PDA

View Full Version : Favorite heavy ab exercises?

Clone
10-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Curious what your favorite heavy ab exercises are.

My lower back seems to get plenty of work from deadlifting, but I need heavier ab work I think.

I currently do things like hanging leg raises, decline sit ups with bands looped over chest, V-Ups.

I was doing ab wheel rollouts for a while, but they killed my shoulders.

I lift at home and have a power rack, benches, lat pull down machine, plenty of plates and DBs. So keep that in mind.

Looking for more ab strength to help squats and deads.

Pete22
10-15-2010, 07:54 AM
My top three are steep weighted decline situps, standing pulldown abs, and GHR situps against mini bands.

ScottYard
10-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Spread Eagle Sit ups with legs pinned down by a bench. Kills the abs and works the hip flexors hard as well. great for powerlifting.

muscle_g
10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I like these

Standing Pulldown Cable Crunches
Seated Crunch Machine
Decline Sit-Ups
DB Side Bends
Side Cable Crunches
Leg Raises(w/ankle weights)
Ab Wheel

Lones Green
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Standing abs variations are my favorite for sure, and what I think have the most carryover.

Screwtape!
10-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Any kind of zercher lift/ squat.

Clone
10-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Spread Eagle Sit ups with legs pinned down by a bench. Kills the abs and works the hip flexors hard as well. great for powerlifting.

You mean straight legged correct?

Much difference versus bent legs?

Clone
10-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Standing abs variations are my favorite for sure, and what I think have the most carryover.

I'll have to try standing cable crunches.

Def looking for carryover.

Lones Green
10-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll have to try standing cable crunches.

Def looking for carryover.

When I started doing more standing abs I noticed a carryover to my squat for sure

theBarzeen
10-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I like standing abs with a rope, but the best by far is that ab wheel....... PR is 3 reps on my toes, that thing is brutal.......

mastermonster
10-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Kneeling green band overhead crunches in the power rack. Grab the band as high as needed to make them heavier.

3whitelights
10-17-2010, 10:42 PM

I've been recommended these before, but I can never get them quite right. Are you "crunching" your way up or keeping your back neutral, and are your legs completely straight when you do them?

3whitelights
10-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Personally I've gotten the best results out of doing standing abs with the spud long ab strap. Saw a lot of carryover to my squat.

SEOINAGE
10-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Do you squat without a belt? thats a good ab work out.

I like to do decline sit ups with added weight when i can, I hold the weight with my arms straight and always facing up towards the ceiling. Try it some time, and work your way up to 100 lbs added resistance and they work wonders.

pricedtosell
10-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Do you squat without a belt? thats a good ab work out.

I like to do decline sit ups with added weight when i can, I hold the weight with my arms straight and always facing up towards the ceiling. Try it some time, and work your way up to 100 lbs added resistance and they work wonders.

I've done these but I always found it much harder to hold the weight behind my head. I've been wondering about this for a while in regards to where the best position actually is to hold the weight for weighted sit ups. It's more difficult with the weight behind the head, but you're able to go heavier when you keep the weight above your head or in front of you (much like the GHR).

I never noticed a major carryover, even when building up to heavy weighted sit ups with the weight in front of me but as soon as I started doing my weighted sit ups with just small amounts of weight behind my head, I noticed a big improvement.

abbcccxyyzzz
10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
The best of the best are:

1. Ab slide (can ultimately progress to standing decline (feet on top raised surface) with weight attached (backpack/dumbell in belt))
2. My favorite: zercher sit-ups (done on flat/decline) - I first did these two years ago and got the strangest looks!
3. Knee-ups (with weighted bar on feet)
4. Russian twist

I been doing these and literary think I could run over my abs with a semi truck and have no ill effects! haha

robchris
10-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Weighted incline sit-ups, Heavy OH cable crunches, leg-raises... Pulling and squating w/o a belt also builds tremendous core strength.

I only belt up when I'm around 80-90% 1rm.

theBarzeen
10-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know how this thread has gone on so long without anyone bringing up the king of all ab exercises....... missionary

LanceGoyke
10-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't know how this thread has gone on so long without anyone bringing up the king of all ab exercises....... missionary

That is gold, theBarzeen.

Moving on, if you do all of these "heavy" ab exercises, you won't be lifting for very long and you're going to limit your performance. Don't train movement at the lumbar spine. And powerlifters don't need a whole lot of rotational training at all, so I wouldn't include that if I were you.

Ab Wheel Rollouts are great. Since you said your shoulders hurt, I think you should fix them. Do more pushups, which are a FANTASTIC abdominal exercise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUSGdTWSMzU
Oh, and do more low/mid trap work.

Unilateral work will work your abs. Try a 2 Point DB Row.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFW4TC97LQ
Or Single Arm Face Pulls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QANJ12Cv-k

Pallof Press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF96USLxBDk

Half Kneeling Chop (or lift)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz0YKl4sXIY

Clone
10-30-2010, 03:46 AM
That Pallof press is pretty cool.

Hard to do at home. I had to use a choked mini band for it.

Good stuff.

LanceGoyke
10-30-2010, 05:02 PM
That Pallof press is pretty cool.

Hard to do at home. I had to use a choked mini band for it.

Good stuff.

+1 on Pallof Press

neweracat
10-30-2010, 05:26 PM
What do you guys mean when you say "carryover"?

SELK
10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
carryover = if it is actually effective at increasing one of the 3 powerlifts. Lots of us dont care if our abs get stronger if it doesn't help our lifts.

I don't do any direct ab work. I have been throwing in some beltless chain suspended GMs for sets of 5 and they seem to help build a strong midsection.

LanceGoyke
10-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Strong obliques keep your hips healthy. Don't make my mistake and learn how to use them.

Rugby Dad
11-01-2010, 03:42 PM

ok, must sound like a 40 y/o virgin, but whats a missionary :confused:

BigTallOx
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Curious what your favorite heavy ab exercises are.

Atlas stones. Using my gut to push the stones up on the platform is a great ab exercise. Heavy yoke walks also hits my abs pretty hard.