PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

Mike S
09-20-2010, 10:05 PM
I weigh 212 pounds. I am attempting to cut back down to 185 - 195. I'm not completely sure how many calories I should be getting approximately each day. I know I need around 200 grams of protein. I've been dieting for a week now attempting to keep my calories under 2000, and I've lost a pound. I've seen a few other threads mentioning that for someone my weight eating 2000 or less calories a day would be bad for me. How do I figure out my maintenance calories and how do I determine how many I should consume to lose weight? And is it necessary that I do cardio? (I mountain bike often, once a week usually for about 20 miles. I love my mountain biking.) I also run somewhat often and partake in pick-up games of soccer. I really just want to try to get down to 185-195 by the end of the year. Thanks for any and all advice!

EDIT: If it helps for advice: I have Hashimoto's Disease which is a thryroid disorder aka I am Hypothryroid; therefore my metabolism is super slow - atleast this is what I have been told. I'm assuming maintenance calories are determined somewhat from the person's metabolism.

Mark!
09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm Is a decent place to get a ball park figure. Basically, you start with an amount of calories, then cut them down a bit, see if you lose, and go from there. Remember though it's not about calories as a whole, it's about WHERE they come from. Something loaded with sugar and fat is going to have a negative effect most of the time. If you're horribly active there are some guys here eating around 2500+ and losing weight. Cardio is usually in the plans when trying to lose weight. Daniel Clough here did a lot of cardio and had phenomenal success at cutting weight. It will only help you.

Mike S
09-20-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm Is a decent place to get a ball park figure. Basically, you start with an amount of calories, then cut them down a bit, see if you lose, and go from there. Remember though it's not about calories as a whole, it's about WHERE they come from. Something loaded with sugar and fat is going to have a negative effect most of the time. If you're horribly active there are some guys here eating around 2500+ and losing weight. Cardio is usually in the plans when trying to lose weight. Daniel Clough here did a lot of cardio and had phenomenal success at cutting weight. It will only help you.

Thanks for the link, man. Trust me, I know about eating bad foods. The first time I cut my weight I was at 240 pounds and dropped to 185 in under a year. This was before I started weightlifting. I've recently been counting calories and making sure I am eating the healthiest food I can. I have to admit aswell, eating healthy just makes you feel better as a whole. I'm enjoying it :) I'll definitely stick with all the cardio then. Gotta have my mountain biking anyways.

EDIT: The calculator gave me an estimate of 2800 for maintenance and 2300 for fat loss. I'm quite happy with that actually and I'll definitely be using this as a new starting point. Thanks again for the link.

LuNa
09-21-2010, 05:19 AM
I weigh 212 pounds. I am attempting to cut back down to 185 - 195. I'm not completely sure how many calories I should be getting approximately each day. I know I need around 200 grams of protein. I've been dieting for a week now attempting to keep my calories under 2000, and I've lost a pound. I've seen a few other threads mentioning that for someone my weight eating 2000 or less calories a day would be bad for me. How do I figure out my maintenance calories and how do I determine how many I should consume to lose weight? And is it necessary that I do cardio? (I mountain bike often, once a week usually for about 20 miles. I love my mountain biking.) I also run somewhat often and partake in pick-up games of soccer. I really just want to try to get down to 185-195 by the end of the year. Thanks for any and all advice!

EDIT: If it helps for advice: I have Hashimoto's Disease which is a thryroid disorder aka I am Hypothryroid; therefore my metabolism is super slow - atleast this is what I have been told. I'm assuming maintenance calories are determined somewhat from the person's metabolism.

If you are sure you have been eating 2000 calories and loosing a pound then you are at the perfect amount at this moment. One should aim for a pound of weightloss a week, so i wouldnt fix what isnt broken.

The impact from going low on calories will depend on your macro nutrients. As long as you are getting in the minimum in protein and fat, you should be good to go. Again, try to aim for a pound of weight loss a week.