PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to eat too much fiber? How much would that be?

Kipper
09-27-2010, 02:36 AM
I have checked many sources, and I only find recommendations like try to get at least 20 or 30 grams a day. Nobody speaks of the upper limit. Is there one? How high would it be? What would the problems be if you go over that?

Im considering an experiment on myself, involving large amounts limen seeds and a lot of toilet visits :evillaugh:

Butcher
10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
The teacher I had for a nutrition class was an older lady. She was telling us at one time in the 60's or maybe 70's wheat germ was very poplular. Some people really took it to extremes and the were multiple cases of people being constipated to the point that they needed surgery to be unblocked.

The Spartan
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
yes you can overdue the fiber, just like anything else you can overdue it. You will notice many gastric disturbances with overduing fiber!

Schameson
10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
The biggest thing would be not to increase it quickly. There are diets in parts of the world that include much more fiber than 20-30g, but those people are accustomed to it. If you go from 10g to 50g overnight I can guarantee it won't be comfortable.

simonic
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Don't push it to the extreme.

Our bodies can't digest fiber. So, any and all must be pushed out. If you increase your levels to large amounts -- it'll be akin to using too much toilet paper...only you don't have a plunger for the problem.

And, why would you want to increase your levels dramatically? That just isn't necessary.