PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press Training

smitsky
10-19-2010, 06:35 AM
I have been competing for 3 years. I have done a total of 9 meets in the WNPF, USAPL, and IPA so far. I am 5'9" and fluctuate between 179-193 lbs.

I usually compete Full Powerlifting, but have done a Bench Only meet when injured. I will record my Bench Press sessions here.

I am currently injured, not being able to Deadlift.

I plan to travel to New England with my training partner on Dec. 11th where I will either compete in the 198's and take a token Deadlift or Bench Only.

smitsky
10-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Monday October 18th:

Bodyweight: 187 1/4 lbs.

Could not get the shirt to touch tonight. I'm still try to use the 43 Fury. I decided to try to break this bad boy in without using boards. Vinny Dizenzo told me he liked the idea of me trying to lower the weight 'till the shirt locked up, and then press it back up. I did this with 275 in the beginning. I fished for the groove and didn't feel as if I found it. My training partner stayed right with me shadowing the bar and if I couldn't push anything up on my own, he came in quick. I think the 295 was my best lift since it came close to touching and I was able to press it back up on my own. I lifted my head from the bench, which is not allowed in the USAPL.

Didn't have time for anything else, so finished off the session with a PR of 75's X 15 in the Dumbbell Bench Press Repetition Method.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5
155 X 4
175 X 3
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 2
235 X 1
245 X 1
255 X 1
275 X 3 (43 fury on; no touch)
295 X 1 (no touch)
315 X 0 (no touch)
325 X 0 (no touch)

Bench Press Dumbbell Repetition Method:

75's X 15 (PR)

smitsky
10-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Bar went flying through the air and landed on my head to open up a pretty bad gash on my head last night because me and my training partner did something stupid with Reverse Bands.

The session went like this:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2
135 X 3
155 X 3
175 X 3
185 X 3
195 X 3
275 X 1 (add reverse bands)

To 3 Board:

365 X 3 (add 43 fury)
375 X 3
385 X 3 (PR established )

To 4 Board:

395 X 3
405 X 3 (PR established )
425 X 1 (spotter assist on 2nd & forced rep on 3rd; PR established )

Smashed my skull gashed my head open shut it down

drew
10-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Have you read Vincent's article on the art of triples? It's very important when doing triples to hang in there on the third rep and do whatever you have to do to touch the weight.

smitsky
10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Have you read Vincent's article on the art of triples? It's very important when doing triples to hang in there on the third rep and do whatever you have to do to touch the weight.

Thanks Drew!

Yeah, I've got to tell the truth: I'm really not sure how to implement the Triples technique using this tight shirt. Do I try my best to touch on the 3rd rep using a weight I can get for 3? Whenever I try to touch it turns into a belly dump or a feeling like my body is going to explode and I'm going to injure myself.

drew
10-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks Drew!

Yeah, I've got to tell the truth: I'm really not sure how to implement the Triples technique using this tight shirt. Do I try my best to touch on the 3rd rep using a weight I can get for 3? Whenever I try to touch it turns into a belly dump or a feeling like my body is going to explode and I'm going to injure myself.

Well, the good thing is the triples technique is great for tight shirts. The bad news is that if you do them right, you'll be miserable. It's very important that you have a training partner calling your reps and giving you a press call. This person has to have the balls to make you sit in the hole on that 3rd rep.

The most important thing when touching weight is to be patient. Dumping weight is generally a result of rushing or trying to force the weight in. Stay patient, force your hips and belly up and squeeze the glutes. Keep tucking the elbows hard and let the weight come in.

Feling like you're going to explode is part of the fun. You might pass out, it's up to you to have the fortitude to stay with it and not worry about that. Unless you legitimately are going to get injured (the bar is in a really bad place) you should hang with it.

Programming of the triples is pretty simple. Take the weight you want to hit and work back from there you'll take off 15-25 lbs per week and do 3 weeks of triples, a week out, 3 weeks of doubles, a week out and then 3 weeks of singles. Say you want to hit 405 by the last week, your cycle would look like this (going backward):

Week 11: 1x405
Week 10: 1x385
Week 9: 1x365
Week 8: No shirt
Week 7: 2x345
Week 6: 2x325
Week 5: 2x305
Week 4: No shirt
Week 3: 3x285
Week 2: 3x265
Week 1: 3x245

If 3 weeks in the shirt is too much for you, use the same numbers and just take every 3rd week out of the shirt instead of every 4th. This is what I do. Also, do the shirt work after you board work (use board work as a warmup).

Like I said, always focus on getting that 3rd rep to touch. Also, you want to get the weight down fast and under control. It really helps to have a training partner yelling "down down down" at you as soon as you lock out the rep.

Good luck with it. You should try to make a trip to CT so you can really learn how to do it.

smitsky
10-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks a lot Drew!

This sounds like a really challenging routine. I'll give it my best shot. Do I start my warm up with board work in the shirt or raw? What level board, 3, 4?

I'll try to be patient and do the things you've described. It makes a lot of sense, you just have to get the idea and commit to it. Ok, I will try to resist worrying about passing out. As you say, it's probably just an unfounded fear that has to overcome as part of the sport. I've never quite felt like that before, and I'm not used to it.

How many sets do you do in a session? Just one, or do you do more than one?

It looks like this routine (as written) would be a good place to start. I'll start with 245 this coming Monday (my shirt day), unless you think I should start with a different weight.

I'll explain it to my training partner and tell him what to do.

Yeah, I'll rent a car one day and come up to learn the drill. That would be cool.

drew
10-22-2010, 06:35 AM
I approach the boar work as both a warmup and as my Max effort for the day, so I cycle boards. I've done 2,3,4 and 1,2,3 and right now I just go to a 2 then a 3 (these are on different weeks) and I never use the 4 anymore. If your shirt set for the day is pretty far off your best board, you can take the shirt to a board to get you there but it looks like your board numbers are pretty high compared to your shirt so you should have no problem.

With triples and doubles it's best to do 1 set and make sure you do it right. This means touching te last rep at the very least and locking every rep out. Generally if you miss we will make you take it again until you get it. We had one guy take the same weight, for a triple, 9 times in a night. It was fun! But it makes you strong and makes you confident with the weight. For the singles weeks, you can do whatever you want, but I would recommend hitting the goal weight for the day and then movng on to your assistance work. Unless you feel very confident that you can take a heavier weight and not miss, you shouldn't do it.

Also if you're training with only one person, it would be smart to do your benching in a power rack with safety pins. It's really hard for one guy to catch the weight if you drop it.

smitsky
10-24-2010, 09:39 AM
I approach the boar work as both a warmup and as my Max effort for the day, so I cycle boards. I've done 2,3,4 and 1,2,3 and right now I just go to a 2 then a 3 (these are on different weeks) and I never use the 4 anymore. If your shirt set for the day is pretty far off your best board, you can take the shirt to a board to get you there but it looks like your board numbers are pretty high compared to your shirt so you should have no problem.

With triples and doubles it's best to do 1 set and make sure you do it right. This means touching te last rep at the very least and locking every rep out. Generally if you miss we will make you take it again until you get it. We had one guy take the same weight, for a triple, 9 times in a night. It was fun! But it makes you strong and makes you confident with the weight. For the singles weeks, you can do whatever you want, but I would recommend hitting the goal weight for the day and then movng on to your assistance work. Unless you feel very confident that you can take a heavier weight and not miss, you shouldn't do it.

Also if you're training with only one person, it would be smart to do your benching in a power rack with safety pins. It's really hard for one guy to catch the weight if you drop it.

Ok, here's what I plan to do on bench day (tomorrow). Let me know what you think:

Start with the bar X 15 X 2 sets like usual. Then warm up on a 3 board and do a heavy set raw to the board. Since I'm planning to follow the routine you outlined above, I will do 245 lbs for what feels moderate (maybe a double).

I will then put the shirt on and go straight to my shirted worksets, which for this week are Triples (at 245 lbs). I will do what Vinny told me to do in another Thread: "Don't use boards to break in the shirt because it's not as good for learning the groove of the shirt."

I will tell my training partner to try his best to call my reps as you described. I'll try to touch on the last rep. If I don't touch, I'll keep doing sets until either I do touch, or I'm pretty fried.

I'll then do whatever assistance work I can do depending on how much steam I have left.

drew
10-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Sounds good. Make sure if you are doing multiple sets that your form holds up. When you start to see a breakdown in form it would be wise to shut it down. Really make every effort to touch that last rep. Keep forcing the belly and hips up and squeeze the glutes and tuck the elbows hard. Good luck.

smitsky
10-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Started a new cycle tonight. Did my best to touch on the 3rd rep of the Triples I did with my workset weight of 245 lbs. My training partner told me that I got closer and closer, but I think I was still at least an inch away. It got late and I had to leave, but I could have kept doing sets.

Today's Bodyweight: 188 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5 (add 3 board)
165 X 4
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 2
245 X 2
245 X 3 X 6 Sets (to chest without boards; no touch)

Close Grip Bench Press (mid grip):

205 X 3 X 3

Wide-Grip Pullups:

BW X 6 X 3

Triceps Pushdowns (light band):

25 reps (for prehab)

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I got my MRI done tonight. It was done 1 hour and 15 minutes late which put a serious cut in my training time.

I have been icing my bad right elbow. It's now swelling up on me due to shirted benching.

I felt drained during my abreviated raw bench session.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

135 X 6 X 2 Sets
155 X 5
185 X 4 X 2
220 X 3 X 2
250 X 1 (spotter assist on 2nd)
225 X 3 X 2

smitsky
10-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Was able to bench again after the night's rest. The will be 3X benching this week. Also did some GPP on an empty stomach which had me feelin' real explosive.

Still using anti inflammitory gel for elbow tendonitis, but the gel is running out and the condition is still there

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
155 x 3
185 X 3
225 X 2
255 X 1 X 2
235 X 4

GPP Work:

30 minutes Walk/Jog/Run (city streets)

smitsky
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
The bad news is that I didn't get a touch in the shirt this session. The good news is that I again got extremely close to touching and feel as if I am learning the groove of the shirt in a way that I never felt with a tight shirt before. I lost track of how many sets I did in the shirt today, but I know it was over 10. My form didn't break down, and I didn't need help on any rep. That's a lot of Triples with 265, which must be making me stronger, as far as I can see.

I forgot to start with boards today, so I'll try to train the high end at some point during the week.

Today's Bodyweight: 186 3/4 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 3
165 X 3
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 2
245 X 1
260 X 1
265 X 3 (43 fury on; no touch)
265 X 2 (didn't hold breath, so shut triple down; no touch)
265 X 3 X 10+ (no touch)

Bench Press Dumbbell Repetition Method:

75's X 16 (PR :evillaugh:)

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Upper body was feelin' kinda beat up today from Monday's marathon shirt session, plus I got to the gym late and had to help my training partner with his shirt.

Today's Bodyweight: 185 1/4 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Board Press:

135 X 3 (to 2 board)
155 X 3
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 3
245 X 1
235 X 3 (to 3 board)
245 X 1
225 X 3
205 X 3

Band Triceps Pushdowns (light band for prehab):

20 reps

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
11-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Was going to go in the shirt again today, but I discovered I didn't have it with me.

Today's Bodyweight: 189 lbs.

Today's Workout:

3 Board Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
150 X 5
185 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 3
240 X 3
245 X 3
220 X 3 X 3

Pullups:

BW + 25 X 3
BW X 6 X 3

Band Triceps Pushdowns (light band):

20 reps

Abdominal Exercises

vdizenzo
11-09-2010, 06:48 AM
It sounds like you are getting the hang of it. A quick question, are you holding your breath for all three reps? I really think that's important. Also, make sure you are icing like crazy with that injury. Lastly, if the inflammation is too much to handle, cut back on your raw day. If your mind is made up to bench in a shirt, master that. Once you have that, you can always build strength. Best of luck.

smitsky
11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
It sounds like you are getting the hang of it. A quick question, are you holding your breath for all three reps? I really think that's important. Also, make sure you are icing like crazy with that injury. Lastly, if the inflammation is too much to handle, cut back on your raw day. If your mind is made up to bench in a shirt, master that. Once you have that, you can always build strength. Best of luck.

Thanks Vinny.

Definitely. I know that holding the breath for all 3 reps is an integral part of the technique. If I somehow screw up and let my breath out, I stop and take the set again. Holding my breath like this is something that comes pretty naturally to me. I'm used to doing it, and have used it in the past.

Yes, I'm icing the elbow as much as I can. It (the tendonitis) does not impede my benching. I was feeling it quite a bit during any pulling movements, but now that has subsided as well. I didn't feel it at all during the pullups for example, while before it really hurt. If it starts to get too lit up, I will pull back on the raw day. Heavy volume, if I can recover adequately from it, is something that I feel I respond well to. Yes, I will make shirted benching my focus.

smitsky
11-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Wednesday 11/10/10

Touched in the shirt! :thumbup:

Finally touched in a tight shirt after years of trying on and off! Using the Triples technique (link here) (http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-triples.htm) I was able to touch 285 lbs to my chest. I got it on the 3rd set very slightly. I proceeded to do 2 more sets, each time touching more. On the last set I was shot, and unable to press the last rep up without spotter assist.

Today's Bodyweight: 187 1/2 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5 (to 3 board)
155 X 4
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 3
245 X 1
265 X 1
285 X 3 (to chest; no touch)
285 X 3 (no touch)
285 X 3 (touch on 3rd)
285 X 3 (touch on 3rd)
285 X 3 (touch and spotter assist on 3rd)

Triceps Pushdowns (lat bar):

45 X 3
60 X 3
75 X 3
85 X 3
85 X 6 X 3

Band Triceps Pushdowns (light band):

20 reps

Abdominal Exercises

drew
11-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Nice work bro! Keep working the technique and increasing the weight. Now you should be getting your set done and then move on to your assistance. No need to be taking more sets in the shirt once you hit your goal fo the day.

smitsky
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Nice work bro! Keep working the technique and increasing the weight. Now you should be getting your set done and then move on to your assistance. No need to be taking more sets in the shirt once you hit your goal fo the day.

Thanks a lot Drew!

Ok. Will do.

I've got this situation going on. This is what I'm planning to do. Let me know if you think I should be doing something different.

:idea:

Two of my training partners are doing different USAPL meets in mid-December. They want me to compete along with them. I would have to do a Bench Only meet, because my Deadlift is on hold due to my herniated discs acting up. I would rather feel a lot more secure in the shirt, and have completed this cycle so that I can get above the 300 lb-level in the bench. I'm thinking that maybe I'll be a bit more ready by the end of January to do the IPA NJ States.

drew
11-12-2010, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't do a USAPL meet if it was free and held down the street. But that is my opinion.

If you want to compete in December, that gives you less than 4 weeks. If you were very good in the shirt, I would say go for it. But at this point, even January is pushing it a little bit. If I were in your shoes, I would stick to the plan and if you are hitting your singles without a lot of trouble, go ahead and do the IPA in Jersey. Personally, I have been known to do a meet with less than 8 weeks to prepare. Sometimes it works out. But I have been benching in a shirt for 4 years and I am very confident with it.

smitsky
11-12-2010, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't do a USAPL meet if it was free and held down the street. But that is my opinion.

If you want to compete in December, that gives you less than 4 weeks. If you were very good in the shirt, I would say go for it. But at this point, even January is pushing it a little bit. If I were in your shoes, I would stick to the plan and if you are hitting your singles without a lot of trouble, go ahead and do the IPA in Jersey. Personally, I have been known to do a meet with less than 8 weeks to prepare. Sometimes it works out. But I have been benching in a shirt for 4 years and I am very confident with it.

Thanks again Drew.

Well, I have some serious qualms with the USAPL, but my training partners are staunch supporters of the Fed so it creates a conflict.

That's some solid advice. If I'm ready by the end of January - great. If not, I'll keep working in the gym.

smitsky
11-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Bench Press deload.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
95 X 5
125 X 5
150 X 8

GPP Work:

15 minutes Treadmill Walk/Jog/Run

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
11-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Bench assistance.

Today's Workout:

Incline Bench Press:

Bar X 10 X 2 Sets
140 X 5
160 X 5
185 X 10 (PR)

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press (paused):

28's X 3
33's X 3
40's X 3
50's X 3
50's X 6 X 3

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
11-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Went back into the shirt today. Wasn't feeling my best. First of all, I didn't sleep too good for two nights in a row. I think it was the supps I took Saturday. I've been stacking two together that I think irritate my nervous system - like drinking coffee right before sleeping - but it lasts all day and keeps me from sleeping night after night for a couple of back-to-back nights. Second of all, I had to spot my training partners who both have meets. I take a long warm-up period, and that combined with having to take a back-seat to their routine, kind of puts me at a deficit.

Was strong in the 2 Board Press, hitting 255 X 3 pretty easy. Had to work to lockout that last rep, but got it clean.

Went right into the shirt - well sort of - after a delay of about 20 minutes to spot them.

The first double with 305 didn't touch. It seems to take a while to seat the shirt. I pressed the first rep up on my own, but couldn't get the 2nd without a spot. 305 felt heavy as soon as I took the weight after the handoff. On the 2nd set, I again pressed the 1st rep up on my own. I touched the 2nd rep, spotter assist to lockout and shut it down.

Did pulling movements for bench assistance, as Saturday I did pushing movements.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5 (to 2 boards)
155 X 5
185 X 4
205 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 3
245 X 3
255 X 3
305 X 2 (43 Fury on; no touch; spotter assist on 2nd)
305 X 2 (touch on 2nd & spotter assist on 2nd)

Pullups:

BW X 6 X 3
BW + 25 X 3

Band High Rows (facepulls; light band):

8 reps X 4 sets

Hammer Curls:

28's X 12

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
2nd session of Physical Therapy tonight. I'm learning and performing some great new exercises.

Abbreviated workout:

Close Grip Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5
155 X 5
185 X 4
205 X 3
225 X 3 X 3

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press:

30's X 3
45's X 3
55's X 3
65's X 3

Wanted to do more but time ran out...

smitsky
11-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Bench Assistance.

Ran second week of 5/3/1 on the Incline Bench and hit a PR.

Today's Workout:

Incline Bench:

Bar X 10 X 2 Sets
150 X 3
175 X 3
215 X 5 (PR)

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown:

55 X 3
70 X 3
85 X 3
100 X 3
120 X 3
140 X 3
140 X 6 X 3

Kennelly's Dumbbells:

30's X 3
35's X 3
40's X 3
40's X 6 X 3

Dumbbell Cleans:

15's X 10
18's X 10
18's X 15 X 2

Light Band Pushdowns:

20 reps

GPP Work:

26 minutes Treadmill Walk/Jog/Run/Sprint w/ Average Heartrate = 134 bpm

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Today's Bodyweight: 184 1/2 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5 (to 3 boards)
155 X 4
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 2
245 X 1
265 X 1
285 X 1 (PR)
325 X 2 (43 fury on; touched on 2nd; spotter assist on both reps)

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (paused):

30's X 3
40's X 3
50's X 3
60's X 3
70's X 3
70's X 6 X 3

Light Band Tricep Pushdowns:

25 reps

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I did 0 GPP last week.

I would have gone in the shirt today, but my training partner wasn't able to spot me. Instead I opted to do bench assistance (pushing muscles). I hit 195 X 9 and may have had another rep in me. I felt pretty fried after 9 so I stopped.

Today's Bodyweight: 185 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Incline Bench Press:

Bar X 10 X 2 Sets
150 X 3
175 X 3
195 X 9 (PR)

40's X 3
50's X 3
60's X 3
70's X 3
70's X 6 X 3

Dips:

BW X 6 X 4

Light Band Triceps Pushdowns:

25 reps

Glute Ham Raise:

BW X 8 X 2

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
12-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Went for my last week of Doubles in the shirt.

Today's Bodyweight: 185 1/4 lbs.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 5 (to 2 boards)
155 X 4
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 2
235 X 1
260 X 2
345 X 2 (43 fury on; touched on 2nd; spotter assist on both)

Wide-grip Pullups:

BW X 3
BW + 25 X 3
BW + 25 X 4 X 3
BW X 6 X 2

Wide-grip Lat Pulldowns:

85 X 3
100 X 3
120 X 3
140 X 3
140 X 6 X 3

Hammer Curls:

28's X 3
30's X 6
35's X 5 X 3

Abdominal Exercises

smitsky
12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Monday December 13th

Bench assistance (pushing movements).

Incline Bench Press:

Bar X 10 X 2 Sets
135 X 5 X 2
160 X 5
185 X 3
205 X 7

65's X 3
70's X 3
75's X 3
75's X 6 X 3

Fat Bar Triceps Pushdowns:

70 X 10 X 3

Standing Military Press:

95 X 8 X 3

Abdominal Exercises

Wednesday December 15th

Bench Assistance (pulling muscles)

Today's Bodyweight: 187 lbs.

Today's Workout:

3 Board Press:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 8
155 X 8
185 X 6
205 X 5
225 X 5 X 3

Dumbbell Rows:

75's X 8 X 3

Lat Pulldowns:

70 X 8 X 3

smitsky
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I hope everyone had happy holidays.

I decided to stop the shirted benching cycle I was on. I was scheduled to do Singles with 365 up to 405.

I decided that my spine was in no shape to do this.

I am now concentrating on raw benching.

These are my last PR's following 5/3/1:

Incline: 205 X 10
Bench Press: 240 X 7

Any questions, let me know.

Good luck!

~S.

smitsky
01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
New PR in the Incline Bench Press:

265 X 1

Went up easy. Had more in me.

This was a 25 lb PR ;)

drew
01-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Nice PR bro. Sorry to hear you're dropping the shirt work, hopefully it's just temporary. Keep pushing.

smitsky
01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Nice PR bro. Sorry to hear you're dropping the shirt work, hopefully it's just temporary. Keep pushing.

Thanks Man!

I have to drop Full Powerlifting. I have a bad condition with my spine. I can't Squat or Deadlift any more. I noticed that shirted benching overload pressure was a lot for my spine as well. I've got to be smart here...

I'll keep the Forum posted...

Thanks again!

smitsky
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Smashed through my old PR of 280 lbs by 20 lbs. Baby

Weighed in at 193 lbs.

Bench Press and Bench Assistance:

Bar X 15 X 2 Sets
135 X 3
155 X 3
185 X 3
205 X 2 X 2
225 X 2
245 X 1
280 X 1 100%
300 X 1 PR!
275 X 3 PR
255 X 4 PR

Hammer Strength Iso Incline Bench Machine (both sides together):

98 X 10
148 X 10

Kennelly's Dumbbells (off bench):

30's X 10
35's X 10

Bradford Press:

65 X 10 X 2

smitsky
02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I guess no one here cares? That's ok. I'll keep breaking my own records until I'm the monster that I am destined to become. Thanks anyway.

smitsky
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
That being said, I have continued to break my own records in the Bench Press and the Incline Bench Press.

I hit 245 X 7 in the Bench Press.

I hit 225 X 8 in the Incline Bench Press.

According to the 5/3/1 calculator, that puts me:

Bench Press: 302
Incline Bench Press: 285

Be right back with more records.

drew
02-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Hey man just checking in. Nice benching. Congrats on the 300! Keep it rolling.

smitsky
02-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey man just checking in. Nice benching. Congrats on the 300! Keep it rolling.

Hey Man! Thanks. Glad someone is following ;)

smitsky
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm pulling back from Incline Benching. The last incline work I did was a 240 X 4 5/3/1 workset which represented a 4.5% pullback from my current max in the movement which is roughly 285 X 1 (hit 225 X 8).

I did not do a deload session in the incline, and have not done work since Feb. 8th.

I did a Bench deload on Feb. 12th.

My first session back from the deload I hit 230 X 8 as my top 5/3/1 workset which represented a 3.6% pullback from my current max in the movement which is roughly 302 X 1 (hit 245 X 7).

smitsky
02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Hit 275 X 1 at a bodyweight of 194 lbs.

smitsky
06-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I have recently hit 245 X 8 in the Bench Press, and am getting ready to max out in the gym.

I'm going to open with 305 lbs., and take it from there.