PDA

View Full Version : Too much milk?

Partyfoul
10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
So I have decided to start a gaining cycle. I was in a motorcycle crash about 2 months ago. At the time of the crash I weighed 185~189lbs. Since I have healed I have been going hard on my legs which I injured the most and have shot up to 205lbs. However I have a really weird diet and I am on a grave yard shift schedule.

Morning (12 P.M)
1x Bowl of Life Cereal (Maybe 2 if I am really hungry)
Protein shake before the gym

Lunch (4. P.M.)
2~4 Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (It is my crack :( )
3 20ounce glasses of milk and a post gym protein shake.

Dinner (6~8 P.M.)
Really depends on where I go. I try to get something healthy but I love a good chicken and cheese Stromboli.
Water to drink or Sweet Tea

Any snacks past 8 are usually trail mix nuts with water (Though I have had a glass or 2 of arizona tea recently or orange juice).

Do you think my milk intake is too high? I am going through a Gallon of milk in about 2 days.
Also I use Skippys natural peanut butter. Not the healthiest peanut butter but like I said it is my addiction :X

Keith
10-20-2010, 09:06 PM
People on here drink up to a gallon and a half in a day from what I've seen and they have zero health problems. You're fine with a gallon in 2 days, drink up!

josh21barnes
10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Its fine just healthy for you because you also in the recovery process. Specially you have injured your leg.
Some here drinks more milk than you but still in a healthy condition.

Cmanuel
10-20-2010, 10:51 PM
crap about milk being bad for kids

um. We are adults here. Not toddlers. Durrrr

Drink up dude. I am on 1/2 - 1 gallon of whole milk a day and i havent felt better in my life. Yeah i poop a lot but other than that strength and size is going through the roof

tom183
10-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Do you think my milk intake is too high? I am going through a Gallon of milk in about 2 days.

No. Everyone has different tolerances. If you can handle it, do it.

RichMcGuire
10-21-2010, 04:52 AM
milk is good but not too much because Cow's milk is a very good source of protein, calcium and other nutrients that are essential for a child's normal growth and development. Milk is also rich in fat and calories. The fat in the milk is important for nerve and brain development. This is why skim or 2% milk are not recommended for children less than 2 years of age.

What are the consequences drinking too much milk? Infants and toddlers who consume too much milk often have no appetite for meals or snacks. So although they consume enough calories to grow, they will not be getting the benefits of eating a balanced diet. Another important effect of "over-consumption of milk" is related to iron. Iron is another essential nutrient necessary for proper growth and development. Regular homogenized cow's milk does not contain enough iron. As a matter of fact, what little iron is in milk is not very well absorbed by a child's intestine and does not get into the body. So not only is milk a poor source of iron, drinking too much, results in a child eating less of other foods that would normally provide the iron they need. Also, in some cases the cow's milk protein may actually irritate a child's intestine causing low level, long standing, yet almost invisible blood loss in the stools. What does this mean? Since the major storage area of iron is in our red blood cells, if we lose blood, we lose iron. All these factors contribute to iron deficiency anemia, which means that the body cannot make enough red blood cells due to a lack of iron. So these infants and toddlers which have iron deficiency anemia are referred to as "Milk-babies" because their complexion is whiter or paler than normal they due to anemia. Anemia can also cause fatigue, irritability and in severe cases even heart failure. In terms of long term effects, studies have shown that iron deficiency anemia during the first years of life, may cause delays in the psychomotor development of a child.

So the bottom line is that although cow's milk is an important source of calcium and protein, drinking too much is not good and may be harmful. Here are some general tips:

Cow's milk is not suitable for most of the first year of life. Breastfeeding is best
Cow's milk does not contain enough iron
Skim or 2% milk are not recommended for children less than 2 years of age.
Toddlers and older children should drink no more than 24 ounces of milk per day

On a final note, contrary to public belief, milk has not been shown to increase mucus secretions.
i have searched this so shared here,..its useful information,..

I recently calculated my diet to figure out all of my essential nutrients/vitamins to make sure my diet was balanced.

My day:

1 gallon of whole milk
4 french fries from mcdonalds
3 cheeseburgers from mcdonalds

I was over on every single nutrient. The %'s were higher or average with what the RDA expected of me as well.

Vitamin intake:

My intake vs RDA recommendations (avg levels, not upper levels)

Vitamin A 1197.5 900
Vitamin E 11 15
Vitamin C 71.4 90
Thiamin 2.6 1.2
Riboflavin 8.3 1.3
Niacin 30.2 16
Vitamin B6 4.1 1.3
Folate 414.6 400
Vitamin B12 20.8 2.4

Mineral intake:
My intake vs RDA

Calcium 5003.5 1000
Phosphorus 4716.2 700
Magnesium 668.9 400
Sodium 4700 1500-2300
Potassium 9898 4700
Iron 13.3 8
Zinc 26.6 11
Selenium 207.7 55

I wasn't over a crazy amount or anything.. and these figures were avg levels for a person of my weight, height, gender, and age. So, of course, there are always upper tolerable levels that I wasn't even close to hitting.

It's easy to say "make sure your diet is balanced to get enough nutrients" but by looking at what I ate, you'd swear mine was lacking.

OP - Milk is a great way to get some protein along with other nutrients/minerals and of course.. tons of kcals for building muscle... if that's your thing.

Mercuryblade
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
There are some pretty bad spam detectors in this thread.
Cadman is obviously a bot or a spammer, considering his response, verbatim, is ripped from this site http://www.drpaul.com/library/MILK.html

RichMcGuire
10-21-2010, 06:39 PM
There are some pretty bad spam detectors in this thread.
Cadman is obviously a bot or a spammer, considering his response, verbatim, is ripped from this site http://www.drpaul.com/library/MILK.html

Rofl. And here I was calculating my nutrients and vitamins to disprove the post.

Nice spotting this Mercury. :P