PDA

View Full Version : Need some major deadlift help

Invain
10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
So I'm pretty embarrassed to even post this vid, but my from has deteriorated to the point that I don't know what to do anymore. I know my biggest problem is my hams are lacking badly, I pretty much never train them outside of deads/squats. With lower weight, 400 ish, my form is great. Once I get into the 500 range, everything goes to ****. I have no problem getting the weight moving off the floor, but once I hit about knee level or just above, the lift just completely stalls. I have absolutely no lockout power.

Here's a 560 attempt from today. Ignore the super ****ty belt, it was the only one I had access to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojbjqlzr-Zw

douglasoh5
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
looks like the bars out in front a hair. try and arch your low-mid back more and do high rep goodmornings. and any hamstring machine you have access too. Do you do direct lower back work rite now? like a reverse hyper, ghr, regular hyper or 45 hyper?

Invain
10-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah my leverages are way off, I know what's wrong with my from from watching the video, but I'm honestly at a loss as to how to fix it. I've been trying to work on my form for so long but like I said, when I start moving heavier weight it collapses.

My biggest problem I've had is any good ham/lower back workout bothers my lower back too much. If I try to do even moderately heavy GM's or SLDL's, my lower back/glute area gets tight as hell.

Yes we have hyper and ghr machines/stands. I've been thinking about getting some bands and hitting ghr's maybe twice a week.

joey54
10-06-2010, 04:36 AM
Were you using chalk on that attempt?

Invain
10-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Were you using chalk on that attempt?

Yes. Grip has never been a problem.

Lones Green
10-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Yeah my leverages are way off, I know what's wrong with my from from watching the video, but I'm honestly at a loss as to how to fix it. I've been trying to work on my form for so long but like I said, when I start moving heavier weight it collapses.

My biggest problem I've had is any good ham/lower back workout bothers my lower back too much. If I try to do even moderately heavy GM's or SLDL's, my lower back/glute area gets tight as hell.

Yes we have hyper and ghr machines/stands. I've been thinking about getting some bands and hitting ghr's maybe twice a week.

Honestly you don't have to go super heavy on goodmornings to see benefit from them. Try them with 135, 185, 225 or so and really sit back with them, to the point where it feels like your hamstrings are about to tear off the bone

Keith
10-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Honestly you don't have to go super heavy on goodmornings to see benefit from them. Try them with 135, 185, 225 or so and really sit back with them, to the point where it feels like your hamstrings are about to tear off the bone

I agree. Wendler pulls over 700 raw and I believe uses 185 for good mornings.

However, according to this (http://www.wannabebig.com/training/deadlift-5-plates-like-a-champion/) article, you have weak glutes and yet the top two exercises for glutes (olympic squats and front squats), you're great at. Other exercises that hit my glutes well are walking lunges and bulgarian split squats. I'm not sure how accurate that article is, so hopefully some more experienced members can chime in.

Invain
10-06-2010, 10:13 AM

I'll def give them a try again with lower weight. What about knee position? I used to do them with locked knees, but I've had guys tell me to bend the knees a little bit. I honestly feel when my knees are locked it puts less strain on my lower back and shifts the weight to my hammies more.

MarcusWild
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
There's a reason you have good form with light weights and bad form with heavy weights. When it gets heavy, the body naturally tries to use the strongest muscles to get the lift. If you get the right muscles to be the strongest, then you'll have good form with heavy weight. You need a way to train hamstrings.

robchris
10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll def give them a try again with lower weight. What about knee position? I used to do them with locked knees, but I've had guys tell me to bend the knees a little bit. I honestly feel when my knees are locked it puts less strain on my lower back and shifts the weight to my hammies more.

Dont wanna try and pull it w/ locked knees bro... That reserved for SLDL only! Could result in a major injury over time. Keep working the hams & lower back w/ all the aforementioned exercises.

GM, and weighed hypers really helped my DL... Dont forget heavy ab work and pull-thrus are a good exercises too!

dammstrate
10-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Your starting position is good, but about 1/2 up you loose your arch and become rounded.

Do rack pulls with the bar starting a bit below where your back starts to round. Force yourself
to pull the weight with an exaggerated arch. 6-8 sets working up in weight, 3 reps/set.

Lat pulls - you lats aren't strong enough to keep flexed back to keep you shoulders back when
the weight gets heavy. Best exercise to emphasis this is seated machine lat rows, or bent over
lat rows from the floor with a barbell.

Invain
10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. Lotta tips that I'll definitely try out.

BloodandThunder
10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Really not a lockout issue. FF to 17 seconds. Bar hasn't even budged, yet your hips are high, your chest is pointed towards the ground, your upper back is rounded, and your knees are caved forward. In addition to bringing up each individual body part through all the accessories mentioned above (also do something for quad drive off the floor), I would recommend lots of heavy singles. You said it yourself, your form is fine with 400, but once it gets say 500, everything goes to hell. The DL is a different monster so working with heavier singles will give you plenty of practice to perfect your form with those weights. My DL form is much improved and I'm ready for a huge PR since I started throwing in heavier singles in the mix.