PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal

Codeguru
09-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Trying to get up to at least 160g of protein a day and cut out a lot of the fat but I've found that a tiny little bowl of quaker instant oatmeal with like 185 calories (after the milk and brown sugar) keeps me full for a long time. The only problem is that's 8g of protein total. I've seen a lot of people say they eat oatmeal in their diet but it's kinda crappy for protein amount, 4 of those grams are from the milk. Is it still worth eating for any reason, considering I already get tons of whole grains per day and take a multi-vitamin?...

Codeguru

tom183
09-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Oatmeal is not essential. If you can hit your carb and fibre goals without it then swap it out for something higher in protein.

The Spartan
09-24-2010, 11:55 AM
oatmeal is awesome! The protein in all plant based foods in incomplete, which means that they dont contain all the essential amino acids for building and reparing muscle. So, i never count the protein in those foods towards my daily count. You could add protein powder to your oatmeal, or put it in a blender and liquify it.
What do you think?

The Spartan
09-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I would also say, take out the brown sugar and replace it with berries!

J.C.
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
psssh, protein, shmotein. Oatmeal is a good way to start the day. When I lived in Glasgow, porridge used to get me through winter. Just get more protein from other sources. Maybe follow it with a protein shake at breakfast too.

I like a bit of cinnamon on mine. You can replace some of the sugar with cinnamon if you want to lower simple carbs.

Focused70
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
It's a great pick-me-up right before a gym sesh, especially if you like early morning workouts.

Quaker instant is ok if you're in a rush; I prefer Quaker regular or Scottish oatmeal, the kind you have to cook for a few minutes on the stove. (If you have a microwave, you can nuke it for a couple of seconds.)

Raisins, dried cranberries, natty pb and/or granola are what I put in mine.