PDA

View Full Version : the Zone

chuck
05-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Has anyone here tried the diet from "Enter The Zone" by Barry Sears? I've heard a lot of hype about it from people around, and on television etcetera, but I'm wondering if any of you buffs around here have anything to say about The Zone diet.

Jane
05-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Run a search for Zone through the diet forums. I think we've talked about it already.

If you have any questions after that, feel free to ask. I have read the book, albeit a while ago.

the doc
05-13-2002, 05:28 PM
bump up those old threads

it is a good diet, but he is not writing it for bbers

SaintStephen
05-14-2002, 06:56 AM
I have read a lot of it. I know people who do "The Zone" and I also think it is a great diet.... very healthy and good for weight loss. If you workout a lot you should add more protein to your diet though.

Paul Stagg
05-14-2002, 07:20 AM
In general, the Zone is a good place to start.

40/30/30, right?

Nicely balanced, enough fat, and for a lifter's caloric intake, it shoudl be pretty much on the mark for protein needs.

the doc
05-14-2002, 07:27 AM
yea paul it is sort of like that. I heard a recent interview with barry sears, the author, and it is basicly centers around the idea of limiting carb intake whilst maintaining protien at ~ 25 g/meal and consuming adequate good fat. He is real big on consuption of long chain omega 3s from fish oil now as well.

MonStar
05-14-2002, 07:54 AM
I have been following an isocaloric diet very similar to the Zone, although not compeltely the Zone. I have been eating around 2000-2200 calories per day, around 33/33/33. Sometimes closer to 40/30/30 though. Depends. Anyway diet seems to work well I dont have any complaints at all. :cool::cool:

MS

Wizard
05-14-2002, 07:55 AM
The 40/30/30 ratio which is close to the isocaloric ratios is cool as well as his (Barry Sears) advice on consuming monounsaturated and 3's.
The only thing that you have to change is the caloric intake because the suggested amount of calories is very low and especially for a bodybuilder or an athlete, but as the doc sais, the diet was not written for bbers.

chuck
05-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find many threads to do with the Zone (at least not productive ones) if someone wants to point some out for me that would be good (but I won't whine if you don't :p)

Anyway, I've decided to give it a whirl as well as boosting my exercise routines. This morning I ran windsprints (modified though, because it was cold.. 400m sprints instead of 100m, to get them done more quickly) before breakfast then got home and ate a zone meal. Actually, I'm feeling quite full after the meal -- though my cooking isn't quite what it could be -- which is a nice surprise.

If I feel that I'm not getting enough cals then I'll boost my consumption from the recommended number x1.2-1.6.

Anyway, if any of you have comments regarding the zone diet, or exercising for weight loss or have other suggestions for me, feel free to share them. For the record, I'm 5'4" ~140lbs, 11-15%bf (I'm not sure, so I added a few % above what friends and online calculators have estimated).

HumanV
05-18-2002, 02:53 PM
400 meter sprints? Mercy!

chuck
05-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Well, it's not like I was able to keep up the pace of a 100m sprint for the 400m, basically how it worked was I just ran as hard as possible for the 400m, after each lap I was quite exhausted so took a breather for a few minutes (2-5 minutes I guess) and went out again. By the end my pace was quite reduced from my first lap, but the point of it is to keep the heart rate up high -- so long as your effort is always 100% then your heart rate will keep up high.