PDA

View Full Version : Trouble locking out DL in a suit?

Andrew Cohn
10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey all. I've been training for the NOTLD meet and when I train in my suit, I have a horrific time locking out weights that are normally easy second attempts when I compete raw.

Any ideas to improve my suited lock out or solve whatever the issue may be? Speed is pretty good off the floor it just gets tougher at the top with the suit. My general weakpoint is the lockout but never as pronounced when I am raw. Thanks

jtteg_x
10-03-2010, 04:19 AM
I have a similar issue but I discovered that when I pull with straps up and belt, my breathing is restrictive. Turns out the suit may be a size too small. Are the suits you're wearing real tight?

dbc3po
10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Could be a couple of things. For me it is always I have the bare to far out front. Like Jtteg said to the suit may be to tight and you may be out of position to start the pull. Is the bar getting hung on the leg openings of the suit?

NickAus
10-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Conv pulling against bands should help big time.

muscle_g
10-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Rich Douglas gave me a tip on this that worked out really great for me. Try pulling the legs of your suit up higher than normal on the thighs, it seems to help the hips pop through easier.

Andrew Cohn
10-03-2010, 09:54 AM
The suit is pretty tight but I dont think it's "too tight." I can get down to the bar and get into position and then get a solid pop out of the groud. I've got two more weeks of training until I deload so I'll try these tips and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks

K Molinaro
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds like it is just throwing off your form. I would train as much as possible in your suit, even hit your lock outs in it. i also like Muscle Gs tip pull your legs on your suit up, really make them nut huggers.

Good luck

JK1
10-03-2010, 09:00 PM
are you deadlifting sumo or conventional?

Personally, I don't think deadlift suits work for sumo pulling. Wear a good set of briefs and you'll get as much or more for a sumo pull. I'll also freely admit I'm somewhat biased, but thats what I think.

Guido
10-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Sounds like it is just throwing off your form. I would train as much as possible in your suit, even hit your lock outs in it. i also like Muscle Gs tip pull your legs on your suit up, really make them nut huggers.

Good luckAgree. I find that I just need to pull in the suit often to get used to it and my lockouts improve. The suit doesn't help much with the lockouts so when you've been lifting all raw you probably aren't used to handling and locking out as much weight. Do plenty of heavy singles over your raw max and that will help.

MarcusWild
10-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Wear an under armour shirt under the suit. It'll let the straps slide at the top. It makes it easier to lockout.

Lones Green
10-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Personally, I don't think deadlift suits work for sumo pulling. Wear a good set of briefs and you'll get as much or more for a sumo pull. I'll also freely admit I'm somewhat biased, but thats what I think.

I feel just the opposite!

robchris
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM

:offtopic:You gotta be kidding bro... Sumo pullers get a lot more out of a suit than us conv. guys! Most of em' use sqaut suits anyway & you know how much they add. (BTW, not trying to start a debate here!)

As far as the lock-out train in the suit often as stated above and do plently of lock-out work, bx. pulls, bands & chains etc. Just my .02
RC

douglasoh5
10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
IDK what your smoking if you think you cant get much out of a suit sumo pulling. try pulling in a leviathion. As far as the dudes question most likely your not arching up in the bottom good enough. get a vid thats the only way to tell

JK1
10-06-2010, 08:13 AM
I feel just the opposite!

LOL. Lones, you are what? 10 inches taller than I am? ;-)

The problem is getting down to the bar in a suit. If you are short and fat with short arms (like I am) or if you are an explosive grip and rip lifter like my wife is, you can't get to the bar in a suit, even a loose one, and you can't get set up correctly. The briefs will provide hip support, and give you something pulling sumo, but not inhibit your setup. I gave up on deadlift suits after bombing at Nationals this year. I just don't think they work for crap for me.

I've never pulled in anything multiply, so I can't write anything about that. I'm talking about single ply equipment only.

BloodandThunder
10-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Andrew,
You may want to pull your straps down toward the shoulders. I've noticed alot of single-ply sumo pullers do this. If you can, do block pulls with the straps up.