PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlift Critique

snow
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOv24QcxQ1Y

The action starts @ 33 seconds for those with ADD like myself.

After all these years, I can't perfect this form.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my butt seems to be slightly coming up first, which shouldn't be happening. How do I correct that?

Any other problems you see?

Keith
10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Why the straps? I'd cut out the rolling back and forth. The weight is too light to judge anything. You had many reps in you @ 365 but if you don't want to take it to a true 1 RM, bring it to a rep max and we can see where your form breaks down.

r2473
10-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Be careful deadlifting in socks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O-LNy2-pXA&feature=player_embedded

snow
10-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Why the straps? I'd cut out the rolling back and forth. The weight is too light to judge anything. You had many reps in you @ 365 but if you don't want to take it to a true 1 RM, bring it to a rep max and we can see where your form breaks down.

I've neglected things like forearms and grip for too long and I've only recently started working on them... so I'm hoping to wean off the straps soon. I think I saw Rippletoe roll it like that, so the weight was an inch or from the shins, and I just developed that into a full blown mental preparation tick.

You're definitely right... I do have more in me... I just blew out my back a year or so ago during regular DL and I've been afraid to take it higher. It's a mental block.

So was the rest of the lift OK then? Is having the butt slightly come up first not a bad thing?

:omg:

I'll be sure to go barefoot next time!

Keith
10-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I've neglected things like forearms and grip for too long and I've only recently started working on them... so I'm hoping to wean off the straps soon. I think I saw Rippletoe roll it like that, so the weight was an inch or from the shins, and I just developed that into a full blown mental preparation tick.

You're definitely right... I do have more in me... I just blew out my back a year or so ago during regular DL and I've been afraid to take it higher. It's a mental block.

So was the rest of the lift OK then? Is having the butt slightly come up first not a bad thing?

Have you tried pulling 365 with a mixed grip? Can you use chalk?

I'd highly recommend getting properly setup at the bar, big breath and pull. Anything more is wasted energy and can set you up for injury if you're in an incorrect position.

IMO, the hips rising isn't anything to be concerned with, but like I said, the weight is too light to determine if that's an issue. If you can, if you feel ready, add on more weight and record a max effort attempt.

Sean S
10-08-2010, 06:17 PM
First you spend way too much time down over the bar before you actually start pulling. It wastes alot of energy. You should strive to use as little energy as possible in the set-up process so you have more left to actually pull. As far as the actual pull, it looks fine but it's too light a weight to actually tell anything. I see a slight movement up of the hips before you start, but it's hard to tell if that will actually be a problem with heavier weights. If you go up in weight and your technique looks essentially the same as now except the bar moves slower, then you are fine. If you go up in weight and your hips shoot up much worse and it causes you to get rounded over and out of position, then it's a problem. Again we don't know which will be the case until you put some more weight on the bar.

snow
10-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I never thought about wasting energy while I was down there preparing... good point.

Brian Hopper
10-08-2010, 08:00 PM

I hate to laugh, but that was too funny :)

Brian Hopper
10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
It didn't look that bad, but like most people said it's not really heavy enough. Take video of you pulling some heavier weight and post it up so we can see what's up with your form. Other then that bro, nice work!!!