PDA

View Full Version : Strongman/ powerlifting routine

patricky
10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi all.
I have pretty much everything I need for lifting weights.
I do strongman lifting and seem to be doing well with it.
I looked at some routines on the net for strong man and came up with the routine below.
I figured I would train normally with the addition of westside speed principals.

If it looks like too much I have done sheiko training with great results. I reckon I have good recovery ability. I get to sleep and long as I want and eat 300G protein a day. Don't have to work either.:evillaugh:

So how does it look?

Monday
Deadflifts 5 heavy singles
Squat 3x5
Glute ham raise 3x5
Reverse hyper 3x5

Tuesday
Bench 3x5
Dips 3x5
Chins 3x5
Rows 3x5

Thursday
DE squat/deadlift
Squat 10x2 50%, deadlift 6 singles 60%
Glute ham raise 3x5
Reverse hyper 3x5

Friday DE Bench
Speed bench 8x3 60%
Dumbbell press 3x5
Chins 3x5
Rows 3x5

Saturday.
Strongman events day
Log press 3x5
Farmers walk 2 walks 50 metres
Yolk carry 2 walks 50 metres
5 atlas stone lifts

Ryan Bracewell
10-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Everyone is different but in my experience, and the experience of several pros I am friends with, this looks like too much.....atleast long term. It appears that you are trying to run a westside style training with strongman on weekends but I find this is too hard on the nervous system and joints. I find that 2 or maybe 3 days in the gym with one day of true events works best for me. The system I have run for the past 2 years is basically like this.

Tues - ME lower: Deadlift heavy, squat light(or vise versa), accessories

Thursday - ME Upper: pick any exercise for ME plus accessory. If I have a max event coming up in contest I will be sure to rotate that in on ME upper day

Saturday - Events: mostly lower body stuff like yoke, farmers, stones, etc. pick 2-4 events depending on how heavy I am gonig.

Sunday - DE upper: typically this will be with event type exercises like log for reps or DB for reps, but if I do not have a strongman contest coming up it will be a standard style westside DE upper.

patricky
10-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Everyone is different but in my experience, and the experience of several pros I am friends with, this looks like too much.....atleast long term. It appears that you are trying to run a westside style training with strongman on weekends but I find this is too hard on the nervous system and joints. I find that 2 or maybe 3 days in the gym with one day of true events works best for me. The system I have run for the past 2 years is basically like this.

Tues - ME lower: Deadlift heavy, squat light(or vise versa), accessories

Thursday - ME Upper: pick any exercise for ME plus accessory. If I have a max event coming up in contest I will be sure to rotate that in on ME upper day

Saturday - Events: mostly lower body stuff like yoke, farmers, stones, etc. pick 2-4 events depending on how heavy I am gonig.

Sunday - DE upper: typically this will be with event type exercises like log for reps or DB for reps, but if I do not have a strongman contest coming up it will be a standard style westside DE upper.

Yeah maybe you're right and it is too much.
I'll go with your way of doing it and see how it works out.

Tom Mutaffis
10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Patricky -

The routine that you posted looks like a powerlifting routine that someone added a strongman day to, and as Ryan said it probably will not be very effective.

Here is an article that I wrote with a couple of example training templates:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effective_strongman_routine.php

patricky
10-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks tom.
I'll follow the strong focused routine.

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks tom.
I'll follow the strong focused routine.

Sounds good.

Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with (putting together event training workouts, customizing the routine, etc.).