PDA

View Full Version : Critique my bench and my new PR's...

martin
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone. After having a few problems with back injury I did bench only at out UK Championships yesterday.

My bench training recently has seen me improve so was hoping for a PR. Decided I wouldn;t go home without having a go at my first 600 lbs bench so decided to open on 601 lbs (272.5kg).

I mssed the line up on first attempt and nearly lost my face. I think having my belt on tight (which I hadn't in training) played a big part in this. Took it second and was much better without fastening my belt - good lift and 25 lbs PR.

Took 617 on my third and although a little messy and what felt like a massive pause I got it just.

Here's a video:

7LKxKVCuCk0

My question: how can I get more?! How does my set up/ position look to experienced people? I seem to get shaky legs and wonder if I'm set up badly.

Thanks for any helpful words.

Martin

fasteddy
09-27-2010, 02:55 PM
even if u r on your toes, you have to drive heels toward floor, other than that, looks good

AdamBAG
09-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Martin, congrats on the PR benches!

I think your feet are just a tad too far underneath you. Move them out just a few inches so you are on the balls of your feet and not the actual tip of your shoe. That way you can drive your heels down and get more leg drive.

martin
09-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks. I had a feeling my feet were wrong. I have pretty long arms so the arch is helping alot but as I push it more I lose stability.

Next time I'm benching I'll try bringing them forwards a touch and get the ball of my foot on the floor.

Thanks guys, next goal 700...

vdizenzo
09-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Great lifting. X 3 about the feet thing. Get on the balls of your feet. You should feel like you are pushing your heels down. Your bench should improve nicely with that.

martin
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks Vincent. I def do not get the foot thing right.

Do you think that's why they were so slow off the chest?

douglasoh5
09-28-2010, 11:52 AM
You dont under stand or youve not been doing that? I Agree move your feet out just a hair and something I did because i to have had stablility problems was get my feet wider but still have them pretty far back. most ppl like your self just have your feet real close by the posts.

heres a vid of me benching with a decetn view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W4Xj-0oM4o

and are you taking a max grip? looks a hair closer.

martin
09-29-2010, 02:32 AM
You dont under stand or youve not been doing that? I Agree move your feet out just a hair and something I did because i to have had stablility problems was get my feet wider but still have them pretty far back. most ppl like your self just have your feet real close by the posts.

heres a vid of me benching with a decetn view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W4Xj-0oM4o

and are you taking a max grip? looks a hair closer.

I understand - I just know I'm not getting it right when I'm doing it.

Thanks for the link - you look alot more stable than I am! I will give it a go.

douglasoh5
09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
One thing I notice and have had others try is really flex your glutes really hard on the decent. this usually will help/promote driving with your heels