PDA

View Full Version : Cutting: Setting Up Calories

ehopkins932
09-25-2010, 07:09 PM
There is no set caloric amounts or formulas....I can cut on 3k a day weighing 155 where some have to eat half of that. Its very individual.

MyWeightLifting
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM
That's true.. it is very individual.

But you can get a decent estimate by using a basic calculation and then calibrate it by doing a subjective assessment of variables.

I think multiplying bodyweight in lbs. x 12 cal/lb works good for the "average" person for a cutting diet...but you can calibrate the "12 cal/lb" by assessing these variables:
- younger or older
- metabolic rate
- Are you fidgety? (i.e. can't stop from moving around, constantly tapping your foot or something)
- activity level
- environment (i.e. hot or cold)

So you could get a better initial estimate of caloric intake by answering these questions...

...To give you an example, someone who is younger, has a fast metabolism (even for his/her age), is "fidgety," is very active (not counting workouts) and spends lots of time during the day in a hotter environment. This person would get much more accurate results of caloric needs for cutting by using a calculation of, say bodyweight in lbs. x 18 cal/lb instead of 12 cal/lb.

But again it is just an estimate and it requires some real-life trial and error for sure.