's session exploded over the weekend. Had a doctor's visit on Monday and got put on antibiotics. I'm like 75% better, and while I probably shouldn't have gone to the gym today, it's not like exercise is going to kill me.

Unfortunately the squat racks were already occupied by the time I got there so today's log won't be of (much) interest.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Assisted chins

13 x8 (+3R) (medium)
12 x8 (medium)
12 x5 (narrow)
11 x2 (narrow) -- FAIL!

Note: I did the 11 x2 for ****s and giggles ... could probably do a full set of 11 to start off next time.

Assisted dips

12 x8 (narrow)
11 x8 (narrow)
11 x6 (wide)
10 x6 (wide)

Note: Looking back on the old journal (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?41037-WBB-s-Professional-Hobbit), I see that stage 8 was where I left off so the fact that I was able to do stage 10 today means I'm not too far from where I used to be.

Standing calf raises

100 x8 (slow count) (+2R)
125 x8 (slow count)
150 x8 (slow count)
150 x6 (medium count)
175 x8 (medium count)
175 x8 (medium count)

Angled calf raises

90 x10 (slow count) (+2R)
90 x10 (slow count)
110 x8 (slow count) (+10W)
110 x8 (slow count)

Fun with exercise balls

x20
x20
x20
x18 (+1 set)

Also plank and other assorted "core" stuff.

Hyperextensions

BW x10
BW x10
BW x10

I feel good. Tomorrow I will feel sore.

Daily Grumble

I plan to get to the gym early Friday morning so I can get first crack at the squat cage. The problem is, I like to sleep too much.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Fri-uh-day, October 15, 2010

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Squats

bar x7
60 x5
70 x6 (+1R)
70 x6
70 x6

Bench press

bar x8
55 x5
55 x5
55 x5

:soapbox: Yes, I suck. Shut up. :soapbox:

Also my right side is weak(er). What's up with that?

Deadlifts

bar x8
70 x5
95 x3
115 x3 (+10W)

I'm so concerned with form, you have no ****ing idea. I needn't have worried though ... back seems to be fine. On the other hand I might have to deload for a week or two because 115 x3 felt tough. To most of you, pulling 115 is like pulling tissue paper out of a box. But things are different given my situation.

On the plus side! Heels! as cue works like a charm. Core was tight throughout. I have a tendency to let things "loose", if you know what I mean.

I still hate "core" work but then I think of deadlifts and how it feels afterward. That's what keeps me going.

Fun with exercise balls finish off.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2832426790_12259b5ec8_o.jpg

I don't know who visits this journal but here's a food shot to draw the lurkers out of the woodwork. :hello:

Later,

Stash

Focused70
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Wherein the hobbit discovers that it's almost two months until he turns forty...

Really busy this week and it's going to be another long day at the office.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Assisted chins

Stage 20 = 0% bodyweight
Stage 0 = 0% assistance

stage 11 x5 (medium) (-1 stage)
stage 11 x5 (narrow)
stage 11 x4 (narrow)

Assisted dips

Once again, stage 20 = 0% bodyweight while stage 0 = 0% assistance

stage 10 x6 (wide) (-1 stage)
stage 10 x6 (narrow)
stage 10 x7 (narrow)

Some chest press machine -- the advantage of which I can concentrate on the side that's weaker

bar +30 x8 (+10W)
bar +30 x6
bar +30 x8

Standing calf raises

100 x8 (slow count)
150 x7 (slow count)
175 x8 (medium count)
175 x8 (fast count)
200 x10 (medium count) (+25W)
200 x10 (fast count)

Angled calf raises

90 x8 (slow count)
110 x8 (slow count)
120 x8 (slow count) (+10W)
120 x10 (slow count)

Fun with exercise balls and other "core" stuff" to finish off.

Daily Grumble

The combination of farts and a crowded subway train is a deadly recipe.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Nice work on the big 3 above.
and thanks for keeping me on top of those spammers.

Focused70
10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Off Roadster -- I try to do my part. :)

====================
Fri-uh-day, October 22, 2010
In which the hobbit wakes up to a colder than usual autumn morning...

Weekly Weigh-In: 162.5

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Truncated lunchtime session today.

Squats

bar x8
75 x5 (+5W)
75 x5
75 x5

Assisted dips
Folks were bench pressing so I did something else. I figure I'll get in early enough on Sunday that this won't be an issue.

stage 10 x6 (wide)
stage 10 x6 (narrow)
stage 9 x5 (narrow) (-1 stage)
stage 9 x7 (wide)

Stage 9 = 45% assistance or approx. 89 lbs (55% of BW), a gain of a little over 36 lbs. since I started lifting again.

Deadlifts

bar x8
95 x5
115 x3
125 x3 (+10W)

Because I did dips today, I'll take care of press and bench on Sunday.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/2561791979_dd6e17c3f3_o.jpg
How about some pulled pork?

Later,

Stash

Focused70
10-22-2010, 04:37 PM
It's funny how this journal started out as a re-do of my old routine, then morphed into a slightly modified SS, then morphed into a compromise between the two. I was thinking about that this morning ... that maybe I fell off the wagon a little too quickly. But I can't really worry about that ... I have to do what works for me.

Was watching a PT work with a client today. I might work in some cable rear delt extensions on Sunday. My own delts (HAH!) are non-existent.

Off Road
10-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Ha, I had my wife's pulled pork last night...so dang yummy, I had three huge pulled pork sandwiches.

Focused70
10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Woohoo, page 2 ... I have arrived!!!

Off Roadster: -- Pork is the OTHER white meat.

=======================
Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Some jacked mofo was pulling 4 pps :bow: :bow: :bow: so I did a few sets of assisted dips to warm up.

Squats

bar x8
75 x5
75 x5
80 x5 (+5W)

I thought I had 80 on the bar the first two sets. It was a /facepalm moment.

Press

bar x5
bar x4
bar x2 ... oy vey. ...

Cable rear delt extensions

5 x8
5 x8
5 x8

Standing calf raises

150 x8 (fast count)
175 x8 (fast count)
200 x10 (fast count)
200 x10 (fast count)

Angled calf raises

140 x8 (+20W) (medium count)
140 x8 (medium count)
140 x7 (medium count)

Hyperextensions and other "core" stuff, and done.

Focused70
10-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Saturday, October 30, 2010

Busy week at work and it's only going to get worse next week.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Box squats/b]

bar x8
60 x5
60 x5
60 x5

[b]Bench press

bar x8
55 x6
60 x6
60 x5

I feel good -- that was the first time in a long while where I didn't struggle on the last set. Next stop = 65.
Been close to a month since the last time I attempted 60, so clearly there's been some improvement.

Deadlifts

bar x8
95 x5
115 x3
115 x3

This is what happens when you forget your notebook at home. FAIL!

Assisted dips

Lower stages = more bodyweight.

Stage 9 x8 (narrow)
Stage 9 x7 (wide)
Stage 8 x5 (narrow)

Finis.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
10-30-2010, 08:24 PM
If you can bench 60, I expect you to squat more than that. Kick it in the pants man, it's in there somewhere :)

Focused70
10-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm always worried I'm not going low enough. The box squats were just to help my mindset.

Also ThomasG doesn't live in NYC otherwise I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Almost forgot. Was 163 earlier this morning after taking a dump. Life is good.

Focused70
11-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Somehow the lock I usually carry with my gym bag wasn't there this morning. hmmm. Put my wallet in my sock and carried on as usual.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
75 x8 (+3R)
80 x8
80 x6

Assisted dips

stage 10 x8 (wide)
stage 10 x8 (narrow)
stage 9 x8 (wide)

Assisted chins

stage 11 x6 (medium) (+1R)
stage 10 x6 (narrow) (-1 stage)
stage 10 x5 (narrow)

Calves, hypers and a couple of "core" stuff to finish.

Skwatz, press and I dunno, maybe deadz on Friday.

Have to pick up a broomstick and practice power cleans at home.

Stash

Focused70
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Fri-uh-day, November 5, 2010

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
85 x5 (+5W)
85 x5
85 x5

Deadz

bar x8
95 x5
135 x3
135 x3

Press

bar x5
50 x5 (+5W)
50 x4

How about that.

I feel like steak tonight (but what will probably happen is sushi instead).

Later,

Stash

Focused70
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Hobbit Food Pr0nography
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/5149598378_398033c188_b.jpg

By the way, anyone want to guess what this is?

I'll give you a little hint -- it tastes like chicken, literally.

Off Road
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice increase on the squats.
Looks like frog legs?

Focused70
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Off Roadster -- Yes, they're frogs' legs.

It's clear I'm going to have to try harder to stump you.

=====================
Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pic from this morning:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/5155576461_47fa85a355.jpg

About a 6.5 to 7 pound gain so far for anyone who's been keeping score. Probably mostly fat. :cry:

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

You're probably wondering what with the "! indicates PR" business. While it's true I was on a hiatus for 3 years b/c of financial difficulties (so coming off from that extended break, even a 5 lb. gain on bench press is a PR), the honest truth is, I don't consider anything a PR until I'm able to exceed the poundages in my old journal. More of a note to myself -- for squats, that means 110; bench, 105 and deadlifts, 245. I also have a little disadvantage because of the weight/muscle/strength loss that comes with being poz. On the other hand, that's not so much a setback as a way to give me a kick in the pants when I need it most.

Remember the tao of lifting: you get out what you put in.

Skwatz

bar x8
85 x6 (+1R)
85 x5
85 x7 (+2R)

Benchy

bar x6
65 x5 (+5W)
65 x5*
65 x5*

* = spotted sets

Assisted chins

stage 10 x4 (medium) (-1 stage on medium)
stage 11 x5 (narrow)
stage 11 x4 (medium)

Standing calf raises

200 x8
200 x8
200 x8
200 x8

Angled calf raises

140 x8
140 x8
140 x8
140 x8

Think I'll try my hand at power cleans (with just the bar) next time. I saw someone doing them today; watched him and asked him for pointers. The "jumping part" is the part I can't wrap my brain around. Also wrist flexibility might be an issue but I won't know until I try.

Incidentally, my gym is the NYC branch of the same gym where Rich Gaspari got his start back in the mid-1980s.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
11-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Yikes...Man Feet :clown:

You will hit your PRs soon enough. Everything is on the rise.

Focused70
11-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crazy week at work. :(

Eating's been off, also today's session was supposed to have been yesterday's ... if it weren't for a 2nd assignment that got handed to me at the last minute.

Truncated lunch time session today.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
90 x5 (+5W)
90 x5
80 x5

2nd set felt a little shaky so I deloaded 10 lbs. I don't think there'll be much upward progression for a couple of weeks until I feel confident and strong enough (and by that, I mean that I'd like to see a solid triple of 90x5x3 at a minimum before adding more weight).

Deadz

bar x8
95 x5
135 x3
135 x3
140 x3 (+5W)

Assisted dips

stage 9 x10 (narrow)
stage 9 x8 (narrow)
stage 8 x6 (wide) (-1 stage)
stage 8 x5 (wide)

Hyperextensions

BW x15
BW x15
BW x13

And done. Saturday should be better (as in I'll have lots more time so I won't feel rushed -- will be attempting cleans then).

Oops. Locked my stuff in my gym locker and left the key inside. D'oh! Thank god for padlock cutters. Also running around in the gym half-naked while wearing a towel isn't a good idea.

Later,

Stash

chevelle2291
11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Good efforts lately. I suspect that you have a lot more strength in you, however. How tall are you?

Focused70
11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Chevy -- Thanks. I give nicknames to everyone who posts in my journal. I'm a six-foot tall professional hobbit (also 39, HIV+ and just getting back into lifting from a forced 3-year vacation.) You're correct there's a lot of strength in me but much of what comes first is a rediscovery phase. Consistency as usual, is key.

As I remarked on Facebook, I could seriously see myself squatting 1 pps in a couple of months. I've never been able to do that, even when I was lifting 3 years ago. Actually, as I recall, 90 lbs. took me a long while the first time around. I never thought I'd say that skwatz are my favorite movement over deadlifts (and that's saying a lot).

S.

Focused70
11-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Wherein the hobbit finds that his form sucks ...

I had someone critique my form today with 90 on the bar. Not really parallel ... maybe an inch off. So if you're expecting more of the same today, you're going to be disappointed..

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
65 x5
65 x6
65 x5[/b]

It seems to me that hip flexibility/mobility is my big issue this time. So I deloaded by 25 lbs. and made sure to go to parallel or lower for each of those.

Press

50 x5
50 x5
55 x5 (+5W)

Power cleans

bar x5
bar x5

And my form REALLY sucks.

Watching a vid -- I can see how it's done, but I learn best when someone can demonstrate, in person. The internet only goes so far.

Weight was 166 this morning, after bio stuff. I also seem to have gained an inch on my waist. :(

Later,

Stash

Off Road
11-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Good for you. Working on the form is important and will lead to bigger lifts. I know it sucks to lighten a weight, but you'll feel much better when you get the weight up legitimately.

Isaac Wilkins
11-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Hey man! Great to see you've started back with a journal!

OffRoad hit it right on the head: Focus on getting your form right at first with small, gradual increases. Once that starts to feel really good you'll take off.

Keep up the good work!

Off Road
11-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Update?

Focused70
11-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Off Roadster -- Keep your panties on (j/k), I've been working 12 hour days for the past 3 weeks. Haven't had time to go to the gym, much less eat. My diet went off the rails this week (and yeah, I know Behemoth and whatshisname work lotz and still manage to fit in the gym.)

I got yer update today.

Panda -- OMG you're posting again. Sup f00?

===========================
Sunday, November 21, 2010

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

70 x6
70 x6
70 x5

To parallel. These were wide stance though, I really need to work on my hip mobility so I can do them shoulder width like most people do.

Assisted dips/chins

Dips (all wide) --

9 x8
9 x7
8 x7
8 x6

Chins (all medium) --

11 x6
11 x6
10 x5

Deadz

I'll take "bench jockeys be gone" for $100, Alex.

bar x8
95 x5
135 x5
135 x5

Time to move up on these. Been working on slow and controlled on the descent.

Random ****

McRib sandwiches hit the spot when you can't get real food down the gullet.

I have to find out if they're open Thursday. I'll be with friends later that evening but the way scheduling will work this week, a sesh will fall on T-day itself.

Later,

Stash

chevelle2291
11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Very sorry to hear you are HIV+. :(

Good idea on the deload. I too am not happy with my squat form.

Chubrock
11-22-2010, 06:37 PM
You know, I'll have to defer the McRib comments to you oh lord of the food, as I've never had one.

Focused70
11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Chevy -- I can't worry about that, ya know? **** happens, you move on. The worst that has occurred was an extended case of MRSA shortly after the diagnosis. I'm REALLY thankful to be alive seven years later. I never thought I'd live to see 40. My birthday is in a month.

Lifting makes you feel young again in more ways than one.

Chubster -- It's 500 calories of awesome porky goodness. I could eat five of them at one sitting but that might not be such a good idea. LOL.

==================================
Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm taking tomorrow (Thanksgiving) off and getting back in the gym Friday.

Weight was 166 after my morning dump. I've been fluctuating between 163 and 166 for the past week.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

I actually did four sets. Was not my intention ... I had someone watch me the last set so I could get a sense of whether I was going to parallel. He did say I was about 1/2" above parallel but that could have been because I had already shot my load ... lifting wise. Otherwise I'm there.

I feel good knowing I can get to where I need to be. I think going forward I'll have someone watch me whenever possible because I can't tell by feel whether I'm at parallel. And if it's not at parallel, why bother?

bar x8
65 x6
75 x6
75 x7
75 x6

In other news, now I know what a really SORE butt feels like. LULZ.

Assisted dips -- all wide

Remember, lower numbers mean more bodyweight.

10 x6
8 x8
7 x6 (-1 stage)
6 x5! (-1 stage)

Plan is to begin at 7 next time and work progressively downward.

Press

50 x5
50 x4
50 x5

Angled calf raises

140 x10
140 x8
160 x8 (+20W!)
160 x8

That's the first time in a very long time where my calves started screaming. It's such a great feeling, I could barely walk to the subway. HAH!

I can tell tomorrow's going to be interesting. At least I'll be well-fed and drunk.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
11-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Well-fed, drunk, and sore legs...sounds like Thanksgiving is gonna be good. Have a great one.

Focused70
11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Off Roadster -- It was a turkey-less Thanksgiving. I like turkey, except not a full meal of it. I'll post the menu if you want although it might make your eyes glaze over.

=================
I don't have my notebook in front of me so I'll just post today's sesh from memory.

Monday, November 29, 2010

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

Felt a little weak today.

bar x8
75 x6
75 x5
75 x6

Benchy

bar x8
60 x8
60 x6
70 x5* (+5W)

* = spotted set

Assisted dips

7 x6 -- wide
7 x5 -- wide

Assisted chins

10 x5 -- narrow
10 x5 -- narrow

Weight was 167 this morning, post-dump.

Right now, am hungry and feeling sleepy. Afternoon workouts always want to make me go to bed.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5010/5223220203_d15e8fc09b_o.jpg

A 3 lb. jump from earlier this month. I only FEEL fatter when I put on a pair of jeans ... must go clothes shopping this weekend.

Anyway.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
75 x6
77.5 x6
77.5 x6

I could not for the life of me find a stupid 2.5 lb. plate to save my life. The right side was slightly heavier than the other which is just as well, because I consider that my weaker side.

If you were to look at me, you'd see that my right calf is a lot smaller than my left. Probably because when I was growing up, I had surgery on that leg to correct a club foot.

At least they were to parallel.

Deadz

bar x8
135 x3
135 x3
145 x4 (+5W)

Assisted chins -- all medium

10 x6
10 x6
10 x4

Calves

150 x8
150 x8
175 x8
175 x8

Gonna go eat a couple of dead cows for dinner.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
12-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Focused70 would like the gnomes of Azeroth to invent a device that makes time in the real world slow down. He'd like them to do it soon (TM), preferably before the Cataclysm*.

*In other words, my 40th birthday later this month.

Off Road
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Young pup :)

Focused70
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Off Roadster -- The mountain gets steeper as time marches onward.

======================
Sunday, December 5, 2010

Can't believe it's 2011 in 26 days. Where did the year go?

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
75 x6
75 x6
80 x5

I had someone watch my sets.

It seems I have depth down pat, now I need to work on keeping my shoulders back and maintaining a tight arch on the descent. I could do better with having my feet point out wider. Things are coming along though which is what counts the most.

Benchy

bar x8
65 x5
70 x5*
75 x5* (+5W)

* = spotted sets

Deadz

bar x10 (+2R)
95 x5
115 x5
135 x3
150 x3 (+5W)

Calves

140 x8
140 x8
150 x7
150 x6

Gonna have some dead cow for dinner.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Nice increases.

Focused70
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Off Roadster -- Thanks f00.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
80 x6
80 x6
80 x6

Getting back up there, but still at parallel.

Assisted chins -- all medium

12 x8
11 x6
11 x6

Assisted dips -- 2 wide, 1 narrow

9 x8
9 x8
9 x7

Seated presses

55 x5
55 x5
55 x5

Calves -- standing

150 x8
150 x8
175 x8
200 x7

Pic Update!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5240032481_22995a7959_o.jpg

The left pic was shot on September 16, 2010. The right pic was taken this past Monday evening. Even though I'm FAT, I suppose you can see some changes.

Weight's been fluctuating between 168.5 and 170 lately. I'm 169 in the right pic, a gain of 18 lbs. since I started lifting.

I'm about halfway where I want to be ... figure I'll bulk to around 190-200, then decide what to do next. Lighting in my apartment sucks, otherwise I'd show the other half. Waist size is manageable ... I'm good for another 10 to 15 lbs. before I'd have to go buy some pants.

In other news, I'll probably hire a PT to show me the ropes when it comes to doing power cleans. Youtube videos only go so far where I'm concerned. Prolly in early February after I file my taxes.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
The squats are paying off.

Focused70
12-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Off Roadster -- I'd like to think they're also helping me in my other lifts.

============================
Saturday, December 11, 2010

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x6
80 x6
80 x7 (+1R)
80 x6

Benchy

70 x5
70 x6 (+1R)
75 x6* (+1R)

* = spotted set

More like 75 x 5.5 since I gave out at the last rep.

Based on today's effort, I think I'll attempt 75, 75, 80 next time around. I feel like I'm in a good place.

Deadz

bar x8
135 x5
150 x3
150 x5 (+2R)

Am I weird that bench and squat are half my deadlift? Or maybe I'm just a freak of nature.

Later,

Stash

f=ma
12-11-2010, 04:45 PM
sup man, been meaning to stop by.. either way the key is to keep adding weight to the bar. bulking is pointless if youre not challenging yourself! and by challenge i mean on the verge of blacking out :P

chevelle2291
12-11-2010, 04:47 PM
sup man, been meaning to stop by.. either way the key is to keep adding weight to the bar. bulking is pointless if youre not challenging yourself! and by challenge i mean on the verge of blacking out :P

This.

Focused70
12-11-2010, 08:05 PM

mmhmm

although it's funny you say that because the first time I did leg presses back in 2003, I blacked out momentarily. I think I was out cold for 5 minutes, probably from the shock of pressing 50 lbs. LOL

Focused70
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
anyway, I think I'm doing all right even though the peanut gallery disagrees

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5010/5252619914_4057cd2445_o.jpg

pic on the left was taken on 9/16/10, pic on the right was this afternoon. Oogly boogly.

I expect to see more improvements the next pic update six months from now.

Focused70
12-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Chevy/Captain Physics -- Thanks for stopping in. (I had to think long and hard for a nickname for f=ma. I think it fits. :))

=======================
Monday, December 13, 2010

Weight was 169 this morning after dumpage.

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x6
80 x5
85 x5
85 x5

To parallel. It might be a couple of weeks before I get to 90. We'll see. On at least two of the reps on the last set, it felt like I was doing a good morning to get out of the hole.

Also, Ripp talks a lot about learning to feel rather than see. That's harder than it sounds, at least where I'm concerned.

Rear delt cable extensions

5 x8
5 x8
5 x8

Assisted chins -- all narrow

11 x8 -- these were clean and high. I keep forgetting on setting it on 10, so consequently the last two sets weren't as tight. I could've probably done 10, 9, 9 come to think of it.
10 x6
10 x5

Calves -- standing

150 x8
175 x7
175 x8

Press

Some boob was monopolizing the rack. I was like, "can't I work in with you?" Grumble. Ideally I wanted to do these after my squats but that didn't happen.

55 x6
55 x6
60 x5 (+5W)

Diet is gonna go off the rails tonight. I've been invited to a holiday gathering at a Thai restaurant in Queens. Reservation is for 18 people and it's BYOB.

In other news, it isn't every day you get to see someone deadlift 585x1. That's 6 pps for the mathematically challenged. :bow:

Later,

Stash

Focused70
12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Friday, December 17, 2010

Forgot to update Wednesday.

Blech.

+! indicates PR

Skwatz[/'b]

bar x6
80 x6
85 x6 (+1R)
85 x6

Better but stil not satisfied with myself. I might have to do some box squats ... or I could be overthinking things. Don't have a video camera otherwise I'd post a vid.

[b]Benchy

bar x8
75 x6
70 x5
75 x6*

* = spotted set

Slight deload 2nd set ... last rep of set 1 felt a tad weak. 3rd set was all me, almost gave out the last rep but I squeaked it out of my ass. Still shooting for 80, maybe by this time next week it'll happen. Gym is open Christmas Eve which is awesome because I'll be stuffing my face on my birthday. I'm 15 lbs. from 90, a major milestone for me ... I know I can do it, I just have to put my mind to it.

Deadz

bar x8
95 x5
135 x5
155 x3 (+5W)
155 x3

Have some concerns that I'm rounding my back. Might need to have someone watch me.

In other news, weight is holding steady at 170. Have to look into drinking 1% skim if I can get past the taste.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Sunday, December 19, 2010

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
85 x5
85 x5
90 x5

I had to really work for that last rep of the last set. I feel good, especially since depth was fine.

Press

55 x5
55 x6
60 x6 (+1R)

Assisted dips

7 x8 -- wide
7 x7 -- wide
7 x7 -- narrow

Calves -- all standing

175 x9
175 x8
200 x8
225 x6 (+25W)

Gonna shoot for 95 on squats and 80 on bench sometime this week.

1% milk isn't half bad although I do miss the taste of whole milk.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
12-20-2010, 07:48 AM
I feel the 100 lb squats coming very soon. Push it!

Focused70
12-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Off Roadster -- Sooner or later, time will tell. (Bonus points if you know which video game has that reference.)

==============================
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Wherein the hobbit blows his wad early...

My fortieth birthday is in 3 days. Eek!

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
90 x5
90 x5
95 x5 (+5W)

They're open Xmas eve. 100-lb. skwatz sounds like a plan, eh?

Benchy

80 x4 (+5W)
75 x5
80 x3* :tuttut:
65 x4 :soapbox:

* = spotted set

Hmmm ... maybe I shouldn't have started at 80 first off, and done 75/80/80 instead. Last rep of set 1 felt a little weak (also being it was not spotted) so I de-loaded to 75. That was barely ok. Then on set 3, I gave out at rep 3. But in retrospect, the lift-off could've been better handled. Couldn't even do a full set of 65. *sigh*

Sounds like I'll be de-loading to 70 and working back up next time.

Deadz

bar x8
135 x5
155 x4
160 x3 (+5W)
160 x3

Grip needs work.

Assisted chins

Lower numbers = less assistance/more bodyweight.

10 x6 -- medium
9 x5 -- narrow (-1 stage)
9 x4 -- medium

Weight is somewhere between 171 and 172.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4895529647_926b323b43.jpg
Dinner tonight -- chile rubbed chicken, Southwestern salad

Later,

Stash

chevelle2291
12-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Wow that food looks amazing!

You'll get that 100 lb. squat for sure.

Off Road
12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
If you want to get past that 100 lbs in the squat...I want to see at least half a chicken on that plate :)

Focused70
12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
god i'm sitting here at work and trying not to fall asleep.

there's a reason why i prefer lifting in the afternoon. because if i eat an early lunch like today, 4 pm rolls around and i've got my head on my desk (i have my own office and it's a fairly secluded location so i can get away with that stuff from time to time)

except last night's session has made me hungrier than usual. must go eat some dead cow in a few. later.

Focused70
12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Chevy -- Thanks for the support!

Off Roadster -- Caveman etiquette isn't my thing.

Friday, December 24, 2010
Wherein the hobbit could barely walk to the subway after his workout...

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
95 x5
95 x5
100 x5 (+5W)

god that felt heavy but at least I managed it.

Press

50 x5
50 x5

Ran out of steam after that.

Assisted dips

Lower numbers = less assistance/more bodyweight

7 x6 -- wide
6 x6 -- narrow (-1 stage)
6 x6 -- narrow

Calves -- standing

175 x8
200 x8
200 x8
225 x8

Calves -- angled

170 x8 (+10W)
170 x8
170 x8
170 x8

Hyperextensions

BW x14
BW x15
BW x15

I feel good. Tomorrow I will feel sore.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
12-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Happy Birthday.

Focused70
12-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Off Roadster -- Thanks f00.

=========================
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Wherein the hobbit tries something different...

Took yesterday off because of New York City's snowpocalypse.

+! indicates PR

Skwatz

bar x8
85 x5
85 x5
90 x5

De-loaded to 85. I don't know if it's just mental but last week 100 felt really heavy. 90 was doable. It's only 10 more lbs. so maybe I'm fooling myself? Maybe not a true de-load ... I'll see on Thursday.

Deadz *

bar x8
95 x5
135 x5
160 x4
165 x4 (+5W) **
165 x4
135 x8 ***

* Different rep schema today. I realize I could easily add 10-20 lbs. on my deadlift each session but I think I still have deficiencies when it comes to upper bod strength and core stability. I'd rather progress slowly than make huge jumps in poundages. There are times when I think my form probably sucks but I have no way of knowing without a quick glance to the side or unless someone tells me.

** I thought I was doing 170 but in retrospect it was just 165. Apparently I fail at basic math.

*** Last set was mostly for grip work. Tried to do these as quickly as possible while maintaining a steady control on the eccentric.

Assisted chinz

12 x6 -- wide
12 x6 -- wide
11 x3 -- wide

I should probably include wide-grip chins more than medium or neutral-grip like I've been doing.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5164/5295731626_219f48942a_o.jpg

Just something I whipped up a couple of nights ago. Baked shrimp, with garlic, parsley and potatoes.

Later,

Stash

chevelle2291
12-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Deads are lookin good.

f=ma
12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
a snow day in NYC? i thought you guys were supposed to be tough :)

imo.. you should not deload squats. keep adding 10/week... if it feels heavy, that is good! if youre not seeing spots, youre not pushing hard enough haha

Focused70
01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Friday, January 7, 2010

Getting over a sore throat/general feeling of lethargy/tiredness. Not sure if it's a cold, god I hope not because when I get colds, they stay with me for more than 2-3 weeks.

Colds suck.

Weak session tonight.

Squats

bar x8
75 x5
75 x5
85 x5

Deadlifts

bar x8
95 x6
135 x4
155 x4
155 x4

Calves

175 x8 x4 -- standing
140 x6 x3, 160 x6 x3 -- angled

Thinking I'll probably morph into the traditional 3-day split very soon. Something along the lines of (1) chest/triceps, (2) back/biceps, (3) legs/shoulders. It'll still be a compound-centric routine but I won't be doing squats three times a week and it won't be Starting Strength. Every other week back day will probably be deadlift day. Because I do love to deadlift. My squat may suck, my bench may suck but at least I can pull close to my bodyweight. Neener neener.

PS. I very rarely do direct arm work so don't think I'm going to morph into a curl jockey. That's not gonna happen.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
The Halfling Curl Jockey...you want me to change your user name?
Nice efforts despite being under the weather. I just got over a three week cold myself.

Off Road
01-18-2011, 07:22 AM
That bug must have knocked you out of commission?

Focused70
01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Off Roadster -- Started out as a sore throat, then very quickly evolved into a cough, cold and possible bronchitis. Haven't been to the gym in two weeks. Started on amoxicillin on Friday and while that cleared out say, about 80%, there's still some residual nastiness in my chest cavity and throat. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow -- for semi-annual blood monitoring, testosterone count and a few other things. Probably get another round of antibiotics just to be safe. One of the side-effects of amoxicillin is diarrhea, so I might get another med. We'll see.

I expect to be back in the gym this weekend.

Focused70
01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
btw ... the (mostly) liquid diet I've been on has resulted in a net loss of 5.5 lbs. as of this morning. Blech.

Off Road
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I figured you might be down for the count. Take care of yourself.

SCmmaFAN
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Take care of yourself and come back when you are ready.

Focused70
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
So I got put on a different antibiotic. Azithromycin or something like that. And because I'm sick, no bloodwork done yesterday because it throws off my viral count and all my other numbers. There's a lot of chest congestion (god I hate hearing it) and coughing going on ... lots of sleep and liquids for the next week or so. Not sure about gym ... at this point I need to get this **** out of my system.

Weighed myself this morning, 165. I know it's just a numbers game at this point and things will come shooting back but it's a little depressing.

Anyway, later.

Focused70
02-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Sunday, February 6, 2011

Weight this morning was ... I dunno.

Skwatz

bar x7
65 x6
65 x6
75 x6

Assisted chins

Medium -- 13 x8, 12 x6
Neutral -- 12 x6

Deadlift

bar x8
95 x6
95 x?? -- wasn't counting but it was more than 5
105 x6

Calves

125 x8
150 x8
175 x8
175 x8

You really do turn senile after 40. Oy vey.

Just easing back into things. Felt exceptionally weak today but that could be because I haven't been eating correctly for over a month.

It will be hell this week as I'll be in the office until midnight tomorrow and possibly Tuesday so you're not going to see another session log until Wednesday.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm glad to see you back, even if you are just easing back into things.

Focused70
02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Big Daddy -- Thanks f00.

==========================
Sunday, February 13, 2010

Haven't been consistent this week ... I think I logged in something like 35 hours of overtime for the past two weeks. It's certainly taken a toll on my eating, my strength and sleep habits. And as was evident in today's session, it's a one step forward, two step back kind of deal.

That stupid cold was a speed bump so it's now time to get back on track.

Skwatz

bar x8
70 x6
70 x6
70 x6

Benchy

bar x6
70 x6
70 x6
70 x5*

* = spotted set

Assisted dips

Stage 12 x8
11 x6
11 x5

Deadz

bar x8
95 x5
115 x3
115 x3
135 x2
135 x2

And done.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
02-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Good to get back on track. Good luck.

Focused70
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Wednesday, February 16, 2010

Motivational poster of the day:

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/05/denial.jpg

Off Roadster: And a healthy dose of dead cow, too.

======================
I took an additional day to get rid of DOMS overload, which could have been from a combination of not lifting for a month, a mostly liquid diet for the majority of that time and not benching regularly.

Skwatz

bar x6
75 x5
75 x6
75 x5

Seated Press

45 x6
55 x6
55 x5

Assisted chins

stage 13 x8 -- medium
stage 11 x6 -- medium
stage 11 x6 -- neutral

*grumble*

Calves

150 x8 -- standing
175 x8 x3 -- standing
90 x6 - angled
140 x6x2 -- angled

Gonna hoover up some dead cow.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Saturday, February 19, 2010

Motivational poster of the day*

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/96/216474854_1ffc54fdeb.jpg

171.5 this morning

Skwatz

bar x6
75 x5
80 x5
80 x6

Benchy

bar x8
65 x6
75 x5
75 x5

Deadz

bar x8
95 x5
135 x3
135 x3 -- pause at the top for 2 seconds
145 x3 -- pause at the top for 2 seconds
145 x1 -- pause at the top for 1 second

Should be back to where I used to be before the cold within a week.

I find that pausing at the top on deadz also helps train grip.

Later,

Stash

*To get motivated, all I need to do is look in the mirror. I'm just indulging my inner geek.

Focused70
02-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Tuesday, February 22, 2010

Motivational poster of the day:

http://www.brookston.org/blog/wp-content/img/san-francisco.jpg

Skwatz

80 x6
80 x6
85 x6

Assisted dips

12 x8 -- wide
11 x8 -- wide
10 x6 -- wide

Assisted chins

These are teh suck.

12 x5 -- medium
11 x5 -- medium
11 x5 -- neutral

Calves -- standing

175 x8
175 x8
200 x8
200 x6
200 x7

Military press

bar x5
bar x5
bar x5

And done.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Friday, February 25, 2011

172-ish this morning. I have to seriously ramp up the calories.

Different order today b/c the squat racks were being used.

Benchy

bar x7
75 x5
75 x5*
80 x2*

* = spotted sets

I guess getting back on track was too much to hope for. :soapbox:

Assisted dips

11 x8 -- wide
10 x7 -- wide
10 x6 -- narrow

Skwatz

bar x8
85 x6
85 x6
85 x5

I should just grow a pair and slap on 95 next time.

Deadz

bar x8
95 x5
135 x4 -- overhand grip, pause for 1
155 x3 -- mixed grip, pause for 2
155 x3 -- mixed grip, pause for 1

Later,

Stash

Focused70
02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Sunday, February 27, 2011

Motivational picture of the day:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/5483250229_e9621d4fec.jpg

Pic taken on 2/18/2011. Weight's been in flux between 171.5 and 173 for the past few days.

===============================
Skwatz

bar x8
85 x6
95 x5
95 x5
1 set of box skwatz at 75 x6

Holy ****, that's heavy. I think I'll be working around 90-100 for the next week or so.

Overhead press

bar x8
bar x6
50 x5

Assisted chins

12 x8 -- medium. These were easy.
11 x6 -- medium. Not so easy.
10 x4 -- medium. Struggled.
10 x2 -- neutral. Ran out of gas.

Calves

Standing

175 x8
175 x8
200 x7
200 x8
225 x9

Angled:

90 x8
140 x8
140 x8
140 x10

It's a hole-in-the-wall gym but there's gotta be some kind of seated calf machine setup. Unless no one does seated calf work and I find that difficult to believe.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
03-20-2011, 04:10 PM
3/20/2011

Work has exploded in the past few weeks so my eating/lifting has gone out the window. This week is going to be hell. I can't make excuses though ... it's all on me.

Squats

85 x5
85 x6
85 x5

Assisted chins

11 x7 (medium, palms out) -- piece of cake.
10 x5 (medium) -- not as easy but still ok.
10 x5 (neutral) -- squeezed those out

Assisted dips

10 x6 -- wide
10 x7 -- wide
10 x6 -- narrow

Deadlifts

bar x8
115 x6 -- overhand. seems the 25s I was stacking were really 35s.
135 x4, pause for 2 -- overhand
135 x3, pause for 1 -- overhand
155 x3, pause for 1 -- mixed
160 x1, pause for 1 -- mixed

Later,

S.

Focused70
04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
4/1/11

Skwatz

bar x8
90 x5
90 x6

Benchy

bar x6
65 x5
70 x5
70 x5

Folks were occupying both squat racks and I didn't want to wait for one to be vacant so I'll just do deads on Sunday. I'm impatient.

Assisted dips

11 x7 -- wide
10 x7 -- wide
10 x6 -- narrow

Calves

150 x8
175 x8
200 x8
200 x8
200 x6

Been working several 15 hour days for the past two weeks and as usual, eating and sleep has gone to shit. But that project is 95% done so things will be more regular.

I hope.

It has to.

Stash

SCmmaFAN
04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Good to see you back.

Focused70
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
4/4/2011

Truncated lunch session today. With only two squat racks in the place (which are in high demand), I have to prioritize. If I can get to the gym early enough Wednesday morning or catch a breather middle of the day, I should be set.

Deadlifts

I wish I could do these every day. Just sayin'.

bar x8
115 x6 -- overhand.
135 x5 -- overhand.
165 x2 -- mixed. Grip slipped b/c of sweaty palms.
165 x3, -- mixed, pause for 2
165 x3 -- mixed, pause for 1
170 x1 -- mixed, pause for 1 (+5W)

Assisted chins

10 x6 -- medium
10 x6 -- neutral
10 x6 -- medium

Maybe I can get to 9? That would be a fucking miracle.

Hyperextensions

BW x12
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10

In other news, was 173 this morning. When I started this journal I set a weight goal of 180 by May 2011. Not bad considering a stupid cold yanked me off kilter for over a month and work exploded in the past few weeks. 173 at probably 25% bodyfat, but it's all good because it'll be a long long road before I feel confident enough to take my shirt off in public.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
4/7/2011

After this morning's dump ...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5598876108_c89f8e0853_o.jpg

I think my scale is broken. There's no way I gained 1.5 lbs, since Monday.

Lunchtime session today.

Flat bench

bar x8
75 x6
80 x6* (+5W)

* spotted set

Assisted dips

10 x8 -- wide
10 x6 -- wide
10 x6 -- narrow

These felt different because I went deeper than usual.

Military press

bar x5
bar x5

Cable rear delt extensions

5 x8
5 x6
7.5 x5

I'm moving away from Starting Strength (like I ever did that program as written ... I still don't know how to do a power clean) to a compound-centric routine something along these lines:

A -- squats, SLDL, calves
B -- flat bench, dips; military press or db press, lateral raises
C -- deadlift, chins or rows

Rinse and repeat. Might do shoulders on leg day, but am flexible otherwise.

On the other hand, work has exploded (which means more money in the bank), so I might be able to work with a trainer and finally learn how to do a power clean, as well as learn some other movements. We'll see.

Stash

Focused70
04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
4/9/2011

Squats

bar x8
70 x5
95 x6
95 x6

I'm trying for 100x5x2 next time out. Can't believe it's been almost 4 months since I last attempted that.

SLDLs

It's been a long time since I've done these so I went light, just to get the form down.

bar x8 -- slow and controlled
95 x6
95 x6

A couple of times I caught myself doing deads. Must correct that.

Calves

standing:

175 x8
200 x8
200 x7
225 x8
225 x7
225 x6

angled:

170 x8
170 x8
170 x6

And done.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
04-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I like the new routine. Looks good.

Focused70
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
4/12/2011

Big Daddy -- Thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words.

Off Roadster -- I like it too. I think it was time for a change, plus it's a little more well-rounded.

======================

Deadlifts

I just love to deadlift, LOL.

bar x8
95 x6 -- overhand
135 x5 -- overhand
165 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1
165 x3 -- mixed, pause for 1
175 x2 (+5W) -- mixed, pause for 1. Grip slipped b/c of sweaty palms, dammit; was supposed to be x3
175 x2 -- mixed, pause for 1.

Assisted chins

11 x6 -- medium
13 x6 -- neutral
13 x6 -- neutral
12 x5 -- neutral

I might have to do these first since deads take so much out of me.

Seated cable rows

55 x6
55 x6
55 x6

Have to remember to keep abs tight. I was spent at this point.

175.5 this morning. Hard to believe I've gained 24 lbs. over seven months. Plan is to continue bulking until I reach 200-ish, then make a decision from there.

I'm probably going to have to get new pants soon. Even though I'm eating clean, there's been some fat gain ... most noticeably in the abdomen and waist area.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Nice job on the deadlift session. Chinups or pullups are rough on deadlift days. Also, good job on the weight gain. You're averaging roughly a pound a week and that seems to be a good point for most people bulking.

Focused70
04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
4/15/2011

Big Daddy -- Thanks for the support. :)

Flat bench

bar x8
75 x8 (+2R)
80 x6*

* = spotted set

I'm thinking I'm going about this all wrong. I should probably do bar x8, 65 x5, then working sets. Ramp up on my CNS so that I don't feel worn out by the end of the 1st working set. Also have to keep abs tight.

Asst. dips

11 x8 -- wide
10 x8 -- wide (+2R)
10 x6 -- narrow

Calves -- standing

175 x8
200 x8
200 x8
200 x8

No shoulders today -- will do those Sunday. Still rethinking the routine based on this first week

A -- squat, SLDL, military press or some other shoulder press, rear cable extensions, lateral raises
B -- flat bench, asst. dips, asst. chins, calves
C -- deadlift, some rowing movement, ab shit

Progression remains the same. A, B, C, A, etc.

Weight this morning was ... I dunno.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
04-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Was the 80 and/or 75 your work set(s)? Your right that you might want to throw in another warm up set or two.

Focused70
04-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Both the 75 and 80 were my work sets.

Next week I want to see if I can do 80x5x2, or something like that. If I go from bar to 80, I'm pretty sure the 2nd set of 80 won't be pretty. Especially since my upper body strength is practically nonexistent. For reference sake, my bench is slightly under half of my max deadlift.

SCmmaFAN
04-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I always try to do at least 3-4 warm up sets for my main lift of the day. I might would try something like this for your warm up sets:

Bar x 5
Bar x 5
55 x 3
65 x 1

Work sets at 75-80 pounds.

Of course, you don't want the warm up sets to wear you out and affect the working sets. If this is too much then I'd drop the first warm up set.

Focused70
04-22-2011, 08:24 PM
4/22/2011

Big Daddy -- thanks for the advice, and I concur.

==================
So I've been working a lot again ... bah.

Squats

bar x8
70 x6
100 x5 (+5W)
100 x5

I don't know what changed but 100 didn't feel heavy against my shoulders. I mean, it didn't feel as heavy as it did before. It's not featherweight but I'm no longer suffering from "sticker-shock".

I think I should probably do something like

bar x8
65 x3
85 x3
work sets

I'm going to try to get to 100 x8 before adding weight.

SLDL

bar x8
95 x6
115 x6 (+20W)
115 x8

Calves

175 x8
200 x8
200 x8
225 x8
225 x7
225 x7

I could probably go up to 250. I keep forgetting.

There simply has to be a seated calf press setup. I wonder what people do for those, because the angled calf raise thingamajig isn't working for me.

Weight was 175 this morning.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
4/25/2011

Took an extra day off to give my legs a rest. Hams are a little tight ... have to look into stretching in the morning.

Flat bench

bar x8
65 x7
80 x5
80 x6* (+1R)

* = spotted set

I feel great. Now I'm wondering if I could've done 85.

Asst. dips

10 x7 -- wide
9 x6 -- wide
9 x6 -- wide

Seated press

50 x7
50 x6
55 x6

Rear delt cable extensions

5 x8
7.5 x6
7.5 x6

And done.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
It was probably a good call to take an extra day of rest. Good job on the benching and don't worry about 85 because it will still be there waiting for you next time.

Off Road
04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
You'll get 85 next week.

Focused70
04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
4/27/2011 -- wherein the hobbit feels fat even though the mirror tells him he isn't. or maybe that's my waistline talking?

Big Daddy -- Oh, I'm sure it will.

Off Roadster -- Where you been, f00?

======================
Deadlifts

bar x8
95 x6 -- overhand
135 x5 -- overhand
165 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1
175 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1 (+3R)
175 x4 -- mixed, pause for 1

Going for 180 next time.

Asst. chins

11 x5 -- medium
11 x5 -- medium
10 x3 -- medium
14 x2 -- wide. Wasn't happening.
11 x5 -- neutral
10 x5 -- neutral

I think I could go for 10/9 if I could just remember to look at this journal before heading to the gym. Or start bringing a notebook.

Seated cable rows

55 x6
55 x6
75 x5 (+20W)

And done.

Legs on Friday. I'm starting to like squats. Not as much as deadlifts though ... those will always remain my first love.

Later,

Stash

cphafner
04-27-2011, 09:25 PM
nice deads Soba!

Focused70
05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
5/2/2011

Conor -- Trying to think of a nickname for you is hard. Also thanks for the support. :)

Squats

bar x8
65 x3
85 x3
100 x6 (+1R)
100 x6

SLDL

bar x8
95 x6
115 x8
115 x7
120 x6 (+5W)

Calves -- standing

150 x8
175 x8
200 x8
250 x6
250 x6

Military press

bar x8 -- easy
50 x6 -- not so easy
50 x6 -- had to work for that

I'm thinking that's probably one too many sets. Also I have a tendency to swing at the bottom of the lift ... gotta stop that.

If I don't get my shoulders up, my bench will never go up. And I'd dearly love to get my bench OVER 100 lbs. this year.

Cable rear delt ext.

7.5 x8 (+2R)
7.5 x7

And done.

Weight was 177-ish this morning.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
5/5/2011

I might be putting in an order for ETS soon. This hobbit ain't a spring chicken any more. Took a day off b/c legs were a little tight, though I wonder if that could be attributable to not enough water and sleep.

Anyway.

There's a reason why I'm not a morning person, although I'm going to have to seriously consider lifting in the am. Gym was blessedly deserted a couple of hours ago.

Flat bench

bar x8
65 x3
85 x5 (+5W)
85 x5*

* = spotted set

Asst. dips -- all wide

10 x6
10 x6
9 x6

Asst. chins

10 x5 (-1 stage) -- medium
10 x4 -- medium
9 x5 -- neutral
9 x5 -- neutral
13 x3 -- wide. Wasn't happening.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/5690465778_1302ce4e19_o.jpg

Weigh-in as of this morning.

And done.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
05-07-2011, 01:01 PM
5/7/2011

Weight down to 175.5 this morning. I really think my scale is broken ... although getfit says the 179 from the other day was probably water retention. *sigh*

Deadlifts

bar x8
95 x6 -- overhand
135 x4 -- overhand, pause for 1
155 x4 -- overhand, pause for 1
185 x4 (+10W) -- overhand
185 x5 -- mixed
185 x5 -- mixed
135 x8 (speed set) -- overhand

I had initially planned to attempt 200 x1 after my work sets but decided instead to finish with a speed set. There'll be time enough for heavy singles later.

Lat pull-downs

70 x8
80 x8
80 x7

80 seems like a good base to start from. Haven't done these in a long-ass time.

Seated cable rows

55 x7
75 x6
75 x6

Stretching

And done.

Wannabe Palaver

Some couple checked out my gym today and bought a week membership. And naturally, the guy starts doing barbell curls in the squat rack. :swear: Then proceeds to do barbell shrugs at 2 pps. I wanted to ask him if I was supposed to be impressed but kept my mouth shut. Then, as I was getting my shake, they signed up for a year ... so on the one hand, it's good they became members ... on the other hand, I'll be seeing more of the same. YAY!!!

Random shit

_BsTF22SPyM was running though my head this morning

Later,

Stash

f=ma
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
nice lifting man. if i recall correctly, it looks your deads have made some great progress over the last 2 months or so

Off Road
05-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Yikes...more man feet.

Keep up the good work. I hate morning lifting.

Focused70
05-09-2011, 03:02 PM
nice lifting man. if i recall correctly, it looks your deads have made some great progress over the last 2 months or so

Thanks.

You could say I'm built to deadlift, lol. I've got these long chimpanzee-like arms and equally long legs. Squatting and benching are a bitch so I'm glad I'm good at something.

Also, back is sore but in a good way. I hadn't been doing lat pull-downs in a long while and those hit my upper back in a way that chins haven't. While I won't be doing them regularly, they'll go in my bag of tricks.

T-bar rows are also another idea, come to think of it.

Focused70
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Yikes...more man feet.

Keep up the good work. I hate morning lifting.

Man feet > hobbit feet.

Morning lifting makes me sleepy but it's the only way I' can avoid the crowds. Forget evening lifting ... the gym is packed with people and I don't want to have to wait. I'm impatient like that.

Lunchtime workouts are my other solution but I can't count on those with any sort of regularity.

Focused70
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Calories are going to be on the low side today. :soapbox:

I spent 5 hours in the NYC Dept. of Finance's tax map unit in Queens today doing research for a bunch of lawyers at work.

So far I've had:

a Nitrean shake
a banana
lots of water, probably half a gallon's worth
two burritos with pulled pork, rice, beans and the works
a side of maduros (sweet plantains to you gringos)

I probably lost a couple of pounds already. :soapbox: soapbox: I normally have eaten way more than that by this time on any given day. :soapbox: Oy vey.

Focused70
05-09-2011, 04:31 PM
A pic update.

As you can see, there's been some improvements since the last go-round but I have a very long way to go. I figure 20% BF, not that it matters.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2152/5704619769_67da8832b4_o.jpg
Left was September 2010 @ 152 lbs., right was May 4, 2011 @ 178-ish.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/5704619961_8c2bb536f7_o.jpg
December 2010 @ somewhere around 167

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/5705186512_8cb24e9e0f_o.jpg
May 4, 2011 @ 178.

Yes, I'm skinny-fat. Shut up. I'm also fishing for comments, can't you tell?

chevelle2291
05-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Holy shit you do have hobbit feet!

Don't be too hard on yourself man. You are facing way more of a challenge than the vast majority of this site will ever know. Your progress is good man. Legs are looking thicker also.

Off Road
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Progress.

GazzyG
05-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Hey mate. Signing up to follow your progress. Just had a flick though - good stuff, keep it up!

cphafner
05-10-2011, 08:14 AM
nice job on those 185 deads Soba.

Focused70
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
5/10/2011

Chevy -- Thanks man. I attribute the increased leg size partially to Starting Strength and eating.

Off Roadster -- If only it were faster.

Gazzy -- Thanks guy.

Conor -- 2 pps is only 40 measly pounds away!

=============================
So leg and shoulder day today.

Squats

bar x8
70 x3
95 x3
105 x5 (+5W)
105 x5

SLDL

bar x8
95 x5
115 x6
125 x5 (+5W)
125 x5

Calves -- standing

200 x8
225 x7
250 x6
250 x6

RC work

Military press

bar x6
55 x6 (+5W)
55 x6

You mean to tell me in the entire gym there's only 1 set of 2.5 lb. plates? Couldn't find the other plate so I just settled for 55. It was a blessing in disguise actually.

Cable rear delt ext.

7.5 x8
7.5 x8
7.5 x6

Forgot to do lateral raises. I'll sub those in on Thursday.

Weight was somewhere between 176 and 177 this morning.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Throw those 2.5s away, it's obvious you don't need them :)

Chubrock
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
We need more food porn Stash...

Focused70
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Well, this was dinner last night ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/5705579585_610349d7d0_o.jpg

Aren't you sorry you asked now? :p

SCmmaFAN
05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
The food looks good to me. I love asparagus too! What type of fish is that? The serving size looks to small for me. HAHA

cphafner
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
damn looks good

Focused70
05-10-2011, 07:39 PM
The food looks good to me. I love asparagus too! What type of fish is that? The serving size looks to small for me. HAHA

It's broiled flounder, with lemon-shallot vinaigrette. Pan-fried fingerling potatoes and asparagus. Don't be fooled, it's not low-calorie at all. There's probably 2 tablespoons butter lurking in the potatoes and about as many tablespoons olive oil with the flounder. An easy 950 calories.

That picture was just the money shot. I ate 1 fillet of flounder (double the quantity pictured) in addition to the veggies.

Focused70
05-13-2011, 06:01 PM
5/13/2011

Off Roadster -- I'm such a little girly hobbit sometimes.

Flat bench

bar x8
70 x4
85 x6 (+1R)
85 x6*

Third set mostly unassisted. I'll be shooting for either 85x2x8 or 90 next time out.

Asst. dips

Remember, lower numbers equals more bodyweight used.

9 x7 -- wide
8 x6 -- narrow
8 x6 -- wide

Asst. pull-ups

Lower numbers equals more bodyweight used.
I'm probably going to concentrate on wide-grip pull-ups for the next few weeks.

13 x7 -- wide
13 x7 -- wide
13 x6 -- wide

DB Lateral raises

8 x6
8 x6
8 x6

I had wanted to do incline bench today but it was occupied by two bench jockeys the entire time I was there. :soapbox: Nice kick in the nads. Morning sessions it's going to have to be.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
05-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Hit the 90 lbs dude!
Show them bench jockeys what you're made of :)

Focused70
05-15-2011, 03:20 PM
5/15/2011

Off Roadster -- Would that be first breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, supper, tea and dinner?

Meh effort today.

Deadlifts

bar x8
95 x5 -- overhand
135 x5 -- overhand, pause for 2
155 x3 -- overhand, pause for 1
185 x2 -- overhand. Oy vey.
185 x3 -- mixed
185 x3 -- mixed

I might have to start doing static holds or something.

Lat pull-downs

80 x8
90 x7 (+10W)
90 x7

Seated cable rows

55 x10 (+2R)
75 x8
75 x7

Hyperextensions

BW x8
BW x10

Ab shit
Stretching

And done.

Heads = steak for dinner
Tails = pork chops

Flip a coin?

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Pork Chops!

My reason is because everyone talks about eating lean steak and chicken breasts on WBB.

Off Road
05-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Nice on the deads, especially with the overhand.
So, steak or chops? I had chicken :(

Focused70
05-17-2011, 01:50 PM
5/17/2011

Big Daddy/Off Roadster -- I decided on calf's liver ... with fried onions, rice, spinach, matzo ball soup and a humongous slice of lemon meringue pie. Maybe steak tonight though. :p

I swear, I haven't eaten as much red meat EVER in my entire life since I started lifting again last year.

Squats

bar x8
75 x4
105 x5
105 x5
110 x5 (+5W)

I'm in uncharted territory .... as I don't think I've ever gotten 110 before. I'm all essited.

SLDL

bar x8
95 x5
125 x6
125 x6
125 x7 (+2R)

Calves -- standing

175 x8
200 x8
200 x8
225 x7

RC work

Military press

55 x6
55 x6
60 x5 (+5W)

This is also the heaviest I've gotten on millies.

Alternate db lateral raises

8 x8
8 x8
8 x6

Cable rear delt ext.

7.5 x8
7.5 x6

And done.

Weight was 179.5 this morning.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

Brought back by popular demand (y'all can blame Chubrock).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/3622039005_8ea873c6a1_o.jpg
Strawberries at Union Square Greenmarket.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
That was a good session! Also, I enjoy the food pron. Do you take the pictures yourself?

Focused70
05-17-2011, 08:31 PM
That was a good session! Also, I enjoy the food pron. Do you take the pictures yourself?

Thanks. :) I can usually tell how things are gonna go just by the warmups.

All of the food pr0n is shot by me. Amateur food photographer here.

chevelle2291
05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Squats are on their way up Focus!

Off Road
05-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd be essited too...good squatting.

Chubrock
05-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice job Soba! Glad to see some food porn making it back in here as well.

Focused70
05-20-2011, 12:11 PM
5/20/2011

Chevy -- Great feeling but 1 pps still looks daunting.

Off Roadster -- woohoo!

Chubby -- folks are gonna wonder about my old nickname. :p and thanks.

========================
Wherein we find out that the gym can be a strange planet full of weird creatures

Deadlifts

Deadlifts

bar x8
115 x5 -- overhand
135 x3 -- overhand, pause for 2
185 x3 -- overhand. pause for 1
195 x3 (+10W) -- mixed
195 x3 -- mixed
195 x2 -- overhand
135 x10 -- speed set, overhand

One too many sets but I'll live.

Also, I realize I could probably pull 225 x1 but that's not my focus right now. My max from a few years ago was 245x1 but I'm afraid that my form could've used a little ... no, a lot of work. I want to be sure that when I do get up to BIG BOY weights (defined as 2 pps or more), that it's not a fluke. I'm deathly fearful of something going wrong, especially when I read about people fucking up their lower back.

And 2 pps is only 30 measly pounds away.

The reason why I pause a lot at the top of the lift and do so much overhand work is so I can develop some forearm and grip strength. I don't have the luxury of doing farmer's walks since space is limited.

Lat pulldowns

90 x8
100 x6 (+10W)
100 x6

I was amazed at how easy 90 felt.

Asst. pullups

12 x2 -- wide. Not happening.
12 x6 -- neutral
10 x6 -- neutral
11 x5 -- medium

Dear Santa,

If the world doesn't end tomorrow, can you please make the people who bench 2 pps or more not make weird noises when they lift? Because it sounds like they're giving birth half the time. A pregnant man is not good to look at.

Your favorite hobbit,

Focused

Later,

Stash

Off Road
05-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Good attitude on the pulls. You'll get there soon enough. Keep the good form.

Focused70
05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
5/22/2011

Off Roadster -- Soon, with a capital "S", "O, "O" and "N".

Wherein the hobbit finds out that his bench form needs work ...

Flat bench

bar x8
70 x4
90 x5 (+5W)
90 x6*
90 x5*

* = spotted set.

Notes:

1. I need to concentrate on pressing the bar up in a straight line.
2. I need to concentrate on keeping the weight evenly distributed when I press it up. Right now, my right side "twists" the weight to the side. I don't know what to do, apart from having people spot me every set ... an impossibility. I'm thinking that I should either work with a trainer or failing that, sub in dumbbell presses.

3rd set was better though, form-wise.

I found out that the bar should ideally be "on the heel of my hands". Didn't know that.

BTW, I had to fight for every rep of that third set, especially the last three.

Incline bench

bar x8
50 x7
50 x8

Asst. dips

9 x8 -- wide
8 x6 -- wide

8 x8 -- narrow
8 x7 -- narrow

And done.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2972607814_244f7ea64c_o.jpg
Indian corn.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Fighting for reps is good stuff.
My bench form blows too. Just keep pushing.

SCmmaFAN
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm sure my bench form is not optimal either. I think that's how I aggravated my shoulder because I have a tendency to "twist" one side on a tough rep. I watched some videos from Scott Abel on YouTube and it has helped me a lot.

Scott Abel's YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/scottabelcoaching)

Another Video to watch:

More Benching (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcjOIZc80c)

Focused70
05-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Bookmarked, thanks guy.

The setup and arch thing and elbow rotation, I've never gotten down pat. It's clear I have homework to do.

S.

Focused70
05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm sure my bench form is not optimal either. I think that's how I aggravated my shoulder because I have a tendency to "twist" one side on a tough rep. I watched some videos from Scott Abel on YouTube and it has helped me a lot.

Scott Abel's YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/scottabelcoaching)

Another Video to watch:

More Benching (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcjOIZc80c)

Does it matter which style? I don't think I've ever seen anyone bench with their feet on the bench.

I had to watch the second vid a few times to get the elbow correction thing down pat. I think I "get" it now; I just need to execute it. My main issue is that I learn best by doing and a vid doesn't really translate well once I'm in the gym.

More of a memo to myself: http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/features/so-you-think-you-can-bench-get-the-whole-series-here/

Focused70
05-27-2011, 09:05 PM
5/27/2011
Wherein the hobbit plays catchup...

Squats

bar x8
75 x4
95 x4
115 x5 (+5W)
115 x5
95 x6

Deloaded to 95 because I wasn't satisfied with the depth on the second set.

SLDLs

bar x8
95 x6
125 x6
125 x6
125 x5

Practically a repeat of last week. Bleh.

Calves -- standing

150 x8 -- pause for 4
150 x8 -- pause for 4
175 x8 -- pause for 4
200 x8 -- pause for 4
225 x8 -- pause for 3

RC work

Military press

55 x5
60 x2 ... FAIL
55 x5

Alternate db lateral raises

10 x8 (+2W)
10 x8
10 x6

Cable rear delt ext.

7.5 x8
10 x6 (+2.5W)

Ab shit
Stretching

And done.

Some asshole who had his iPod on high volume shoved the curtain aside as I was taking a shower. SRSLY. I'm teh gay and I don't even do that.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
05-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Does it matter which style? I don't think I've ever seen anyone bench with their feet on the bench.

I had to watch the second vid a few times to get the elbow correction thing down pat. I think I "get" it now; I just need to execute it. My main issue is that I learn best by doing and a vid doesn't really translate well once I'm in the gym.

More of a memo to myself: http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/features/so-you-think-you-can-bench-get-the-whole-series-here/

I must have missed this...sorry. I've never seen anyone use the BB style of benching but I don't exactly get out much. I use the powerlift style of bench without the super arch. I just don't have the flexibility yet.

SCmmaFAN
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
...clipped....

Some asshole who had his iPod on high volume shoved the curtain aside as I was taking a shower. SRSLY. I'm teh gay and I don't even do that.

Later,

Stash

That's crazy! I don't know how I would have reacted but it wouldn't have been positive.

Off Road
05-28-2011, 08:02 AM
That would be uncomfortable. Kind of like the guys that just have to check out your junk when at the urinals. Seriously creepy.

Focused70
05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
5/30/2011
In which the hobbit struggles on bench on the third set ...

Big Daddy -- I finally figured out form, but I still need to be taught to press it in a straight line. My problem is I really don't know unless someone's watching and correcting. And I don't want to have to hire a PT (because rates are going up) when I have WBB's collected wisdom for free.

I need to work on an arch. I think I had it today but my fear is that it was barely an arch. It'll be a while before I go heavier so I have plenty of time to work on that.

Big Daddy -- I'd have thought a closed curtain with a TOWEL hanging over the bar would've been enough to clue him in.

Off Roadster -- If I wasn't covered in soap, well ... I don't know what I'd have done.

Flat bench

Flat bench

bar x8
65 x5
85 x5
85 x5
90 x4*

* = spotted set

I struggled on the last two reps of the third set. BUT! A difference from last time was that I don't recall "twisting" the bar on my right side.

I have to figure out how to take a vid using my digicam so maybe y'all can play poke the hobbit when he benches.

Asst. pullups

Lower numbers = more bodyweight used.

12 x7 -- wide.
12 x6 -- wide
11 x4 -- wide (-1 stage)
14 x7 -- wide

Asst. dips

8 x8 -- wide
7 x6 -- wide
7 x6 -- narrow

And done, because the gym closed early.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3298/5773608279_71ae9d6a8b_o.jpg

Weight is somewhere between 180 and 181.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
6/7/2011
Wherein the hobbit wishes there was a cure for sweaty palms....

Spent a week on Fire Island. That was a nice vacation ... close enough to the City but not so far away.

Rack pulls

bar x8
95 x6
135 x6 -- overhand, pause for 1
155 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1
185 x3 -- overhand, pause for 1
205 x2 (+10W) -- overhand, pause for 1
205 x1, 1, 1, 1 -- overhand

Grip kept slipping b/c of sweaty palms. *sigh*

Asst. pullups

12 x6 -- wide.
11 x5 -- wide
11 x4 -- wide
11 x3 -- wide

Lat pulldowns

100 x7
100 x6
100 x6

Swiss ball ab shit
Stretching

And done.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Nice pulling.

Focused70
06-11-2011, 03:23 PM
6/11/2011
Wherein the hobbit learns that people will steal towels given motivation ...

Off Roadster -- Thanks mang.

Squats

bar x8
75 x4
95 x4
115 x6 (+1R)
115 x6

Kind of in a holding pattern. Hm....

SLDLs

bar x8
95 x6
125 x6
135 x6 (+10W)
135 x6

Calves -- standing

175 x8, pause for 2
175 x8, pause for 2
200 x7, pause for 2
200 x8, pause for 2
225 x6, pause for 1

Calves -- sitting

135 x8
155 x8, pause for 1
185 x10, pause for 1
205 x10, pause for 1 (+20W)

Seated dumbbell press

First time doing these, btw.

10 x8
25 x6
25 x6
25 x6

Alternate dumbbell lateral raises

12 x6 (+2W)
12 x8
12 x8

Cable rear delt ext.

7.5 x8
10 x6 (+2.5W)
10 x6

RC shit
Stretching

And done.

So, apparently my gym is experiencing people who STEAL towels. I mean, REALLY? You really have to steal sweat-filled, crotch-stinky, crusty, nasty towels? Srsly people? Give me a fucking break. Now, whenever you rent a towel for $2, you have to leave your ID up front.

Un-fucking-believable.

And another thing. Mr. Student studying his calculus in the locker room ... do it somewhere else, mmkay? So when I need to use a stool to set my clothes and shit, I don't wanna have to trip over your school books.

I swear, the weekend is when the freaks come out.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
6/19/2011

On my way to work Monday, I had a charley horse (?) or something going on with my right hamstring. So been taking it easy the past few days.

Flat bench

bar x8
70 x4
90 x5
90 x5*

* = spotted set

Someone once said that flat bench is really a full body exercise. He wasn't kidding.

Cybex chest press

It's one of those machines where you load up with barbell plates.

95 x7
105 x6
105 x6

Asst. dips

10 x8 -- wide
10 x7 -- narrow
9 x7 -- narrow

Speed squats

bar x15
65 x12
65 x12

And done.

Later,

Stashpoo

Off Road
06-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Wondered where you been.
Nice benching session with all the assistance lifts.

Focused70
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
6/22/2011
Wherein the hobbit asks on Facebook deads or squats and is told to do both...

Off Roadster -- Thanks for the support. :)

Speed squats

I'm thinking 120 on normal squats could be a real possibility later in the week.

bar x10
75 x8
95 x8
95 x7

Deadlifts

95 x6
135 x4 -- overhand, pause for 2
205 x1 -- overhand, FAIL
205 x2 -- mixed, pause for 1
205 x2 -- mixed
210 x1 (+5W)

Asst. pullups

12 x5 -- wide
12 x6 -- wide
10 x6 -- neutral
10 x3 -- neutral

Calves -- standing

Taking a page from Conor and Ron Harris (I subscribe to his blog)

150 x7 -- 8 count
150 x8 -- 8 count
175 x7 -- 8 count
175 x6 -- 7 count

Calories have been lower than normal the past couple of days but at least weight is holding steady at around 180-ish.

Later,

Stash

cphafner
06-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Nice workout. Taking your calf cadence from me? Try a 15 hold at the bottom. Will make your calvess feel like they are going to rip thru the skin. I do half the weight of most nut my calves have come up I laugh now when I see people with little calves with 3 or 4 plates on the seated calf machine

SCmmaFAN
06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Good job! It looks like you are crossing over the 200# threshold on deadlifting. Have you ever lifted over 200# before?

Off Road
06-23-2011, 07:28 AM
210 x 1...congrats Hobbit.

Focused70
06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Conor -- It's something I did a while ago. If you look back on my old journal, Pup recommends a stretch at the bottom for a 10-count. I'm working my way up to that. Never did a 15-count before though. And I agree on the light weights.

Big Daddy -- my max from several years ago was 245x1. I have a feeling my form was atrocious though. I'm pretty confident I can do 225x1 but I'm not rushing it.

Off Roadster -- RAWR!

Tomorrow I'll be attempting 120 on normal squats. It would be a real confidence booster if it happens. 1 pps still looks daunting.

Focused70
06-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Took a progress pic this morning. The mirror does not lie ... I'm painfully skinny. Oy vey.

GazzyG
06-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Good work with the PRs Focused!

Focused70
06-25-2011, 04:00 PM
6/25/2011
In which the hobbit laments that he can take pix of delicious food but he can't take a bod pic for shit

Gazzy -- Thanks for the support. :)

=======================
Squats

bar x8
75 x5
95 x5
115 x5
120 x5 (+5W)
105 x7

Have to work on depth some more but at least I have 120.

1 pps makes me nervous.

SLDLs

95 x8
115 x6
135 x8
135 x9 (+3R)

Calves

Standing

150 x6 -- 10 count
150 x6 -- 10 count
175 x7 -- 10 count
175 x8 -- 8 count

Sitting

135 x6 -- 10 count
135 x6 -- 10 count
155 x6 -- 10 count
175 x6 -- 8 count

Seated db presses

20 x6
25 x8 (+2R)
25 x7

Asst. pullups

13 x7
12 x6

Cable rear delt ext.

10 x8 (+2R)
10 x8
10 x6

RC stuff
Ab stuff

And that's it.

Oh, the pic? It's languishing on my hard drive. I feel fat. Skinny-fat. :(

I'll post something in a few months when I have pictures-worthy progress.

Stash

Focused70
06-25-2011, 04:02 PM
And can I say that I feel REALLY REALLY fucking inadequate when a pair of jacked mofos in the squat rack next to me were (1) squatting to parallel 3 pps and (2) doing straddle deadlits at 3 pps.

*sigh*

Focused70
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
6/29/2011
Wherein the hobbit confesses to eating a Big Mac

Deadlifts

bar x10
135 x8 -- overhand, pause for 2
155 x5, 5 -- overhand, pause for 1
185 x5, 3 -- overhand, pause for 1
205 x3, 3 -- overhand
215 x2, 2 -- overhand (+10W)
135 x6

Lat pulldowns

90 x8
90 x8
100 x7

Asst. pullups

12 x3 -- wide. not happening.
14 x5 -- wide
14 x8 -- neutral
14 x8 -- neutral

Doing pullups after deads is always a challenge, and if done as my 3rd movement, then it's a miracle if I get it. Lately though, I've been doing them twice a week ... usually on back and chest days.

In other news ...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5268/5886217565_9b6f9256e9_o.jpg

Finally broke the 181 barrier (pic taken a couple days ago after my morning dumpage). I've been eating mostly cleanly for the past 10 months, except for occasional break-downs like Sunday afternoon. Scarfed a Big Mac and two bacon double-cheeseburgers. Damn tasty.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Wherein the hobbit eats a Big Mac, gains weight, and pulls a good deadlift.
Sounds like you need more Big Macs :)

Focused70
07-01-2011, 05:05 PM
7/1/2011
Wherein the hobbit is sick of being a weakling on bench...

Off Roadster -- Maybe, but the last time I OD'ed on McDonald's, my waist size exploded. I'm trying to minimize that this time.

Flat bench

bar x10
70 x4
95 x5 (+5W)
95 x4* :soapbox:
75 x5

* = spotted set

I ran out of gas on the 4th rep. And my spotter was smirking. :soapbox: But I got to 95 so I'm kind of glad.

Cybex chest thingie

95 x8
105 x8 (+2R)
105 x7

Asst. dips

10 x6, 6 -- wide
13 x8 -- narrow

Asst. pullups

This (esp. the neutral grip pullups) and deads are pretty much the extent of my direct arm work. I might start doing cable curls or some other type of curl bullshit eventually. Arm size is not a priority right now, but if you told me that bigger arms lead to better bench pressing, I might reconsider.

13 x6 -- wide
12 x7 -- neutral

Tricep pulldowns

First time doing these in a very long while. Just establishing a baseline here.

60 x8, 8
70 x7

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

So it's been a while, right?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2666/5851192366_2be33ede19_o.jpg

I thought you'd like that.

Later,

Stash

SCmmaFAN
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
With your food pr0n I can't concentrate on reading your lifting numbers. :)

Off Road
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
With your food pr0n I can't concentrate on reading your lifting numbers. :)It's the man feet that throw me off :evillaugh:

Focused70
07-08-2011, 09:18 PM
7/8/2011
Wherein the hobbit moves up a notch...

Big Daddy -- that's the intended effect. :p

Off Roadster -- they're hairless hobbit feet. :spam:

========================
Deadlifts

bar x10
95 x6
135 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1
205 x3 -- overhand, pause for 1
225 x1, 1 (+10W) -- mixed
185 x3 -- overhand
135 x7 -- overhand

Asst. pullups

11 x5 -- wide
11 x5 (+2R) -- wide
11 x3 -- wide
12 x5 -- neutral

Seated cable rows

55 x8
55 x7
75 x6

Ab stuff

Might look into doing static holds and farmer's walks now that I've gotten 2 pps. Me likey grip work.

And done.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
7/11/2011
Wherein the hobbit takes one step forward and two steps back...

Ok, not really. But it feels like it sometimes.

Squats

bar x10
75 x5
95 x6
105x8
105 x7

Oy vey. Just felt really weak today. :moon:
If anything, now I want to go squat some more, because I know I can push it; I just have to step up and do it.

I'm thinking I should do bar, 95, 115-120 so I don't blow my wad early. Or is one too few warmup sets?

SLDLs

bar x8
95 x8
115 x8
115 x7

I haven't been keeping my core as tight as it could be on this movement so rather than do it incorrectly, I went lighter. Which also ramped up the difficulty.

Leg curl machine thingie

Maybe I'm a glutton for not being able to walk?

45 x7
45 x8
45 x8

Calves -- standing

150 x8 -- 8 count
175 x8 -- 8 count
175 x8 -- 10 count
200 x6 -- 8 count

Seated db presses

25 x8
25 x7
25 x5

Asst. pullups

11 x6 -- wide
10 x7 -- neutral (+1R)

Could probably move up a stage for both positions.

Alt. db lateral raises

10 x8
12 x6
12 x6

Cable rear delt ext.

10 x7
10 x6

And done.

Overall, a weak ass session. 0/10.

Bench (blech) day on Wednesday, then I'm going to squat till the cows come home on Friday.

Stash

Off Road
07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm going to squat till the cows come home on Friday.
Do That!

SCmmaFAN
07-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Bad days happens to all of us. Just forget it and move on. That's the beautiful thing about lifting....there's always next time. :)

Focused70
07-13-2011, 03:10 PM
7/13/2011
Wherein the hobbit posts a pic update...

Off Roadster -- I may even lift in the early morning. *gasp* That almost never happens but I really want it so I'll move mountains to get to where I want to be.

Big Daddy -- I hope so.

Flat bench

Not a good session.

bar x8
75 x6
85 x5
95 x3* -- FAIL

* spotted set

I won't count the first two reps of the last set where my spotter lifted the weight up for me. Kind of ran out of gas quickly.

I have to figure out what's not working here. Could be the warmup schema or that my shoulders really suck, or that I'm just lacking in strength. Isaac says I should try doing 20 pushups before attempting bench. What I might end up doing is pushups on a daily basis, and subbing in db presses at some point. I'll give this another whirl next week and see what happens next.

I can do 7 the last time I checked so it's not a complete loss. Seven not very perfect pushups though, to be clear.

My right side is still a weakness because I can still feel the imbalance especially when I press the weight up. The 95 was supposed to have been my second set but ended up being my third. *grumble*

Cybex chest press

105 x8
105 x8
105 x6

Asst. dips

11 x7, 6 -- wide
11 x8, 7 -- narrow

Calves -- sitting

150 x8, 8 -- 8 count
175 x8, 8 -- 8 count

Ab stuff

And done.

Hobbit Bod Pr0nography

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5933083059_c45d97f032_o.jpg

Pic on the left was taken Monday evening. I'm slightly under 182 in that pic, at probably 20-ish% BF.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6145/5933083141_361b9c0e3d_o.jpg

Leg shot, same time range.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/5933083001_d8af149c8e_o.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/5933083101_53ac8e8d25_o.jpg

Just so you have a sense of what things looked like at the beginning of this journal. The real work began a few weeks ago once I got to 180.

Friday can't come soon enough.

Later,

Stash

Off Road
07-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Have you ever tried ultra-abreviated training?

Focused70
07-14-2011, 08:17 AM
What's that? For the lazy googler in all of us.

Off Road
07-14-2011, 08:38 AM
What's that? For the lazy googler in all of us.

It's a focus on the most important and result producing lifts...only. Many people have made remarkable progress with it. This is very low volume, but with the low volume you can and should be training at maximum intensity. Working super hard on a few exercises will overcome any sticking points and put on size and increase power. An example:

Day One (monday?):
Squats
Bench Press

Day Two (thursday?):
Deadlifts
Overhead Press

Focused70
07-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Have to think about that.

It occurs to me too that part of the reason for the crappy bench session was not enough calories. I've always sucked on bench, and it's not a matter of not pushing hard either. What usually happens is I begin to run out of steam after the first set. If I'm lucky, I can make it through the second set unassisted. God help me if I try to bench without a spotter on the third set.

I have to look into training bench. I don't have the link for my old journal but I do recall struggling for several months just to get to 100.

Focused70
07-16-2011, 12:34 AM
7/16/2011
Wherein the hobbit has a good session and has some dead cow for dinner...

Skwatz

bar x10
95 x7
115 x6
120 x6, 5

Much better, and now my legs are feeling it. Slowly working up to 1 pps.

SLDLs

bar x8
95 x7
135 x7, 6

Calves -- sitting

135 x8 -- 6 count
155 x8, 8 -- 5 count
175 x8 -- 5 count

Military press

bar x7
55 x6, 6

Have to stop cheating.

Asst. pullups

10 x4 -- wide
11 x5 -- wide
10 x6, 5 -- neutral

Finally moved up a stage!

Had some dead cow (a/k/a 12 oz. steak with fried onions, rice and spinach) as a neato reward.

Later,

Stash

Focused70
07-22-2011, 09:09 PM
7/22/2011

Been dealing with a migraine for most of this week. I get them quite regularly -- this most recent episode shut me down for several days. Although unlike Michele Bachmann, I'm a man and a Democrat.

Weak joke, lol.

Anyway, sort of all right workout. Didn't go heavy on deads, just concentrated on form and a x5 rep schema.

Deadlifts

bar x10
135 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1
155 x5 -- overhand, pause for 1
185 x5, 5, 5 -- overhand x2, mixed x1
135 x7 -- overhand

Last week when I did the 225, someone told me that I wasn't dragging the bar close enough to my shins. He was right.

Asst. pullups

11 x5 -- wide
10 x5 -- wide (+1R)
10 x5, 5 -- neutral

Asst. dips -- all narrow

12 x8
11 x8
10 x8

Lat pulldowns

70 x8
80 x8, 7

And done.