PDA

View Full Version : nutrition and calorie count in "pho"

jtteg_x
09-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Pho is a Vietnamese noodle dish which consists of broth soup, rice noodle, flank, rare steak, brisket, meatball, tripe, onion, cilantro, bean sprout, and tendon. Preparation of this dish varies store to store. Some stores may use MSG while each have their own recipe in what they use for ingredients. I wanted to get an general idea of what the calorie count and nutrition facts are in Pho.
I started a simple diet (not super strict) and love me some Pho noodle soup. I think its a better alternative than what I would eat in the past: super burrito, cheese burger, chinese food, fried chicken, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho

Focused70
09-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Pho is a Vietnamese noodle dish which consists of broth soup, rice noodle, flank, rare steak, brisket, meatball, tripe, onion, cilantro, bean sprout, and tendon. Preparation of this dish varies store to store. Some stores may use MSG while each have their own recipe in what they use for ingredients. I wanted to get an general idea of what the calorie count and nutrition facts are in Pho.
I started a simple diet (not super strict) and love me some Pho noodle soup. I think its a better alternative than what I would eat in the past: super burrito, cheese burger, chinese food, fried chicken, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho

It's basically a thin broth with rice vermicelli, thinly sliced meat and herbs/aromatics of your choice. It's not very filling (as you might know). The protein macro isn't something I would count towards my daily total -- although if you're cutting, it might be ideal.

Remember that rice noodles are something like 200 calories per cup. And when I say "thinly sliced meat", I mean paper-thin. Could be as low as 400 calories to as high as 750 per serving -- it really depends on what ingredients are present. Meatballs will up the fat and calorie content for example, esp. if they're made of ground pork.

Hope that was helpful in some way.