PDA

View Full Version : Cutting - hit a wall

greemah
10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
I have been cutting for bit over a month and have hit a bit of a plateu. I have lost 3kg so far (6.6 lbs) by cutting calories from 3150 (bulking) to 2400. Carbs are below 200g each day except workout days around 275g.

I haven't lost any weight in a bit over a week though even though I haven't broken my diet.

I don't want to cut calories anymore though as last year I cut down 5kg (11 lbs) lighter than I am now doing a 2300 cal diet. I was significantly leaner then.

Is cardio my only option here? Are fat burners any good? I really don't want to start doing cardio and just manipulate my diet but not having much luck. Or is it possible the weight loss will start happening again if I just keep following this.

FYI I haven't lost any strength yet if that means anything. Also I am 6" and currently weigh 86kg (190 lbs)

Allen Cress
10-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Many factors to take into account here. But in general just because you didn't loose weight on the scale in a week does not mean you need to change something. Your body doesn't work in such a manner to always loose a certain amount or weight week in and week out. When doing a cutting phase take your time and be patient and consistent, if you havent progressed in any sense (by what you look like, hunger levels, scale weight, etc..) then you need to adjust somewhere whether it be diet or training related.

I've had clients, even competitors, where they didn'r change one aspect of their diet for 2-3 months and still progressed and got results and I've had others where slight modifications where needed every 3-4 weeks, but in no way to you change something because something didn't happen in just a week.

Like I said there are many factors to watch for and make sure you are being objective and realistic with your progress you don't want to start pinballing.

greemah
10-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks Allen. I'll give it another 1-2 weeks and see how the scale and mirror is then

The Spartan
10-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Many factors to take into account here. But in general just because you didn't loose weight on the scale in a week does not mean you need to change something. Your body doesn't work in such a manner to always loose a certain amount or weight week in and week out. When doing a cutting phase take your time and be patient and consistent, if you havent progressed in any sense (by what you look like, hunger levels, scale weight, etc..) then you need to adjust somewhere whether it be diet or training related.

I've had clients, even competitors, where they didn'r change one aspect of their diet for 2-3 months and still progressed and got results and I've had others where slight modifications where needed every 3-4 weeks, but in no way to you change something because something didn't happen in just a week.

Like I said there are many factors to watch for and make sure you are being objective and realistic with your progress you don't want to start pinballing.

Well spoken!

Joe Black
10-21-2010, 04:03 AM
When I was cutting, I hit a few sticking points that just seemed impossible to break through - then one day I dipped a couple of lbs and things got moving. No idea why, I didn't change anything significantly.

I think hanging tight for a couple of weeks is a great idea - let us know if things drop.

greemah
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Well, been a week and still no change (mirror or scale). In a scenario like this, would dropping 200cal per day be a good idea or would it need to be more?

f=ma
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
i would add in cardio before dropping more cals -- for now

also... i had much more success with moderate carbs (225g or so) on all days but 1 higher carb day rather than low carbing... but to each their own

also, are you sure youre counting cals correctly? are you weighing food or estimating? weight vs eyeballing makes a huge difference

greemah
10-31-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the advice, I will give cardio a shot.

Are fat burners any good? I do Leangains so in the morning fat burners may be good maybe

vdizenzo
11-03-2010, 06:28 AM
I am by no means an expert on diet, I was just curious if throwing in one high carb day could help the op? Didn't Albert Einstein say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

greemah
11-04-2010, 01:32 AM
What is high carb? I eat around 150-180 grams of carbs a day just with my normal diet, surely that's not low enough for a carb up day?

I always have a good 80g or so of carbs in my post-workout meal

Mercuryblade
11-04-2010, 12:29 PM

This should somehow be programmed to just automatically show up into every cutting post.

Joe Black
11-05-2010, 02:57 AM
heh, I'll try and hack it in... perhaps when someone starts a thread that contains the words 'cutting' and 'wall' showing up together we should force them only to be able to see that message for 24 hours :eek: