PDA

View Full Version : Cheap High Protein, Low Fat & Carb foods

kendals
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey All,

I'm having a problem with diet in that, no matter how hard I try, I am getting way too much Carbs and Fat, and nowhere NEAR enough Protein. And, when I try to get the protein I need, the Carbs and Fat (especially) ruin my calories. I am limited to my College Meal Plan when it comes to groceries, so I was wondering if you guys had any idea of cheap foods and snacks that could help, so that I don't have to down another protein shake or two during the day.

ehopkins932
09-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Whats your meal plan like? Mine is buffet style where I can sneak food out. Is it like you order something?

Tuna and protein powder are cheap sources.

kendals
09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Mine is basically the same thing. The thing is that Appalachian is a very liberal school in the Mountains of North Carolina. So, the food is either fried or vegetarian. I wouldn't mind the fried foods if I was bulking, but I' not, so I try to avoid them if I can.

Main reason I asked is because we do have a campus market place, I was wanting to see if maybe they had anything that you guys would suggest. Tuna sounds good, but the only protein they have is Power Bars, which have about twice the carbs as is does protein.

tenryhamilton
09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Learn to eat more food if you are picky. Stay cool this is better for you. You can learn to love the foods you think you do not like now. Choose healthy foods and adventure, which prevents you from enjoying these foods. Have a salad with olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and garlic into very thin slices. Mix dressing with leaves and tomato is the fact edible, if you do not like it too, open your mouth and your mind.

Behemoth
09-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Chicken, tuna, protein powder, cottage cheese. Both ram for gram and calorie for calorie protein is in most cases the priciest.

manowar669
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
The thing is that Appalachian is a very liberal school in the Mountains of North Carolina. So, the food is either fried or vegetarian.

I'm not sure what ghey part of NC your school is in, but plenty of meat was served everywhere I went in NC. Schools are partially funded by state, federal, or local sources. Carbs and fat are cheap, so you'll get lots of carbs and fat if you're limited strictly to their food. You can tweak it. Double up on meat and throw out the extra bread (I don't eat bread at all) from sandwiches and hamburgers. Drink milk and eat cheese when offered. Pass on Velveta-type "cheese". Get seconds on meaty components of meals and skip bread, pasta and rice.

You will probably have to supplement. Easiest is protein powder. Tuna is next. Suck it up and just eat/drink it. You might not need as much protein as you think. Most people can easily get by on 0.6-0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight, so if you're a really big boy, you might need a lot. If you are chubby, remember that you don't need protein for the flabby pounds.