PDA

View Full Version : Beer and powerlifting

K-R-M
10-11-2010, 06:25 AM
I was just wondering how much do you guys drink and how does it affect your lifting/physique.

I'm in Prague right now where alcohol/beer is ridiculously cheap while being insanely good and where you can get a medium pizza and a bowl of pasta with meat and cheese for 5$. So it's happened more than once that my PWO drink consisted of a few beers.

Is wine a better alternative?

ScottYard
10-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I love beer. Im also a fat bastard as well so I cant tell you it doesnt affect my physique though. As with anything its about balance. If you are trying to lean out stick to light beer and eat healthy on the night out. As for strength I have had my best days on a hangover and I personally have never noticed a difference when I cut booze out, or if I was boozing hard all weekend. I stick to vodka on ice pre meet as the calories are low.

SELK
10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I doubt strength wise it will have much impact, you may get fatter though. Last contest I did I drank fairly often and hit a 150lbs PR total, i was a fat mess though in the end haha.

Brian C
10-11-2010, 09:34 AM
I may be on the next plane to Prague.....

ehopkins932
10-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Its different for everybody...if numbers start going down then you know likely why this is.

Personally, it doesn't make much of a difference if any on strength. But its obviously not good if you are trying to stay in a weight class (like me) or trying to lean up in general.

Pete22
10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I stick to vodka on ice pre meet as the calories are low.

This. Lol. Like with everything, in moderation it isn't going to make or break your strength goals IMO.

K-R-M
10-11-2010, 11:41 AM
This. Lol. Like with everything, in moderation it isn't going to make or break your strength goals IMO.

Moderation has a whole different meaning here.

I don't care about abs really. I just don't want to go much higher than 15% bf since I'm below 200lbs at 5'10". 3 beers a day + a few days of 10-15 beers is common place for light drinkers.

K-R-M
10-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I may be on the next plane to Prague.....

0,5Litres of beer varies from 25 cents (at the market) to 1,20$ from tap. At worst, the beer tastes like the best you'll find from microbreweries. I get pounds upon pounds of meat for less than 20$. Bread with pork fat is considered a vegeterian dish. I'm not getting into the women (Slovakia especially) and parties. Jesus.

mikesbench
10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm with Brian... get me to Prague ASAP. Seriously though,I drink quite a bit, and feel it has no negative impact on my strength; in fact I think my beer belly is great for benching. If I were bodybuilding though I'm sure it would be in my best interest to avoid it.

Drinking in Prague does sound like it vaguely resembles Wisconsin though; the prices are much different though.

pricedtosell
10-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I love beer. Im also a fat bastard as well so I cant tell you it doesnt affect my physique though. As with anything its about balance. If you are trying to lean out stick to light beer and eat healthy on the night out. As for strength I have had my best days on a hangover and I personally have never noticed a difference when I cut booze out, or if I was boozing hard all weekend. I stick to vodka on ice pre meet as the calories are low.

You're not actually "boozing hard" if this is even remotely true.

ScottYard
10-17-2010, 07:11 AM
You're not actually "boozing hard" if this is even remotely true.

What do you mean?

JK1
10-17-2010, 05:50 PM
I like a cold beer, but I don't drink that much. Beer or any alcohol before a meet is a no-no for me. I might have one wiht the post meet feeding frenzy but thats not all the time.

pricedtosell
10-17-2010, 09:13 PM
What do you mean?

Sorry, sounded like an ******* the way I phrased that.

I'm just curious how much you're actually drinking when you say you're boozing hard. I quit drinking a few months ago but when I did drink, I could barely stand up the next day. There's no way I'd be able to have the coordination, focus and strength to hit a PR.

greemah
10-18-2010, 01:34 AM

I'm just curious how much you're actually drinking when you say you're boozing hard. I quit drinking a few months ago but when I did drink, I could barely stand up the next day. There's no way I'd be able to have the coordination, focus and strength to hit a PR.

I think that depends on the person. Some people I know can't lift the day after drinking, but personally I have almost always had my strongest workouts hungover. And I usually drink around 17 beers when I drink which is at the top end of what most people I know drink

Liftersize
10-19-2010, 12:25 AM
i feel like crap lifting on a hangover, but i have definitely hit some huge prs with a serious hangover. It doesnt effect my strength at all, I even quit drinking for 2 months and saw no noticeable difference.

douglasoh5
10-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Im not quite as good a lifter as some but i get drunk alot. vodka, rum, whisky and beer some times. Its a pain having to do pee ever 10 minutes

ScottYard
10-19-2010, 06:54 AM

typical weekend for me is a handle of vladimir and a 30 of natty.

Pete22
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
typical weekend for me is a handle of vladimir....

Russian training secrets... lol.

ScottYard
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Russian training secrets... lol.

Exactly lol

gopostal42
10-20-2010, 07:32 AM
moderation is key i would say. i'm becoming a fan of a beer or 4 during training here lately.