PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question:) On calories

cam8n
10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Folks this looks like a great forum for a 35 year old workout newbie. I am 5'11" and have recently (over the last few months) began a calorie counting diet in order to reduce my weight which was at 200. I have through this calorie restriction come down to 173. I have started adding wieghtlifting to my workout routine to build some muclse as well as just lose fat. My big question is how do I balance my bodys need for calories because of lifting and my calorie restrcited diet? My current calorie restricted diet call for 1800 total calories in order for me to lose pound a week. Now that I am lifting I want to make sure I am not to restrictive. I think I need to get to 160 in order to be at my ideal BMI. My body is about a medium build but currently I still have a pot belly which I want to dispose of so I can start hanging at the pool with my shirt off rather then on! Thanks for any info

cam8n
10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Also would like to add that ideally I would like to be around 175-180 but in much better condition of course. So I guess what i'm asking is should i keep cutting down to say 10 or12% body fat(currently around 20%) and then try and bulk up from there? Or add more calories now and lift more? I'm thinking if I add more calories now I will never lose my belly? But I'm new to this so I could be wrong..... Thanks for any opinons

Behemoth
10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Keep cutting to your 160 then gradually add in some more food to bulk up a bit. To reach 15lbs extra muscle mass at the bodyfat you will be at when you reach 160 will probably take a few rotations of this. Meaning when you get to say 185 or 190 you still won't have that 175lbs of lean mass you want. You'll probably have to cut down again (though this time you'll look better as you approach say 167 or 168 as lean as you previously were at your 160). You can go straight through to your 175lbs of lean mass but in reality you'll probably be pretty sloppy by the time you bulk up that much in one stint. Hope that makes sense.

As far as the calories to add for lifting, just experiment. Lots of things can vary this number but I would guess the average trainer burns 300-500 cal an hour. Less if you're bs'ing and half assing it. More if your killing it, are in the zone, and just cranking out killer set after killer set.

ehopkins932
10-06-2010, 10:43 AM
What are you current macro ratios?

The weight training can burn anywhere from 300-900, tough to tell.

Also, Im not sure if you have done this, but set realistic goals for yourself IN WRITING. Say that you want to x weight in 12 weeks, and have little mini goals in that 12 week cycle so you know if you need to adjust and evaluate your plan.

Holto
10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
If you were losing weight @1800 with NO EXERCISE then you need to really increase that so you aren't starving yourself. Lifting greatly increases your resting metabolic rate in terms of recovering from the session, completing the session and carrying extra lean mass.

I would personally go to at least 2300 for a few weeks. I suspect you'll still lose weight at that intake.

If you're losing a lb/week at 1800 with NO EXERCISE then your maintenance calories with no exercise are 2300. With exercise it could me much, much higher.

Dedaw
10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Eat lean in fat, high in protein and eat good calories.

Also, http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/