PDA

View Full Version : Using the Westside Barbell Grappler

pricedtosell
10-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Recently started lifting at a gym with access to some Westside Barbell equipment, primarily the Reverse Hyper and the Grappler. I follow the Westside template and have never used the Grappler before. I've started using the Reverse Hyper twice a week, and already have seen big improvements in my squat and deadlift, now I'm looking to incorporate the Grappler into my routine as well.

Basic questions are how often is the Grappler used at Westside? Is it a weekly thing and something utilized by all lifters there (as the Reverse Hyper is?) What's the best way to bring it into my training? It seems like the "Landmine" is the most popular exercise used on it, is it usually just that one exercise used for sets/reps or are a handful of movements integrated in with it? I just assume it's something to use at the end of a workout for your abs/core, but it seems like there are a ton of movements to do on it.

There's not a ton of information out there on the Grappler as there is with the Reverse Hyper, thus all the questions. I want to take full advantage of all the equipment I have access to.

douglasoh5
10-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Dude I can tell you I have never used the grappler while up at westside. I have used it some before but only for rows. idk even where the dang thing is at up at ws. So no its not really used much

pricedtosell
10-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Kind've guessed that, oh well. Still would like to try to use it in my training, any more suggestions?

Travis Bell
10-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Here's a video we made about using the grappler awhile ago - _Yvko69jnug

That grappler was one we had given to Chickenhawk and had him bring it in for that day. We don't even have one at the gym any longer

pricedtosell
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Here's a video we made about using the grappler awhile ago - _Yvko69jnug

That grappler was one we had given to Chickenhawk and had him bring it in for that day. We don't even have one at the gym any longer

Wow, that's surprising to me that there's not even one at the gym anymore. I've seen it used on old videos with Vogelpohl and then had seen that video you linked above so I just assumed it had been getting at least some consistent use over the years.

This info is more of a relief than anything, now I don't have to worry that I'm missing out on something important because I'm not using it.