PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Lifts

acfalcon
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I've started training heavily in boxing lately. I'm nearing 30 so I don't have any ambitions of becoming world champ or anything but am looking to improve and maybe do some competing. I'm obviously spending a lot of time on bag work and sparring, but have been lifting weights for 15 years until now when I've stopped to concentrate on boxing. I miss the lifting and I know many say lifting actually can hurt a boxers performance, but since I'm doing this as more of a recreation than a career I want to do things I enjoy still. I know cleans/snatches are good lifts because of their explosive nature but unfortunately I have a hypertensive muscle in my mid-back that only is aggrevated by those lifts (so they are out). Can anyone with some boxing/striking experience suggest any good lifts for me to do to satisfy my lifting itch without hindering my boxing too much? Thanks.

Travis Bell
10-08-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't personally have experience with boxing, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've worked with a couple boxing coaches who were big fans of weightlifting if it's used properly.

Your weight training should be focused around strength building. Boxing is still about power as well as endurance. Strength in the shoulders, upper back and triceps is imperative as well as good quality lower back, hip and leg strength (squats and deadlifts)

The balance to be struck is in the amount of time weight training. While you might have spent an hour or more doing it in the past, now that you are really focusing on boxing, keep it to 30min max and just focus on the big lifts.

Be sure to include some post workout stretching and mobility exercises for your shoulders and hips. This will prevent you from becomming stiff as you become stronger.

shootermcgavin7
10-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Ac, to add to what Travis said...you should concentrate on low-rep, heavy weight lifts. If you are heavy into combat sports, you will want to build speed and power and will likely only have 2-3 days to lift. Work big compound movements with heavy weights.

I do lifting on weekends, and fit my skill work in around that. As far as structuring programs around fight training you may want to check out Ross Enamait's stuff too.