PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Surgery...???

bojackson
10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
should i specifically ask the doctor if he will 2ply the mesh? i mentioned it to him and he said 1 ply would be enough. i told him i powerlifted. should i push the 2ply mesh???

JK1
10-14-2010, 11:33 AM
should i specifically ask the doctor if he will 2ply the mesh? i mentioned it to him and he said 1 ply would be enough. i told him i powerlifted. should i push the 2ply mesh???

I'm sorry I've missed where your hernia is at. Is it umbilical or inguinal?

Personally I think your surgeon is right doing a single layer mesh. The reason being is the more layers there is the mesh the greater the risk for complications with the surgery. The mesh doesn't hold the hernia in place once things are healed as much as it acts as a netowork for scar tissue to form over and around. If you blow the hernia out again, its not going to be from the mesh tearing as much as it will be from the surrouding tissues giving way (the ones that led to the hernia in the first place). Because of that a second layer shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Also, the more layers to the mesh, the greater the risk of complications if there is a reaction to the mesh or worse yet if it gets infected. Bacteria can "hide" in and around the mesh where they can then come out as a really nasty abcess down the road. Thats a bad thing. You dont' want that to happen.