PDA

View Full Version : training 6-7 times a week

BoAnderson71
10-26-2010, 06:15 PM
I was surfing the internet looking for interesting strongman related things. I found many pro strongmen including kevin nee and mariusz pudzianowski train 7 days a week. Is this BS or true? I have seen multiple sites that say they do this. How can a human being do this?

Travis Bell
10-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Yes a lot of them do. I don't know about those two specifically but I'm sure there is a lot of speculation on their actual training.

They are pro athletes so they have the ability to spend appropriate time recovering but they also vary the intensity of each session.

Kiff
10-27-2010, 12:05 PM
They are pro athletes so they have the ability to spend appropriate time recovering but they also vary the intensity of each session.

They are also the elite genetically as well :)

vdizenzo
10-29-2010, 05:48 AM
I have found even now that I am in my 40's I have been training more frequently than ever. I believe It's a direct result of building up my work capacity, spending lots of time on recovery, and proper nutrition/supplementation.

LanceGoyke
10-29-2010, 06:14 AM
They are also the elite genetically as well :)

They are also "aided". All of those things combine to make superhuman recovery very real.

I wouldn't train HEAVY 6-7 days a week, but that high of frequency is entirely possible if you wanted. You just have to be smart about it; if it feels like it's kicking your ass (i.e. you have no motivation to train or feel sluggish all the time), you need to change it up.

mike mcgee
11-04-2010, 06:13 AM
All great comments. You have to take what you read about "professional" athletes, etc... with a grain of salt. These individuals are usually sponsored, they have trainers and doctors on staff or available and probably even someone cooking their food. I'm sure at this point, Marius is a National Treasure and has everything a man could ever need to assist him. Your best resource is probably right here on the forum. You'll get real advice from real people.

BoAnderson71
11-04-2010, 10:08 PM
All great comments. You have to take what you read about "professional" athletes, etc... with a grain of salt. These individuals are usually sponsored, they have trainers and doctors on staff or available and probably even someone cooking their food. I'm sure at this point, Marius is a National Treasure and has everything a man could ever need to assist him. Your best resource is probably right here on the forum. You'll get real advice from real people.

I wasnt planning on following their routine, I have my own. No they do not have their own cook, mariusz had another job while he was doing strongman.

Joe Black
11-05-2010, 03:28 AM
I have found even now that I am in my 40's I have been training more frequently than ever. I believe It's a direct result of building up my work capacity, spending lots of time on recovery, and proper nutrition/supplementation.

THis hit the nail on the head.

If you are intelligent about how you train and eat, you can definitely get to the point where you train this frequently.

Along with what Vincent said, I think having a good strategy for progression is key to training more frequently. You can't train 6 times a week and go balls to the wall every session, you' just going to feel beat up and get injured. Using back off weeks sensibly and also having a strategy around training to failure are very important in my opinion.

Off Road
11-05-2010, 06:44 AM
This begs the question, "If I can get away with training 6 times a week, does that mean I should?"

BoAnderson71
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
This begs the question, "If I can get away with training 6 times a week, does that mean I should?"

It all depends on the your results. If your getting stronger why not? if you are not getting stronger, then no.dc, Ya I seriously doubt their going balls to the wall, it never said anything about the percentages of their 1rm that they use or the intensity of each session.

Joe Black
11-06-2010, 03:08 AM

Generally I would say yes.

I think it was Chris who recently quoted Louie Simmons who said something like 'those who can train more often and heavier will be the strongest.'

Getting big and strong is about lifteing heavy weights, recovering and then repeating. If you can do that more often (assuming effective recovery), you'll get bigger and stronger than training less.

The key is to know where your limit is and to try and increase it over time.

I'm training 5 times per week right now. 2 upper, 2 lower and 1 met con. It's reasonably tough, but with good nutrition and proper mobility work inbetween and a fairly specific approach to being patient with progression I can handle this. I'd love to train a bit more but right now thats going to hurt me I think but who knows maybe after a year or so and with my body getting used to this volume maybe I can shift things up a bit. I'll just go by feel and also on the results I am getting.

thats the real key - focus on the rsults you are getting and use them to determine how often you should be training.

Sensei
11-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Not every session is going to be a full-blown balls-to-the-walls workout. Doing some band work and calling it good still counts as a session, so does some sled dragging. If there's a need, mobility/stretching certainly fits the bill as well. As long as you can remember that, there's nothing wrong with making it a goal to train 6-7x/week. WSers used to be big on "mini-sessions" - it's really important to note the "mini" there.

fred123
11-06-2010, 09:01 PM
if your trying to get big and add some mass then this is a BIG NO NO. But if your trying to stay small yet strong then this is perfect. If you dont give your body the chance to recover then you won't get big. You need rest, food, and your muscled need to heal. For example: Professional runners train all the time and never get rest. They are small but that doesn't mean they're weak. They are very strong because they never give their muscles time to recover so they stay small and strong. I

BoAnderson71
11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Not every session is going to be a full-blown balls-to-the-walls workout. Doing some band work and calling it good still counts as a session, so does some sled dragging. If there's a need, mobility/stretching certainly fits the bill as well. As long as you can remember that, there's nothing wrong with making it a goal to train 6-7x/week. WSers used to be big on "mini-sessions" - it's really important to note the "mini" there.

no de work or sled drag only workouts in kevin nee's routine.

DAY WORKOUT SETS REPS**

MON Bench Press Barbell/Dumbell* 3-6 6-8
MON Incline Press Barbell/Dumbell* 3-6 6-8
MON Dumbell Pec Flys 3-6 6-8
MON Dumbell Press w/ Hands in Long Position 3-6 6-8

TUE Deadlift / Back Squats* 3-6 6-8
TUE Cable Lat Pulldowns 3-6 6-8
TUE Dumbell Rows 3-6 6-8
TUE Close Grip Rows 3-6 6-8

WED Log Press - -
WED Tire Flip Medleys - -
WED Drag - -

THU Front Squats 3-6 6-8
THU Lunges 3-6 6-8
THU Hack Squats 3-6 6-8
THU Leg Curls 3-6 6-8
THU Leg Extensions 3-6 6-8
THU Straight Leg Deadlifts 3-6 6-8

FRI Push Press Behind/Front* 3-6 6-8
FRI Seated Press Dumbell/Barbell* 3-6 6-8
FRI Seated Dumbell Press w/ Hands in Long Position 3-6 6-8
FRI Lateral/Front Raises 3-6 6-8
FRI Skull Crushers 3-6 6-8
FRI Tricep Kickbacks 3-6 6-8
FRI Lockouts in Rack 3-6 6-8

SAT Power Cleans 3-6 6-8
SAT Snatches 3-6 6-8
SAT Rack Pulls 3-6 6-8
SAT Abs 3-6 6-8

SUN Farmers Walk - -
SUN Yoke Walk - -
SUN Heavy Tire Flip - -
SUN Stones - -

* Alternate Weekly
** Actual Reps Data Could Not Be Found

BoAnderson71
11-07-2010, 01:22 AM
if your trying to get big and add some mass then this is a BIG NO NO. But if your trying to stay small yet strong then this is perfect. If you dont give your body the chance to recover then you won't get big. You need rest, food, and your muscled need to heal. For example: Professional runners train all the time and never get rest. They are small but that doesn't mean they're weak. They are very strong because they never give their muscles time to recover so they stay small and strong. I

I know its a big nono for adding strength and mass, but i dont know if youve seen nee and pudzianowski but they are about as big and as strong as they come. Thats why i dont think that the workouts posted on these websites are legitimate. Or they alternate between which days are going to be low and or high intensity.

Sensei
11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Bo,
I think if we could follow Kevin around for a couple of months, we'd find out he doesn't follow that to the letter very often... Maybe (and I'm not saying he couldn't if he wanted to), but I doubt it.

BoAnderson71
11-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Bo,
I think if we could follow Kevin around for a couple of months, we'd find out he doesn't follow that to the letter very often... Maybe (and I'm not saying he couldn't if he wanted to), but I doubt it.

yeah, he probably does 2 weeks on 1 week off or something like that when doing that much work. But then again that program could be malarkey and not what he does at all.

mchicia1
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I know its a big nono for adding strength and mass, but i dont know if youve seen nee and pudzianowski but they are about as big and as strong as they come. Thats why i dont think that the workouts posted on these websites are legitimate. Or they alternate between which days are going to be low and or high intensity.

Yeah I am sure Mariusz is natural too :). Ive seen the best size and strength gains by training less and taking more deload weeks. I am natural though...

vdizenzo
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Isn't Kevin Nee always injured?

BoAnderson71
11-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah I am sure Mariusz is natural too :). Ive seen the best size and strength gains by training less and taking more deload weeks. I am natural though...

I dont train 6-7times a week nor am I considering it. i do 3 in the gym and one day of events. just thought it would be a interesting thread to start.

BoAnderson71
11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Isn't Kevin Nee always injured?

Yes.