PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on getting back on track, 30lb. bench program by Chris Mason

Jacob R.
10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I just finished the 3rd day of the 2nd week and I didn't complete the prescribed bench reps.

My %'s are based off of a 225 max bench, I was supposed to bench 200 x 2 x 2.

Instead, on my first work set I accidentally let the bar drift over my face and couldn't lock it out and dumped the weight. I backed down by 5 lbs. to 195 to finish the next set.

Did I just mess up on my form? Should I keep going with these %'s and try to get them next week and ease off on the accessories?

Did I just get lucky on my bench max that day and maybe I should lower the number I base the %'s off of?

Here is my journal that shows all of my recent sessions:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?125316-Starting-Jacob-s-Strength&p=2387543#post2387543

I thought I should post because I'm only halfway in the program.

AdamBAG
10-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I would just back the "training max" down from 225 and either go from there or start the program over.

Jacob R.
10-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks

I'll put the max as 220 or 215, that should make the difference.

robchris
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
jacob,
sounds like you may've just had a bad day... Stick w/ it and see how it goes next workout.

If you continue to miss your attempts/reps them reset and start over @ a lighter max. I did Chris's program last year and had great results w/ it. Just follow it to the letter and dont do extra. The program feels easy at first as it should, but as you progress it becomes more challanging.

Good luck, RC

chris mason
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
My guess is that your form might be quite loose when attempting your max (bouncing, butt in the air etc.) which can skew things a bit. That makes sense relative to you getting out of the groove on a sub-maximal set.

Next, are you following the program exactly or doing any extra work (any at all)?

Take a few days off and then test your max with good form (control the weight on the descent and don't bounce or let your butt come off the bench) and start over. Maintain the solid form during the routine.

Jacob R.
10-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm have been doing the prescribed work and have been eating well. I've never used reps below 5 before this program and have been enjoying using heavier weights.

My 225 training max was pretty sloppy now that I think about it and my truer strict bench max is probably 215. I also went too heavy with the upper body accessory lifts and I'll have to ease off.

I feel like I'm screwing myself by not resting a bit and finding it, but I really wanted to lift today so I based it on 215.