PDA

View Full Version : Question on Chaos Bench Press

MPB
10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if I have the name right, so I'll put up a youtube video just in case if you don't know what I'm talking about.

(this is not me, btw)
VzU2KczvHFE

I've been thinking about adding another assistance exercise (right after max effort) to my training and I'd like to know what you guys think about it. It seems like a good way to work the muscles without adding too much stress on the cns/joints.

Thanks.

Pete22
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I've used it on DE day or as an extra workout on an off day. For high reps, I think it's great for recovery and works on stability too.

ThomasG
10-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I use it for RE days quite often. Can't see anything wrong with it being an accessory every once in a awhile.

MarcusWild
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I use it to explain to new people what being tight is. They always say, "I am tight". Then I make them do that and they realize they aren't even close to being tight. I think once you learn to stay tight, then you don't have to use it that often.

vdizenzo
10-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I have never done them. I need to give them a try.

martin
10-13-2010, 08:16 AM
They're good for pre/rehab and as said above making you keep tight.

I've been using a bandbell bar (bamboo bar) these last few weeks and I like it as assistance work.

The higher the contrast between bar weight and suspended weight the more instability you create. If you wanted to use it as in video on a ME day then you could always go 50/50 bar/suspended weight and use it in the higher %'s. Just a thought :)

JK1
10-13-2010, 11:20 AM
We have used those for years. I will incorporate them in after my DE work as an assistance exercise for staying tight. I don't typically do them for ME work.

One thing i've noticed is there is a big difference in the bar movement if you use plates vs using kettlebells. Plates tend to sit more "evenly" on the bands and they don't move as much as kettlebells do. The uneven loading fo kettlebels (the band goes to one side of the handle) creates even more chaos with the movement. Also multiple light kettlebells works much better than 1 or 2 heavier ones. We generally don't use more than the 55 lb kettlebell. You get a 25, 35, and a 45 on the end of the bar all 3 going different directions, you MUST stay tight to keep control. That said a single 60 lb and a 45 and the bar is going to follow the mass of the 60 lb kettlebell. Also, don't use plates bigger than about 35 lbs.

We've done the same thing with deadlifts too. When I was really struggling with the deadlift after the meet last spring, I started hanging kettlebells from the end of the bar---they'd touch the ground at the bottom, but be swinging at the top. It really forced me to stay tight and get my deadlift back on track.

We've also played around with squats with KB's suspended from the bar, but not that much.

Keith
10-13-2010, 05:24 PM
I have never done them. I need to give them a try.

Wow, I never expected you to say that.

Brian Hopper
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I use to do them alot for a ME exercise, mainly chain suspended and not much of full range. I think they are a great movement and can either be done as a ME lift or assistance. This is a movement I really need to start working into my training.

Chris Smith
10-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Man, I cant believe no one has commented on the music in that video----Eye of the Tiger, baby. LOL.

MPB
10-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Thank you guys for your inputs. I really appreciate it.